LitRPG

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I know very little about the genre but Ender's Game is a fine piece of science fiction with some related themes found in rpglit
It's quite different. LitRPG is a subset of Progression Fantasy, where the focus is about the pursuit and growth of personal power (or proxy personal power) within a setting. LitRPG achieves this progression through RPG rulesets, whether they work in a game ("old style LitRPG" or "VRMMO", typically), in some form of alternate reality ("isekai" or "native"), or changed Earth ("System Apocalypse™").

Ender does not gain personal power in this way. His progression is more about character, and military prowess as a commander, despite the gamification of the war he's fighting.

velk

Trakanon Raider
It's quite different. LitRPG is a subset of Progression Fantasy, where the focus is about the pursuit and growth of personal power (or proxy personal power) within a setting. LitRPG achieves this progression through RPG rulesets, whether they work in a game ("old style LitRPG" or "VRMMO", typically), in some form of alternate reality ("isekai" or "native"), or changed Earth ("System Apocalypse™").

Ender does not gain personal power in this way. His progression is more about character, and military prowess as a commander, despite the gamification of the war he's fighting.

It's an interesting line of thinking though - I wouldn't have thought of Ender's game as a litrpg, if for no other reason than it pre-dates the genre by 30 years or more, but with how sprawling litrpg has become you could make an argument for it. The amount of number-go-up isn't really all that different from something like Iron Prince.

I probably still wouldn't include it though, the progression fantasy part of it is not really the point, it's more a savage deconstruction of that genre if anything.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It's an interesting line of thinking though - I wouldn't have thought of Ender's game as a litrpg, if for no other reason than it pre-dates the genre by 30 years or more, but with how sprawling litrpg has become you could make an argument for it.
There are a few proto-LitRPG around that came out in the 20th century. People often call Larry Niven's Dream Park (1981) as the first LitRPG, as it revolves entirely around people playing a LARP in the eponymous park, in a future where augmented reality LARP is a big thing.

You often see Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame (1983) mentioned as the first LitRPG Isekai, as a group of people get transported as their character into the setting for their tabletop campaign.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It has been forever since I read it, and perhaps it doesn't completely fit some of the strict litrpg rules (whatever those are), but Split Infinity by Piers Anthony came out in 1980, and I've always considered that the first example that I can think of.

As a side note, looking on Goodreads to find the publishing date led me to an amusing/infuriating few minutes reading all the salty women, feminists, cucks, etc. complaining about how sexist the book is. It was written in fucking 1980 when that was the norm, you fucking cunts, deal with it. Also, prove to me how any of what he said is wrong, or how we are better off as a society by "moving past" that mentality.

Anyway, back on track, sorry about that. Like I said, not really sure it is true litrpg, but the game aspect of it and advancing in the game are the core parts of the story, so maybe close enough?

velk

Trakanon Raider
Piers Anthony is legitimately creepy as fuck though - just look at the lengthy instructions on how to fuck underage girls he included in Bio of a Space Tyrant for example. That tends to get a lot of hatred even to his relatively tame books like the Xanth series.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Piers Anthony is legitimately creepy as fuck though - just look at the lengthy instructions on how to fuck underage girls he included in Bio of a Space Tyrant for example. That tends to get a lot of hatred even to his relatively tame books like the Xanth series.
True. There were a few weirdos at the time, almost all published by Del Rey (I'm looking at you, Jack Chalker)...

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I read the first book when it came out, and never touched the series again. There is only so much raping a guy can read about. That's literally all I remember about it too, that they would get raped, then recover and travel some more, only to get raped again, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ender's Game starts fun. It's been a while but
I tapped out after like 3 books that revolved on him having conversations with trees by knocking on their bark.

I wouldn't call it litrpg or even progression rpg. I'd say the first book is a military young adult science fiction book and the rest are the "weird metaphysical science fiction" genre.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Caught up with Primal Hunter. Started listening to Azarinth Healer, which I'm enjoying quite a bit. The genre is dominated by males with male voice actors and it's refreshing to have a voice actress instead, who happens to be extremely good besides.

I really wish more audio books would embrace multi-cast voice acting. The increased cost from having the narration of the opposing gender (which probably represents 5-10% of the total narration in most cases) can't be that high, can it?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I read the first book of Azarinth Healer and put the second on my Kindle from KU, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it or why I haven't read the second one, aside from there always being some other series that pops up with a new book. I remember liking it well enough.

Speaking of new stuff popping up, this kept coming up on my Kindle sleep screen so I finally read it.

Not bad, but could be a lot better. The characters are decent, if reminiscent of Carl and Donut, but since the author thanks the Dungeon Crawler Carl guy for letting him pick his brain, it makes sense that it would have similarities. Instead of a cat, Brad has a terrified chihuahua that can talk. The interactions can be endearing at times, and amusing like when the dog pisses itself because that's what rat dogs do. And there are heavy metal references periodically, particularly Judas Priest, which is a huge plus for me.

The problem lies in the world. Maybe there is some huge backstory to it like in DCC, but we don't get to see more than a glimpse. it is literally the most generic "you got plopped into a game world but we aren't going to tell you much about it at all" you can think of, complete with snarky system messages (although far fewer than most books of this genre). He has a virtual AI guide that I actually really like (and you are obviously supposed to really like her), but she can't say much/doesn't know much beyond what her programming allows her. There is clearly shit going on behind the scenes, but after an entire book there is almost nothing. And while I despise stat-screen heavy books, this one has too few because none of them really matter. He gains +2 to wisdom? Who gives a shit, because I didn't know what it was before, or what it did, what more will do, etc. I mean, it isn't a lot different than Defiance or Primal Hunter or the like where their stats are like 10,000 in each, because again, what does that even fucking mean? But at least we occasionally see them and have an idea what they improve in those other books. In this you didn't even know he had a Wisdom score until he gained more, and not once did a stat seem to make a bit of difference in anything he did.

Still, it is interesting enough so far to read a few more. There are some slight woke leanings though, and I'm worried if they get out of hand. Of course the first real girl he meets is brown, gorgeous, and kicks ass. And he reflects upon how he used to have to "re-educate" guys in the military who thought that a woman couldn't beat their ass just like a man. So far it is mostly just him recalling stuff and pontificating mentally on shit, and I can handle it. So far. We're at about a 20% saturation level, so if it ever gets to 100% I'll be out no matter how good the rest of it is.

I give it 3/5 for potential, and initially interesting characters.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I read the first book of Azarinth Healer and put the second on my Kindle from KU, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it or why I haven't read the second one, aside from there always being some other series that pops up with a new book. I remember liking it well enough.
Azarinth healer was one that very quickly became numbers getting bigger is the main story. Think I read the first two or 3 books? The characters were mostly pretty bad and the story pretty bland

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Azarinth healer was one that very quickly became numbers getting bigger is the main story. Think I read the first two or 3 books? The characters were mostly pretty bad and the story pretty bland
Yeah I'm halfway through book 1 and am waiting for an expansion of the universe or characters that makes the series compelling. One way I consider fiction stories is looking at the core ideas that the author needed to get out of their mind on paper, and I find myself really enjoying series when those concepts are unique. Sometimes I'll read a book and think, "Why was this book made?" One case is a series, Blood on the Stars, which almost seemed like an AI-generated backdrop that an author could then take an insert their hero and major plot elements into. Azarinth Healer seems like another one of those. The hero being female and her particular class of melee-healer are the only differentiators, and they just aren't that compelling on their own. The writing is decent at a micro-level and the voice actress is very good.

Defiance of the Fall #12 is coming out tomorrow, going to be hard to get through the rest of Azarinth Healer...

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Defiance of the Fall #12 is coming out tomorrow, going to be hard to get through the rest of Azarinth Healer...
Man, I'm getting close to saying fuck this series (Defiance of the Fall). I'm halfway through the book, and I'm having to force myself. It is bad enough when he fucking sits and "consolidates" or advances his Void Vajra Bullshit or refines his core or who the fuck cares. But now the battles are starting to become tedious in the extreme as well. I feel like the author is sniffing his own farts over how many "cool anime-like" powers he can come up with. Except they aren't cool, they are just fucking boring. He can't just hack shit apart with an axe anymore, he has to utilize 38 different fucking skills and domains and dominate them with his aura and extreme stats and extend his dao branch or whatever, and I just don't fucking care.

Also, every single thing relating to the Dao and Buddhism and Sangra and whatever the fuck can go fuck itself.

I love Ogras. I love Catheya. I love the others that aren't even in this fucking book. I am coming to despise the main fucking character. Fuck!

Also, I was waaaaaay ahead of the curve on all this Void shit in books (Cradle, DotF, Unbound, Path of Ascension, etc.)!!! I am just not skilled enough as an author to have written it first. Fuckers.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Finished DotF 12. I literally cannot imagine listening to this bullshit on audiobook.

I'm going to copy someone else's review that pretty much sums up my thoughts, along with a spoiler tag that accurately tells you the entire plot of the book in 13 words.
You know some authors visibly improve with every book they write? not this guy, he finds new ways to milk his already bloated series. Everything you've come to hate in this series got turned up a notch..

- Endless dao nonsense? Check
- Side characters that become irrelevant after this book? Check
- More bloated than ever before? Check

He fucked the undead chick and formed his core on the last page
... there saved you 700 pages. Nothing else happens.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Finished DotF 12. I literally cannot imagine listening to this bullshit on audiobook.

I'm going to copy someone else's review that pretty much sums up my thoughts, along with a spoiler tag that accurately tells you the entire plot of the book in 13 words.
I stopped DotF after the fridging of the - finally - girlfriend. You spend an enormous amount of time teasing us with the obvious "she's going to be the one", and you do a small timeskip where it finally happens, only for evil mom to show up and kill her in the next chapter because she's supposedly hampering the growth of her little Zack.

Well, goodbye then.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
You guys made it further than me. Had to go look at the synopses of the various books, but looks like I dropped it mid book 8. Shit just got repetitive and boring.

On a different note, I’ve read a few different litrpg recently

System Orphans: Claire - midway through the second book, and so far it’s pretty good. Standard system comes to earth story, and most of the world is wiped out except for safe zones. Claire is one of the kids too young to be integrated when it happens, and from that time until she is old enough some shit happens to her (mostly not in the book, it gives recaps/flashbacks to fill reader in) that results in her having a quest from the system to kill 100 people related to what happened to her. The books are about her working her way through the list and also doing dungeons and interactions with some people in the city, all around good read so far.

In Clawed Grasp - longer book and only first book is out, but it follows another standard trope of being reincarnated as a child in another world. The mechanics of the world are decent, the first half or so of the book is the MC growing up and learning about classes with his friend. Decent story so far, and the litrpg elements aren’t overdone like they are in some series. Will definitely read the second book when it comes out.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I stopped DotF after the fridging of the - finally - girlfriend. You spend an enormous amount of time teasing us with the obvious "she's going to be the one", and you do a small timeskip where it finally happens, only for evil mom to show up and kill her in the next chapter because she's supposedly hampering the growth of her little Zack.

Well, goodbye then.
You might have heard this already, or still don't care, but spoiler alert, she's not actually dead. Likely because of the backlash from fans over exactly what pissed you off. However, the explanation for why she isn't actually dead is retarded (like his mom would have any compassion), and most importantly, Thea has had like maybe 4 chapters dedicated to her since her death. That's not even one chapter per book. There is a buildup for them eventually meeting up, maybe in Book 13, but at this point no one gives a shit.

I feel like the author is trying to tease a big catfight with all the various women finally meeting up. Catheya, Thea, Iz, Alea even, maybe more. Except, again, no one fucking cares, and it is likely that Zac will just ignore them all and go off to cultivate for the next decade, which the author will lovingly describe in excruciating detail for 3 books whilst masturbating himself furiously to the smell of his own farts.

The next book looks like a big adventure, but that's what I thought this book was going to be, so if it ends up being another snoozefest I doubt I'll even finish it.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just finished DotF12. I hope the author moves on from the ridiculous cultivation word salads, but i also don't know how you can really keep a litrpg / cultivation book going on for so long without it getting repetitive, bland or losing the progression. This book was more extreme in this then others because the entire book was about Zacs core forming adventure so we don't get a break for more characters, world building and the space opera i love about the series.

The combat chapters remind me of live EverQuest where devs add another layer of mechanics every expansion and the abilities read like a berserker's burn rotation. Zac has so much random bullshit thrust in him, he's got a whole zoo of different consciousnesses in him, and the author is introducing new growth options on the reg. What's next, liver cultivation where Zac cycles the thirteen spectrums of alcohol to broaden the deep cosmic exhilaration technique of unfathomable fishing in muddy waters?

Anyway i still love this series and the next one is due in June? Day one buy for me.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Now i have to decide what to read next.

Options on the table:

• Finishing book 1 of azerinth healer
  • Read the last few books of the ritualist
  • Path of ascension
  • The Land
  • Reborn apocalypse
  • System Change

Any other recommendations along the same lines are welcome.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Mmm, tough one - the land has a weird progression where it starts bad, gets good, gets really good, then crashes and burns and has had nothing produced since. Maybe if you read all but the most recent book ? Depends on how you feel on unfinished stories.

Other than that, PoA is the best of the ones I have read ( I haven't read System Change ). It doesn't have any parts that I would call really great, but it's been consistently good. ( The robot apocalypse arc was not great but has apparently been re-written to some extent for the book version ).

• 1Like