James Gandolfini Dead at 51.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Like him in all the roles I've seen him in, but obviously the Sopranos was his greatest. Very sad, but not all that surprising. Dude wasn't exactly in great shape.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As sad as this is, it was even sadder when i mentioned it in the public channels of the MMO i'm playing, only to be met with "Who is James Gandolfini, what is The Sopranos?" Fucking kids these days.
why do you talk on public channels in an MMORPG?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
i still have never watched one episode of sopranos, but i liked gandolfini from his character actor roles in get shorty, taking of pelham 1, 2 , 3 true romance etc.
Damn Astro, the fuck? Sopranos started the Golden Age of TV--it's the grandfather of shows like Boardwalk, Deadwood and The Wire. Seriously, that's a treasure trove of entertainment waiting for you, I'm kind of envious.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
We owe a lot to the success of the sopranos. Who knows what amazing shows wouldn't exist without sopranos filling the HBO coffers.
We owe everything to him. Without the Sopranos we wouldn't have not just the quality HBO shows we have gotten, but shit other cable networks have taken a chance on. The FXs and AMCs who are taking risks making real shit instead of more Two and a Half Men or whatever, we owe all of that to The Sopranos. And, imo, the success of the Sopranos we owe almost entirely to him. You could have replaced other actors or writers or whatever, but he made that show.

This is some sad shit to wake up to.

iannis

Musty Nester
well this is fucked up to watch
That season felt like the one where the writers decided it should end. But then like wheelbarrows full of money convinced them to do another season or two.

From the other thread, I didn't realize he made so many movies.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
As sad as this is, it was even sadder when i mentioned it in the public channels of the MMO i'm playing, only to be met with "Who is James Gandolfini, what is The Sopranos?" Fucking kids these days.
You can't blame them. I mean, it's an adult show and there are a shitload of episodes to watch. I just turned 27 and the show had been over for a couple years by the time I started watching it in college. That's what happens when shows have had their last episodes that long ago. People forget about them. I'm not going to go back and watch MASH no matter how awesome it might have been.

Show changed entertainment history though. That's for sure.

Good night sweet prince.

gandalf_by_5ic-d5ffvve.jpg

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Anyone else starting to feel old? More and more actors that are actually relevant to me seem to be dying now. Fucking sucks.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
We owe everything to him. Without the Sopranos we wouldn't have not just the quality HBO shows we have gotten, but shit other cable networks have taken a chance on. The FXs and AMCs who are taking risks making real shit instead of more Two and a Half Men or whatever, we owe all of that to The Sopranos. And, imo, the success of the Sopranos we owe almost entirely to him. You could have replaced other actors or writers or whatever, but he made that show.

This is some sad shit to wake up to.
This is the truth. People forget that prior to The Sopranos, HBO was known primarily only as a movie channel and Sopranos opened the door to pretty much any series that has followed (GoT, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, etc).

The list is pretty short of actors that are forever linked to their iconic characters.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Although RDJ will forever be Iron Man in my mind. Yes, he's done plenty of other great things, but he is a perfect Iron Man, much the way James was a perfect Tony Soprano.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Poor OZ
frown.png
never gets any love. Oz was the "trial run". Sopranos really introduced the style of shows being handled more like extended mini-series, or a series that did not sacrifice pacing, story and plot for the need to fill air time for ads (Last season kind of the exception, but even the last season was miles better than most TV). Given how TV worked before cable, and how long it took to actually do it, it was revolutionary. And as Chaos said, it's now breaking out well past subscription channels (Who did it first because they didn't need Ads)--Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Justified ect.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I loved Oz, except for the troubled last couple of seasons. But I don't think it was transformational in the same way that The Sopranos was. Oz took some serious balls to producein 1996.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Oz was a pioneer, but The Sopranos is when America "got it". It resonated in a way that nothing else has before, or maybe even since.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was actually quite bummed when I heard this and that's rarely the case. That show was a game changer for television in general and actually got me writing around that age. RIP Tony