IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
Data Visualization of Hacker News Salary Spreadsheet ??" Medium

I saw this on reddit today. Kind of interesting. It shows Boston kind of in the middle of salary. I was shocked to see Columbus on the list -- unsurprisingly on the lower end.
This is useless data. There is not enough data to draw any valid conclusions assuming all the inputs are 100% accurate.
There a grand total of 12 salaries in Cambridge MA. (I choose all entries in my sort for Cambridge). As you go further out from Boston the salaries shrink quickly until you reach EMC payment. Also the salaries are for people who are ~2 years experience.

Noodle. There is a Software with two years experience with over 100 in annual for your company.

Vinen

God is dead
Why is NYC on there three times?
The data is dirtier than a hipsters butthole.

My wife spends a lot of her time bitching about how bad data is and how it has to be properly cleaned in order to provide any value.

Heard about a hilarious bug that was a result of London having the City of London inside of it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Probably the same reason San Fran is basically there 3 times as well -- free form input fields
Well you can safely ignore this "data" then. "We had people fill out a survey with whatever words they chose and then we did a SUM"

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well they have New York City listed as New York, NYC, and again as New York city. Seemed odd.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I finally set up a LinkedIn profile and its so weird setting it up since it imports my GMail contacts. So my recommended people were people I work with at my company and a ton of ex-girlfriends.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I finally set up a LinkedIn profile and its so weird setting it up since it imports my GMail contacts. So my recommended people were people I work with at my company and a ton of ex-girlfriends.
You email your girlfriends?

ubEV1I0wVkXl.gif

Vinen

God is dead
Ahh Linked In. The land of recruiters from Facebook and Amazon contacting me weekly.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The very first item on my work history is my current job as a Software Engineer and I still get recruiters who ping me for NOC work. I even had a guy from India try and link me. Never clicked the denial button faster.

Tenks

You email your girlfriends?
This was like 8 years ago. It was a different time, man!

It was more because it was easier to transition online dating conversations from the PoF/OKC/Match framework over to traditional email so I could communicate at work. I felt weird being on online sites at work. I also had a flip phone at this time so SMS was still a bit of a pain in the ass compared to today.

Tenks

yey .. im back on scrum and sprints.. yey....
Its hilarious. My company is starting to become extremely, extremely top heavy. So now there is a renewed push by people so far up they can't see shit to "get more agile." So far that means every team now is required to have a daily standup lol. I feel so fucking agile I can't stand it!

Citz

Silver Squire
Its hilarious. My company is starting to become extremely, extremely top heavy. So now there is a renewed push by people so far up they can't see shit to "get more agile." So far that means every team now is required to have a daily standup lol. I feel so fucking agile I can't stand it!
I will go with something more positive:

We are also slowly transitioning to Agile. The nice thing is, it's actually working and we have to deal with so much less red tape now. Not having to deal with the project management office has been a blessing. Management has been very open to this...which is surprising working in the banking sector.

Tenks

Don't worry once something happens that red tape could have prevented the full stack of red tape will come back

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Don't worry once something happens that red tape could have prevented the full stack of red tape will come back
Which would you rather have, the stack of red tape and no blame when shit hits the fan, or no red tape, no power to change things, and all the blame when shit happens? In my experience it's usually one of the two, and when you can hide behind the process you can usually just go home, say fuck you, and feel insulated.

Unless you actually are "in charge" you very rarely have the power to actually fix things, but you sure will catch the blame whether its your fault or not if appropriate red tape isn't involved.