Lawn Care

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I adopted a greyhound last year. I put a fence up in the yard so he could run. Well lol...he's turning my yard into a mud track. I'm not much of a lawn person but I want to grow the grass back. If for nothing else to stop the mud he tracks in. Any tips?

iannis

Musty Nester
Hm. You have any fields nearby that you can let him run around in? It kinda sounds like as long as you have that dog you ain't gonna have any grass in your backyard if that's the only place he can burn out some runsies.

Grass seed is really cheap at least.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's weird because the greyhound shelter has an area they run their dogs and the grass is fine there. I think I messed up by letting him run when they ground was wet. It's so much easier letting him out to the bathroom and going back inside but maybe I need to just walk him once the weather warms.

When do you typically throw seed down? Spring?

iannis

Musty Nester
Once the threat of the worst cold snaps are over. Whenever that is. Around here that's basically feb/march. I'm pretty sure you could throw it down in the middle of winter. It just wouldn't come up until spring, and you run the risk of rain carrying away half your seed or it rotting in mudpuddles. That's what the hay is for you see spread over top of seeded spots. The cover helps to fix the soil against light winds and rains, but you don't want it too thick or all you've done is create a problem. Hay is good for that. I'm pretty sure a light covering of pine straw would do the exact same thing.

*I'm not a lawn guy either. There's probably an entire science devoted to this.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Buy a treadmill.

rrr_img_9803.jpg

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's weird because the greyhound shelter has an area they run their dogs and the grass is fine there. I think I messed up by letting him run when they ground was wet. It's so much easier letting him out to the bathroom and going back inside but maybe I need to just walk him once the weather warms.

When do you typically throw seed down? Spring?
Yeah... You need to walk your dog, that's part of being a responsible pet owner. Just throwing that shit on the chain out back to poop in the yard and then letting him back inside is not only going to destroy your lawn but it's irresponsible as an owner. Not to mention, I'm sure you could use the exercise as well.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't have been as blunt as Sutekh, but he's right. You basically fell into the trap of the majority of pet owners and got an animal only considering your needs, and not the needs of the animal. You have a very high energy dog that should definitely be walked twice a day at a minimum. And a proper walk too, none of this 35 foot lead shit that passes for walks these days. By worrying about the grass, you're addressing the symptoms, not the problem.

If you do it right, your dog is going to be too tired to do much tearing up of the back yard. Then the grass will come back and stay back, and your dog will be happier too.

Caliane

a dog running around shouldn't be tearing up grass. MAYBE in aline on a runner, killing it. but that would still just be brown. not dirt.

Is he outright digging it up? as in holes?

hrm, actually, you probably have something else killing your grass. and you are just noticing it, as the dog is pulling up the dead grass, which has no roots. See alot of birds in it constantly? ravens, etc? grubs.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah... You need to walk your dog, that's part of being a responsible pet owner. Just throwing that shit on the chain out back to poop in the yard and then letting him back inside is not only going to destroy your lawn but it's irresponsible as an owner. Not to mention, I'm sure you could use the exercise as well.
Lol WTF? I walk my dog everyday. I'm talking like 430am before work/right after work when he can hardly hold it and wants to get right ouside.. And walking him/never leaving him in the yard in the warm weather to allow the grass to regrow. Not because I wanted to avoid being a good pet owner.. Actually, he jogs with me too but he can't hang as long so I can't take him on the longer runs. Stop drawing stupid conclusions. He's a greyhound and sometimes he needs to full burn. They are sprinters and no amount of walking will fully prevent him from running. I knew that when I adopted him and I'm fine with it. It's just the way the breed is. Sometimes i'll take him for a 30-45 min walk and he will still do laps in the yard right after. Nice try at the dog owner lecture tho.. haha

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
a dog running around shouldn't be tearing up grass. MAYBE in aline on a runner, killing it. but that would still just be brown. not dirt.

Is he outright digging it up? as in holes?

hrm, actually, you probably have something else killing your grass. and you are just noticing it, as the dog is pulling up the dead grass, which has no roots. See alot of birds in it constantly? ravens, etc? grubs.
Actually, I didn't think of that. I used Roundup this spring to kill some roots that were growing into my steps outside. I wonder if that did it? I just know nothing about growing grass back and hear people waste a lot of money on it when they could be using a simple solution.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wouldn't count on reestablishing any if you've a dog trampling it the entire time.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Protip: Teach your dog to fetch, then teach them to fetch up and down stairs. Wears the shit out of them lol.

As for the grass, you could ask the shelter what grass they use or ask a lawn care store what is durable, but replacing the grass in your yard is expensive and if you can manage the energy of your dog you might have a cheaper solution.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ha thx man. Unfortunately my dog is scared of some steps. Pretty common with greyhounds But we play fetch in the hallway lol.

Thanks for cleaning up the title. I was thinking I could of worded it better.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
greyhounds are not "high-energy" dogs. they're quite content being couch potatoes but that doesn't mean you shouldn't walk them.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You should walk any dog. I think people were just missing the point that he's a sprinter and when giving the chance he will always do it. They dig in pretty hard when they run. sounds like a horse running heh. The minute i let him out he's off to the races ha. I just need to limit his activity in the yard until I figure out the grass thing. So come spring I'm just walk him more than usual to offset his yard time.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Here we have fenced in dog parks where you can take your dog and unleash them and just let them run. Maybe you could see if one of these exists in your area.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
astroturf.
I have a friend who actually did this. It cost him like $10k for his ~30x50' back yard, but he did the math out and between seed, fertilizer, water, lawnmower gas, etc. it breaks even in 5-7 years (water is crazy expensive where he is). In the mean time it's essentially zero maintenance, looks good, and he can just hose off dogshit.