IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Our company let's us take 1 class per quarter on upcoming tech stuff of our choosing, as long as it is somewhat technically relevant. They're just short, 8 hour classes. Sometimes if there's some tech we absolutely need to know or at least be highly aware of they'll do a full-week class and we'll all sign up or one of us will sign up and teach the rest - things like PCI-e specifications, architecture changes, Intel designs, etc.

I realize my career is slightly more tunnel-vision than most.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I can't speak for everyone but the reason I've tripled my salary in the last 5 years is because I was tinkering with all aspects of the software I work with from backend to architecture to development to deployment and even server maintenance. I know a lot more about every aspect of what I do than most people do and can get things done a lot quicker and better because of it. I went from a junior never even having heard of the software I work with today to an architect that's in charge of everything including other code bases in 6 years.

That wouldn't have been possible if I wasn't playing around with my own ideas outside of work on my own time. But I didn't do that just to get ahead, I did it because I was genuinely curious and wanted to test my skills.

I guess what I'm trying to say DW is, if you don't genuinely enjoy doing it even outside of work hours it will make it more difficult to jump start yourself up the corporate ladder because to you it's just a job. To me it's a creative outlet that I get paid for.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I can't speak for everyone but the reason I've tripled my salary in the last 5 years is because I was tinkering with all aspects of the software I work with from backend to architecture to development to deployment and even server maintenance. I know a lot more about every aspect of what I do than most people do and can get things done a lot quicker and better because of it. I went from a junior never even having heard of the software I work with today to an architect that's in charge of everything including other code bases in 6 years.

That wouldn't have been possible if I wasn't playing around with my own ideas outside of work on my own time. But I didn't do that just to get ahead, I did it because I was genuinely curious and wanted to test my skills.

I guess what I'm trying to say DW is, if you don't genuinely enjoy doing it even outside of work hours it will make it more difficult to jump start yourself up the corporate ladder because to you it's just a job. To me it's a creative outlet that I get paid for.
Truth is, the closer your passions are to your work, the more likely you'll excel.

dang, I use tab for white spacing atm
frown.png
I will work on not doing that from now on.

You can use the physical tab key, just make sure your IDE is set to convert tabs to 4 spaces.
Good to know. So far I've only used basic IDEs. JGrasp for Java and Kate for C. I should probably start working in Eclipse but I like the simplicity of my current IDEs.

Vinen

God is dead
Good to know. So far I've only used basic IDEs. JGrasp for Java and Kate for C. I should probably start working in Eclipse but I like the simplicity of my current IDEs.
The fuck would you use those?
Seriously, use Eclipse at a minimum (I'd recommend Intellij)...

You will be MUCH more productive once you learn it.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

Yeah I started dicking around with Java as a project for potentially converting our backend, and having not really messed around with it since High School--where I think we were using BlueJ or Netbeans or something--the most powerful part of Java seems is in Eclipse You start typing something out arc.s... its already suggesting methods.

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah I started dicking around with Java as a project for potentially converting our backend, and having not really messed around with it since High School--where I think we were using BlueJ or Netbeans or something--the most powerful part of Java seems is in Eclipse You start typing something out arc.s... its already suggesting methods.
In the MS world that's known as Intellisense. Every modern IDE has this functionality.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
For linux C++ I use eclipse cdt. It's so much worse than visual studio + visual assist =(

For json I use sublime text, it's the only editor I've found that has syntactical assistance (intellisens) and validation.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Haha, I can just imagine the intellisense on JSON. Actually, no I can't. Does it literally just open and close brackets for you?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I really, really like Intellij. I worked in Eclipse for 4+ years at my internship so the learning curve and forgetting all my muscle memory was tough but it is such a nice and functional IDE. But you gotta pay for it. Probably free for students, though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
No, I don't think so anyway.

If you have
It would help you fill the answer on Bobby B. It's not really that useful, but the live validation is since json is pretty hard to write correctly. Even in that little bit of json I spat out and having worked with json for years it's a coin flip whether it is valid json or not.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I use Oxygen which is an XML editor but most XML editors will validate JSON as well. I think it is OSX only. It is pretty nice as far as XML editors go. I had a bitch of a time finding an XML editor for OSX with XPath capabilities.

True but most of my classes have hand written exams meaning you write your programs on paper and turn in. Awkward as fuck for me honestly. Especially because I cant see wtf my code is doing before I submit. I honestly think its a terrible way to test but I guess it keeps people from cheating. I imagine if I used IDE's that auto filled/auto suggested code or whatnot, I'd probably have a lot more syntax errors on my exams. I am hoping after my sophomore year, this type of testing will be over with.

Vinen

God is dead
True but most of my classes have hand written exams meaning you write your programs on paper and turn in. Awkward as fuck for me honestly. Especially because I cant see wtf my code is doing before I submit. I honestly think its a terrible way to test but I guess it keeps people from cheating. I imagine if I used IDE's that auto filled/auto suggested code or whatnot, I'd probably have a lot more syntax errors on my exams. I am hoping after my sophomore year, this type of testing will be over with.
Wait what. Please tell me it's just basic prototyping like would be expected in an interview. If they look at syntax then LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Wait what. Please tell me it's just basic prototyping like would be expected in an interview. If they look at syntax then LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
so this isn't normal if of a CS program? to me it's not right. Give me a piece of shit thinkpad with no internet capabilities with a text editior and compiler and I would be happy. I can't stand writing programs from scratch on paper. Especially because it is a first time go or no go. I mean a simple test of output and you could catch an obviously stupid mistake but nope. I got an 89 on my first exam because I mixed up a little java syntax with c ( I know stupid mistake) but it is something I would have caught and fixed in a matter of a minute had this been computer based testing. I mean the logic and method was right but simple syntax errors are a -3 here and a -3 here. Easy to lose an easy a from stupid mistakes. Oh well, live ya learn
smile.png

If I can remember correctly. One mistake was initializing one of my variables from within the for loop (can do in java but not in c.)

for (int x = 0; i < 10; i++){

instead of
int x;
for (x = 0; i < 10; i++){

Seems silly to dock 4% of my grade for that but what can ya do :p

I was also docked pts for using this while loop
while (scanf("%d", &input) != EOF){

Which WORKS. I am still unsure of why this is incorrect. I even used this loop in an assignment and got 100. Dunno.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If I can remember correctly. One mistake was initializing one of my variables from within the for loop (can do in java but not in c.)

for (int x = 0; i < 10; i++){

instead of
int x;
for (x = 0; i < 10; i++){

Seems silly to dock 4% of my grade for that but what can ya do :p
Lawl wat