Lawn Care

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No I didn't I didn't think it mattered. I'm really not even sure.. probably 80x30 but I'm betting higher as starts on the side and widens in the back

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
Proper type of grass depends on where in the country you live, the conditions of the area (high shade, no shade, etc.), and how often you're willing to maintain it.

I do this shit for a living, have for a while. Lemme know those conditions and I'll shoot you some pointers. Zeroscaping isn't a bad idea if you're really concerned about the short-term, but I've always steered people away from doing it just because healthy grass is much nicer, better for the enviroment, and has the added joy of keeping it alive and well.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
If you're set on seeding vs. sodding, then a mix of Perennial Ryegrass and Kentucky Bluegrass is really your best bet. Neither are very shade-tolerant, so if you have excessive shade coverage due to trees, you're sort of stuck with a yearly re-seeding. A good mix of the two, if you buy seeds, should be roughly 2:1, with the Bluegrass being the most abundant. Reason is, it grows faster but isn't quite as weather tolerant as the Perennial; however, the Perennial takes longer to germinate, and thus won't start sprouting till the seasons ripe for it (assuming you do this relatively soon, towards the end of Feb. would be ideal.) Neither need excessive water, though once you see sprouting, you'll need to step up to daily watering for a week or so to help it. Not a whole lot else you need to do, neither grass requires fertilizer (or really ever needs it to get going), and both are ideal for high-traffic areas. If you go the fertilizer route, invest in a good supply ammonium nitrate (avoid liquid sprays, go for solids and water them in) and apply it twice a month once sprouting starts for two-three months for some explosive growth.

Edit: I should note, that sodding is the best way to install any grass. It's the most efficient and the safest way to do so. Downside is it's more expensive typically. If you decide to sod, make sure you talk to the company you call about their mix of seeds, what chemicals they use to fertilize, and how old the grass is when you're buying it. Newer pieces of sod may look greener now, but typically don't take root as fast as a slightly older piece.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
Oh yeah. Also, if you do go the seed route: buy the seeds, buy top soil, cast the seeds, then cover them in top soil (less than 1in.). Helps boost their early growth, helps protect them from birds, and assuming you don't pile the soil on, won't deny them the air they need to germinate. Most grasses won't take root immersed in soil or liquids, they need exposure. Once they take root though, you can cover them if desired and still see them break surface. Don't fertilize until about three-five weeks in if you use top soil, or you run the risk of over-exposing them to chemicals and getting a shit ton of weeds mixed in your grass a result. Good grass is a challenge, but totally worth it. If I didn't live in an apartment, I'd have a killer floratam lawn like I did when I was younger and living with my Father. Always loved the look and smell of good grass.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great info man! That's what I was looking for. I'm going to seed it. You say traffic isn't going to hurt it much? My dog is like a 4 legged tiller lol.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
Try to let the seeds germinate for about two weeks before you let the dog back there. Gives the them time to get some roots down, and allows the soil to compact a bit around them. You can let him out sooner, but it might negatively impact the growth pattern (read: coverage) of the seeds.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
What's the good and bad way to replace sod? One dude told me to just place it on top of the existing grass, which seems weird to me. Shouldn't you shovel off the old?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah that shit wont work too well. You want that sod to get rooted as soon as possible, because if it does not get a good foothold it will stil look like shit and start to have weed infestation. Its a lot of fucking work to re-sod. I did it at my old house and I swear ill never do it again. You rent a sod cutter cut the old sod at the roots, hopefully roll it up and get it the fuck out.

what works well is to keep reseeding it for a few years. what you do is rent one of them thatch rakes, thatch the shit out of your lawn in very early spring then rake up all that thatch and get rid of it. Then just spread new seed and rake it in by hand. then keep the shit watered. You can even buy a lawnmower blade that has the rake thingies on it and do it with your lawnmower. Do the same in the fall. Repeat this for like 2 yrs and you will have a new looking lawn without all the bullshit work of carting sod around for about $40.But then of course you can just hire some messicans to do it for you.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah. Also, if you do go the seed route: buy the seeds, buy top soil, cast the seeds, then cover them in top soil (less than 1in.). Helps boost their early growth, helps protect them from birds, and assuming you don't pile the soil on, won't deny them the air they need to germinate. Most grasses won't take root immersed in soil or liquids, they need exposure. Once they take root though, you can cover them if desired and still see them break surface. Don't fertilize until about three-five weeks in if you use top soil, or you run the risk of over-exposing them to chemicals and getting a shit ton of weeds mixed in your grass a result. Good grass is a challenge, but totally worth it. If I didn't live in an apartment, I'd have a killer floratam lawn like I did when I was younger and living with my Father. Always loved the look and smell of good grass.
You dont need to cover them at all with dirt. What I use is grass clipings. I spread the seed then cover with some grass clipings. It acts like hay, it keeps the seeds moist and covered.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So me being in the NE I should be doing this when? Still have a few cold months. Weather is always iffy in march here.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone dealt with a "bumpy" or "lumpy" yard before? It's fairly noticeable. One suggestion was that we put down loam, but I'm not sure.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You get used to it? Not sure how bad yours is but I hated ours after we bought our house. After a year I hardly even notice it or feel it when I'm walking through the yard. Ours just felt uneven so maybe I don't really know what you mean when you say lumpy and bumpy.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Imagine a lot of hills and valleys, but instead of in some massive landscape it was just on my lawn, all over it. If you go through with a lawn mower it's bouncing all over the place.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
anyone know a good weed killer that wont kill new grass in the process?
Won't kill grass in general, or specifically NEW grass(seed/sod)? I'd really hesitate to put any weed killer, or weed & feed type products on new grass growth. Its so tempremental that you run the risk of killing it off before it really gets established and hearty.

If it's existing grass that's already been there for several years, I've used the Ortho Weed-B-Gone stuff and it works pretty well, and doesn't kill grass.

Generally speaking, I've always been told at various nurseries and from various lawn people that you either focus on killing weeds, or growing grass, but not both at the same time. Doing both is a bad, bad idea.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's new seed. I guess I'll lay off that area until next season then try it. Just seeing a lot of weeds pop up with the grass