JRPGs

Binks

Golden Knight of the Realm
Berseria's story is on par with most generic anime > The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. The combat, while flashy, is mindless even on high difficulty levels. I think of it as JRPG encounters meets Killer Instinct in that you combo your opponents to death. But, the combos are preset. So, it requires very little attention and I'd recommend having something to watch on TV. Naturally, it's easily playable with mouse and keyboard, but it's not great and there's a few annoyances. Inventory management/enhancing/dismantling are ass and tedious.

Last edited:

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I do agree about the combat getting kind of boring. Like you said, you can basically set an entire combo to a single button and just mash. I didn't like how the other characters played either, Velvet's moves just worked together better I guess.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
what were the past issues?

There were no jobs. Everyone just had the big license board - it was super confusing and easy to gimp a character. With Zodiac they cut the board up into 12 classes (hence the Zodiac name), with each character getting to choose two.

Added the ability to speed up combat/overworld. The PS4/PC versions you can speed it up even more.

Re-worked and added more gambits, made them available sooner.

Spears and Pole weapons can hit flying enemies. In the original game only bows/guns/spells could hit them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There were no jobs. Everyone just had the big license board - it was super confusing and easy to gimp a character. With Zodiac they cut the board up into 12 classes (hence the Zodiac name), with each character getting to choose two.

Added the ability to speed up combat/overworld. The PS4/PC versions you can speed it up even more.

Re-worked and added more gambits, made them available sooner.

Spears and Pole weapons can hit flying enemies. In the original game only bows/guns/spells could hit them.
dang wife gotta play 15 and 12 heh

do we watch the ffxv movie first or is that after playing the game?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
dang wife gotta play 15 and 12 heh

do we watch the ffxv movie first or is that after playing the game?
Movie first, it tells the story right before the game starts and the game start is actually confusing as fuck if you don't watch it(they might have changed it though with all them patches). The anime episodes can also be watched first, although they're not as important. They act as very solid background for the main characters however but I think the various DLC tell those same stories to an extent so you wouldn't miss that much there(Prompto was made a lot less annoying by watching the anime though since it gives an interesting insight on his otherwise iritating as fuck behaviour, but ymmv).

• 1Like

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tales is actually a really frustrating series for me. Graces had the best gameplay and the best title system but everything else was patently ridiculous. Xillia 1/2 I remember being fine, but it's probably not a great thing that all I remember about them is reused assets. Zestiria was just a wretched experience. Berseria was better, but they overdid the Game of Thrones vibe and the combat, as mentioned, felt insubstantial. And for the love of god, console devs - figure out how to deal with loot overflow. Zestiria/Berseria - and Nioh, which is otherwise a sublime game - fucked this up royally.

Abyss is the only 100% solid Tales game I've played. Vesperia seemed so as well, but I got the red ring of death in the middle of it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I liked Xillia but Xillia 2 felt like a rip off, it was a decent game on its own but the fact it was like 80% recycled assets was pretty absurd, especially since it sold at full price. I liked the story/characters though and the combat was fairly nice. Haven't played Berseria yet, waiting for it to drop further but I'll pick it up eventually, I've only heard bad things about Zestiria though so I just won't bother.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I really liked Xillia for some reason. I knew it was kinda shitty but I just enjoyed the atmosphere and characters I guess. Went a bit off after
Milla supposedly died

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also in other news, NISA shit the bed yet again for the PC port of Ys 8. Apparently, they noticed that porting the game to PC is actually not that easy, so they're delaying it '"indefinitely". For the story, they contracted another company to do the PC port originally, then 2days before release they noticed the port was shit and had massive slowdowns and what not so they delayed it and took it upon themselves to do the port, and now they figured they actually can't do it cause they have to rewrite part of the code to make it work smoothly on PC, so they're apparently handing off the project to someone else again that hopefully is more competent than them.

On the upside, the patch that fixes all the rushed translation job they did for the PS4 version isn't delayed, so eh, that fuckup is fixed at least.

Now they have to get this to run on Switch too. They couldn't get it to run on PC but somehow they'll manage to port it to Switch...

• 1Worf

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
I've always thought NISA was a pretty good company, albeit that stems from me loving their SRPGS and little else

Seems they've been shitting the bed a bunch lately - has that always been the case for them or is it somewhat recent?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been playing the fuck out of bravely default. 61 hours in (I grinded money overnight once) and loving it. Only through chapter 4 though and hear it gets worse.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Been playing the fuck out of bravely default. 61 hours in (I grinded money overnight once) and loving it. Only through chapter 4 though and hear it gets worse.

The game was really good up until the bullshit they have you do at the end

You'll know when you get there.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've always thought NISA was a pretty good company, albeit that stems from me loving their SRPGS and little else

Seems they've been shitting the bed a bunch lately - has that always been the case for them or is it somewhat recent?
They've been pretty shitty at porting stuff to other platform(PC mostly) or for large scale translation projects. They're decent on smaller/non story centric projects as long as they are just localizing, although they sometimes take a lot of liberties on the scripts which come to bite them in the ass later on due to lack of consistency between titles or worse sequels.

Just not very consistent basically and quite often pretty shit. There's been a lot of talk about the next Trails of Cold Steel getting localized by NISA instead of Xseed and a lot of people are pretty scared since Trails have massive scripts and it'll be pretty easy to fuck it all up, especially since the first 2 episodes are already done by Xseed(so maybe NISA won't like some localisation choices by Xseed and just change shit, creating inconsistencies in the series).

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I hope the new Ys VIII translation is a massive improvement over the original at least. I'd never play that on anything but PS4 anyway. I got about 8 hours into it and just couldn't take it anymore, especially knowing that a redo was on the way.

And that would be a huge mistake if Falcom takes Cold Steel 3 away from Xseed too, seeing as Xseed hired Durante to do the PC ports of 1 and 2. If they had half a fucking brain they'd have had him do Ys VIII as well. Letting NISA be involved in PC related was always going to end horribly; they can barely handle porting stuff like Disgaea.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They did show an example, and it could be handpicked but it looked a lot better. And they redid all the voices. The fact they released the game as a rushed job and basically started working on a better translation right away is kind of dumb though.

For the Cold Steel thing, most people who are ok with NISA getting the rights for it instead are using the lack of dual audio on Xseed releases as an excuse, which I can kinda get, but getting bad text translations is going to hurt a lot more. It's also possible that Cold Steel 3 could get dual audio because Falcom planned for a western release on their voice acting contract from the start, instead of having old contracts for the other games. It's also something that can be fixed at least on PC by modding it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Meh, fuck dual audio. 99.9% of 'no JP no buy' posts on Steam are from weeaboo faggots who actually understand about a dozen words of Japanese. People need to stop acting like games and anime are the same when it comes to dubs vs. subs. Games almost never have lip sync/mouth flap issues and anime almost never has the problem where a sizeable portion of the speech isn't actually translated (see: every JRPG where characters shout stuff during battle). For people who really want it, there was an undub of Cold Steel PC released within a day or two of the game on Steam. I think people are delusional if they expect Falcom+NISA to cough up the licensing fees for JP audio if Falcom+Xseed couldn't justify it. NISA isn't that big, and Trails is still a pretty niche series.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I generally prefer dubs unless they're at terrible quality.

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Meh, fuck dual audio. 99.9% of 'no JP no buy' posts on Steam are from weeaboo faggots who actually understand about a dozen words of Japanese. People need to stop acting like games and anime are the same when it comes to dubs vs. subs. Games almost never have lip sync/mouth flap issues and anime almost never has the problem where a sizeable portion of the speech isn't actually translated (see: every JRPG where characters shout stuff during battle). For people who really want it, there was an undub of Cold Steel PC released within a day or two of the game on Steam. I think people are delusional if they expect Falcom+NISA to cough up the licensing fees for JP audio if Falcom+Xseed couldn't justify it. NISA isn't that big, and Trails is still a pretty niche series.
From what I've read Falcom just didn't have good contracts for international uses in their older games but with Ys 8 and supposedly Cold Steel 3 they made sure to have contracts that have international rights in them right away so they don't have to renegotiate them, and so supposedly even Xseed should get the original VA for Cold Steel 3, but nothing's really confirmed.

As someone who always uses the JP voice acting if possible and tend to really hate the US dubs, I still would rather get better translation than the right voices though. Ultimately I'd rather have both but I'll pick shitty US dub with good text translation than good voices, in large part because I skip 3/4 of the voice acting anyway, I just read the text and when I'm done I press the button to skip to next text box and I read way faster than the voices go anyway, the only time I don't obviously is during cutscenes and stuff where you can't, so eh.