Last Epoch

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Who trades in this game anyway? The SSF bonuses are so strong and add a lot of much needed longevity to the endgame

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’m playing a warlock this time. Kinda winging it. Did a warpath pally last cycle.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I really want to the enjoy this game but the performance is so fucking bad I'm not sure I can do it.

This game somehow runs far, far worse than PoE, while not having even 1/10th the density of mobs/particles/bullshit on screen.

My current necromancer is actually just DOA because I'm not willing to play the game at ~30fps at lowest settings with a 3090

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I really want to the enjoy this game but the performance is so fucking bad I'm not sure I can do it.

This game somehow runs far, far worse than PoE, while not having even 1/10th the density of mobs/particles/bullshit on screen.

My current necromancer is actually just DOA because I'm not willing to play the game at ~30fps at lowest settings with a 3090

The game had pretty bad memory leak issues last cycle. Did you try rebooting?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You lost the PoE performance lottery...on a different game! I have a 7800X3D and 7800XT, haven't noticed any performance issues.

I gave up on 1.1 after 1 weekend. The core combat gameplay doesn't feel good. While you're engaging a pack, it's fine. The time between packs and your inability to do anything about it, is the real problem. Way too much slow walking. I'd specialize into more movement skills if I could, but most share cooldowns because of the traversal tag. You can get some movement speed, but not nearly enough.

I've played enough of the monolith system to know ~5 hours into a character is going to feel the same 50+ hours later. That kills motivation to grind.

Note that I'm not saying this game has to dial up the speed to 11 like PoE does. That is a solution, but there has to be other ways to keep monolith clearing engaging and let the player feel like they have a choice in how it feels.

Evade was a mistake. I like their intention, execution was way off. I shouldn't be pressing it as a pseudo movement skill just to get around a tiny bit faster. I feel like a Demon Hunter trying to get those double jumps.

Khane

Monoliths just aren't a compelling end game system. Players, in general, don't like procedurally generated end game farming content.

They like routes. They like unhindered movement (aka no fucking doors). They like efficiency via repetition. Random tilesets AND random events/completion criteria AND random rewards is not what ARPG players want at end game.

Dungeons are really, really not fun for the same procedurally generated nonsense.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That could be part of it. I'm not really much of a grinder. Despite the thousands of hours into ARPGs, I prefer them for the puzzle solving of builds. Once progression stops(usually when grinding sets in), I get bored pretty fast. So, perhaps I'm not as qualified to talk about monoliths themselves.

I do know that I hate using my dodging skill as my getting between packs skill. What if I need to dodge something in that next pack and it's on cooldown? Evade could have solved this but the implementation was just so poor. I'm pretty sure that was on purpose, unfortunately. I don't know who designs a skill intended for dodging boss mechanics and then doesn't give it iframes, feel sluggish, and far too short.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The system of monoliths isn't a problem at its core, but the objectives and quests for the blessings sure as fuck are.

Recycling the dogshit campaign objectives that mostly amount to 'run across all of creation 5 times back and forth' does not make the endgame super compelling.

There's also something just...off? about the way the game flows and moves. I can't quite tell what it is but it feels like you're always fighting against *something* while trying to move around, or use the evade, or even use travel skills. Maybe it's mob collision, or terrain or I don't know really, but it feels like shit constantly. The best comparison I can think of is when you're trying to play a melee build in PoE and it's early on and your attack speed sucks and it feels like you're fighting through tar to get anything done, except in Last Epoch there is no amount of attack or runspeed you can stack that fixes it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Theree is something definitely off about this game. To me, after playing it a few times its just meh. The combat has no weight to it? IDK just something is off and its not fun. Plus the loot, its just also meh as fuck. Id rather have like 75% less of it but have it mean something. POE strikes that balance perfect with their money orbs they drop for crafting. It just feels good, even if its shit tier orbs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Monoliths just aren't a compelling end game system. Players, in general, don't like procedurally generated end game farming content.

They like routes. They like unhindered movement (aka no fucking doors). They like efficiency via repetition. Random tilesets AND random events/completion criteria AND random rewards is not what ARPG players want at end game.

Dungeons are really, really not fun for the same procedurally generated nonsense.
Agree. I thought I’d like procedural stuff back in the day because I thought hey it’s new each time! But in Grim Dawn you have both options, the key dungeons or the rift system. I can do key dungeons over and over and never gets old somehow, rift system I’m bored after a couple runs.

Caeden

Combat feels better this time while still not feeling as impactful as Poe. Grim Dawn felt floaty to me as a different complaint. Don’t see that here at least.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think coming from a game as complex and painful as PoE can be to a game like this is the incorrect order of operations. This is definitely a great game for people who never started PoE but are looking for something more than D3/D4. But if you've suffered through enough PoE to have that ah-ha! moment you'll not get that same feeling from this game. It's too acquiescent to the gamer whereas PoE is all about getting that break, however small, that makes you feel you earned it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
To me D4 felt better than this game as far as game play. IDK, its lacking something, cant put a finger on it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

This game has way, way more potential than anything else besides poe atm. It has interesting item affixes, a good crafting system, build enabling uniques and a lot of skill/build options.

Their "trade" system blows and until they just flat out allow trading this game will never have real multi-player. And it's a big hindrance to its overall "feel".

Caeden

Overall, with someone who has limited time, this scratches enough itch vs PoE. It has a down period imo mid-monolith and the combat needs some adjustment. It is gorgeous imo.

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I played this at high settings on a 1080ti and had no issue for years. One day I load up the game and it was unplayable. Nothing I could to would fix the frame rate to keep from going from 10 to 20 fps and stuttering. Even a fresh reinstall didn't fix it.

Fast forward a few weeks later, someone on the forums suggested it had something to do with my mouse software. Do not remember the exact steps, but as soon as I followed that dudes advice...performance was back to normal.

Caeden

I’ve been on and off this fucker the past few weeks.

I feel like the harbinger quest line is a grind so obvious I don’t want to do it. Something about how exponential it feels is putting me off.

Caeden

I find this games new penultimate boss kinda bullshit. Feels like he has twice the shit going on vs. an Uber PoE boss. Or I'm just kinda so meh about the game I don't want to bother learning it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user