Ladysmith Black Mambazo School of Music

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm still going down this path... you're losing it right now... i.e. morendo keep up Fleischberg... get more vivace in your humiliation.
Are we already to the part where you jerk yourself off and declare you owned someone? Because trying to have a reasonable discussion with you is boring the shit out of me. Spamming out musical expressions like buzzwords might impress your YouTube manhands bass channel's dozen followers, but it is not going to fly with people who actually have played in an orchestra or acted as a session musician.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Eh, what genre are we talking about? And how far back do you want to go? Because Kendrick absolutely blew the doors off of a dying rap/hip-hop scene when he released good kid, m.A.A.d city. Granted, that was 2012, but Dre had turned into more of a mogul/producer, Snoop was hanging with Willy Nelson and Martha Stewart, and Ice Cube was doing "family man" movies. The genre was in rough shape for around a good decade or so. The reason you're seeing so much of that "thug shit" now is because he massively helped revive the genre. So, of course you're going to see a bunch of shitty rappers trying to get in on the "gold rush".

Like I said, country and rock are about the only genres still mostly dominated by "old-school" bands/artists. And while there have been a few breakouts like Greta Van Fleet, they mostly broke through on "old" sound. But, rock went through a similar decade in the 80s where the sound wasn't really changing and it was mostly dominated by bands that had already "made it".

@Amod Can we break this discussion off into another thread? I'd like to continue it, but this derail has gone on long enough.
I maintain that rap/hip hop are shit because any one (black white straight gay whatever) with a fucking electronic music creation software setup and a chip on their shoulder can craft that shit. I again refer to Rockin the Suburbs as a biting commentary on this. The idea that blacks created all this amazing music is just plain bullshit and another version of the noble savage myth. And frankly you are too young to remember how big a shit on the scene Disco took (that WAS the boomer music of its day) to really understand how much someone like myself despises ghetto music. I get that.

But yeah, this derail probably belongs in the music forum.

Lets get back to the regularly scheduled Gorilla Channel program.....

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Jesus Christ. All this talk about "music these days" reads like a giant thread of message written by my fucking grandparents. Get over yourselves, boomers - holy fuck. There is plenty of good music out there.

I'd argue the only genres really suffering right now are probably rock music and country. Both are trying way too hard to incorporate "pop" elements and they are worse off for it. There have been a few standout albums, but they're becoming more and more rare.

People bitching about hip-hop being total shit are a bunch of fucking white-breads who never liked the genre in the first place. People like Joyner Lucas and Kendrick Lamar are talented as shit - their bars are ridiculous. Kendrick's "good kid, m.A.A.d city" is probably the best rap album in the last 15-20 years. Lil Wayne's last album was great and the production value for his "Mona Lisa" song is some of the best shit I've heard since probably Dre's 2001 album.
Rap is for fags.

What instrument does the musician Kendrick Lamar play?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I maintain that rap/hip hop are shit because any one (black white straight gay whatever) with a fucking electronic music creation software setup and a chip on their shoulder can craft that shit. I again refer to Rockin the Suburbs as a biting commentary on this. The idea that blacks created all this amazing music is just plain bullshit and another version of the noble savage myth. And frankly you are too young to remember how big a shit on the scene Disco took (that WAS the boomer music of its day) to really understand how much someone like myself despises ghetto music. I get that.

But yeah, this derail probably belongs in the music forum.

Lets get back to the regularly scheduled Gorilla Channel program.....
BeeGees did disco great.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Link your SoundCloud bro. I wanna see how easy it is to be a rapper.

Apparently easy enough that "soundcloud rapper" is a term.

Is there a "soundcloud rock band" term?

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Link your SoundCloud bro. I wanna see how easy it is to be a rapper.

Yea todays rappers are basically 17th-19th century level poets. Lets examine Kendrick Lamar's famous work Hood Politics --

"
K-Dot, pick up the phone, Wakandan
Every time I call, it's going to voicemail
Don't tell me they got you on some weirdo rap shit, Wakandan
No socks and skinny jeans and shit, ha
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haha
Call me on Shaniqua's phone!

I been A-1 since day one, you Wakandans boo-boo
Your home boy, your block that you're from, boo-boo
Lil hoes you went to school with, boo-boo
Baby mama and your new bitch, boo-boo
We was in the hood, 14 with the deuce-deuce
14 years later, going hard like we used to, on the dead homies
On the dead homies
"

Powerful.

• 2Worf
  • 2Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Kendrick's "good kid, m.A.A.d city"

Gtfo dude, wtf

The day hip hop can do something as intricate as the odd time signatures employed in progressive, psychodelic, or even stoner rock (QotSA ftw), it will be one step closer to something not shit. Speaking as a musician, hip hop music is like playing chopsticks when everyone else is doing the Rite or Spring. Fucking Gustoff Holtz Planets is more musically intricate and inspired than anything in modern music. And lets go with some more recent shit right out of pop music that hip hop rips off (Stevie Wonder) and just admit that Sir Duke by itself is more complex and demanding than anything to come out by a black artist in the last 30 years. Most modern music (not just Blacks) has not branched past the four bar blues hardly at all.

And country was bad enough when it turned into a 20 year lag behind rock. Its worse now that they want to do poppy shit for sure. The only album I can stand from this year is Offpsrings new one Let the Bad Times Roll, and before that I would have to go with Villians by QOTSA. Speaking as someone with a solid knowledge of music theory (and actively composing and arranging for my club) modern music is mostly shit and made simply to either virtue signal or sell merch.

Heilung and Adam Calhoun?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Yea todays rappers are basically 17th-19th century level poets. Lets examine Kendrick Lamar's famous work Hood Politics --

"
K-Dot, pick up the phone, Wakandan
Every time I call, it's going to voicemail
Don't tell me they got you on some weirdo rap shit, Wakandan
No socks and skinny jeans and shit, ha
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haha
Call me on Shaniqua's phone!

"

Powerful.

Wait, are those the actual lyrics of The Musician Kendrick Lamar?

Kirun Kirun can you confirm?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Spell a Cb fully diminished 7th chord: Go.

Spell a neapolitan chord in Eb
Describe the sonata principle
What's the difference between a plagal and perfect cadence

these are all stupid questions that can be answered by google. Don't wade into music theory in this thread. Wrong place for it.

SeanDoe1z1

I just want to say I’m getting use to the new
iPhone 12 and was patiently waiting another meeting that could have been an email and autoplayed the first solid 30s trying to copy paste for foh in a room w/ a handful of confused boomers.

No regrats. Job pays well but already getting bored!