Lords of the Fallen

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Some guy that does a lot of dark souls stuff did a video about LOTF. He said that it's basically the same game with tweaked mechanics. Characters are slower, armor is made for you to actually be able to trade hits, etc., but in the end it still sounded good.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Reviews

- Summary from a Polish review, 9.1/10
World

- 7.8/10
Lords of the Fallen Review!! Hack-and-Slash Dark Souls! | moviepilot.com

- 7/10
Lords of the Fallen (Review) - ReadersGambit

- German review 8.1/10
Review: Lords of the Fallen - das Action-Rollenspiel aus Deutschland im Test | PS4 | XboxOne | WiiU | PS3 | Xbox360 | News | Reviews | Previews

Basic agreement seems to be that it is Dark Souls lite (easier, less punishing, smaller, tighter/heavy handed (as described in video above too))

Size is the only thing that seems somewhat disappointing. I love the grand scope of the Dark Souls games. Little nooks and crannies that turn out to be huge areas. Seems this game has more dungeon/corridor focus.

From the reviews, it seems you might get the most out of the game if you rush the first playthrough, skipping side missions and rather focus on the exploration after starting NG+.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Diggin the game. Wasn't expecting it to beat Dark Souls in any way, only have similar traits. I think if you go into the game w/ those expectations you will be reasonably happy. BUT I gotta stress, thanksgiving and christmas sales right around the corner. I can already tell it wont have five playthroughs of NG+ like I did w/ DS/DS2. It's still fun, just not mind blowingly amazing, and will tide me over until COD and DA:I drop.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Bought the game as I want to support any studio willing to start the "lets make more Dark Souls type games!" bandwagon. Will take generic DS clone over generic FPS clone any day of the week.

Game isn't bad. Only 2ish hours in, but fun. Certainly a lot easier than Dark Souls though. Still not died. Melee hugging enemies will make them miss 70% of the time, including bosses. Fought two bosses so far, killed both on first try. You are much more tanky though, like starting off with full Havel.

Seems optimized too, looks and runs great. Maxed all settings. Went warrior spec, but thinking of going agi route for staffs. Their moveset is fun(somewhat similar to DS Twinblade), and effective with multiple mobs or in tight corners. Have to say the animation quality is good. Can agree with the statements that say that there is "weight" behind them. Light vs heavy attacksfeelsright. Similar to DS, nearly every weapon has different movesets.

Also, you can hit downed enemies. So no more backstab, wait until they get up. Enemies do not seem to have invincibility frames. Backstab, jump back, jump attack has killed every non boss enemy so far.

As stated, not that far into it, but already seen a few hidden places that I never saw any streamers go to. Exploration is rewarded, but I am tempted to rush it and leave the exploration and side quests for NG+. All in all, game seems worth it unless it all turns horribly wrong later on.

EDIT: 550mb patch up if you restart steam.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
How is it so far? Thinking about picking this up for my DS fix.
Can give a small update.

Entered a door to a different area, got wtf pwned by normal mobs that were harder than the boss further ahead. So there seems to be some backtracking in mind, or just areas more suitable for NG+, I am not sure.

There seem to be quite a few "do this, or this" option / quests. Done a few things now that I am not sure what the outcome will be. I am not even sure if I did the right/good things. If you explore you can interact with/find, quest objects before you encounter the actual quest giver.

Harder mobs don't necessarily look harder. Maybe a bigger shield or sword, but you don't really notice you are fighting a more powerful mob until you hit it and you do hardly any damage and they take off 60%+ of your hp in a swing.

Nearly all mobs (at least 2+ hours in) have follow up swings that nearly seem to lock on to you. Think of the large statue men in Heides Tower in DS2. Where they would swing around in nearly 360 archs, making it a better tactic to move in for a hit then move out, rather than hug/roll. My previous statement of hugging mobs being effective can now be seen as false. Shield stuns drain your stamina, and then you die fast.

Not as easy to anticipate boss fights as in Dark Souls games. No fog gates. Third boss I found caught me by surprise while exploring and proceeded to wreck me. Lost all exp as I died on the way back too.

Difficulty and the need to avoid, roll and use tactics escalated quite quickly. Which is great. I am much more excited to keep playing it now that I died 10 times in 20 minutes.

Also, in regards to the length of the game. Devs responded on the main forums that the story is 15 hours, while it took testers around 50 to complete the exploration/side quests. That is not counting NG+ and the added things from that. You unlock a new magic/skill set on each NG, maxing out at NG++. So two new skillsets are available. Not sure what they are.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sounds great - might try to pick it up tomorrow after I platinum Evil Within and cash it in towards the $40 credit. (Just need the 5 hr playthrough trophy which I'm working on ATM - proving a joke so far with the Brass Knuckles from beating Akumu - on Casual NG+ all non-minibosses die in one punch, minibosses in two punches - it's pretty gross)

Moebiwan

shitlord
After spending a couple of hours with this last night I have to say I enjoy it. Controls well (I tried both a controller and KBM) and, for any Dark Souls vets, you'll feel right at home. Your movements have a real weight to them, same with attacks. That part of the game is well done imo, as are the weapons, and I've found several different types (monk staff being my favorite so far...almost feel like Eddie Gordo just mashing attack with this thing).
My only issue with the game so far is the massive framerate hit I take when going outdoors. Indoors areas are fine, look great, no issues. As soon as I hit outdoors...nearly unplayable. Editing the settings does little to nothing to change this either. It's a bit frustrating.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
My only issue with the game so far is the massive framerate hit I take when going outdoors. Indoors areas are fine, look great, no issues. As soon as I hit outdoors...nearly unplayable. Editing the settings does little to nothing to change this either. It's a bit frustrating.
Apparently this is affecting lots of people. See it on steam, especially tied to Win 7 64bit.

I have Win 8.1, 880GTX 16gb ram, and it runs flawlessly on max in all areas. No difference at all between inside or outside. Seeing how many are affected by the problem you mention though, it will probably be patched soon. Usually when threads start with "I have a problem with low fps!" the answers tend to be "get a better system" or "what are your system specs?", now the threads on steam are filled with "I have the same problem".

Odd thing about the game. I can only see one version for sale (digital deluxe version), which includes all current DLC bonuses, so wondering why the DLCs can also be purchased as stand alones.

Moebiwan

shitlord
Right on. I am running Win 7 64bit so hopefully that's the commonality. My rig is stout enough although my video card could use an update (i5-4690, 8gb DDR3, MSI r7850 TwinFrozr 2gb).
I noticed the DLC thing as well. I tried to pre-purchase yesterday but Steam kept returning an error with my cart and I eventually ended up being able to purchase a couple minutes after official release. When I got home and fired it up, I magically had all the DLC. I thought it might have been just a happy accident.

Needless

Toe Sucker
seems fun so far, i'm only like 2 bosses in but i might restart as a rogue... i assume dual wielding without a shield might be a little more challenging than sword/board warrior

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
seems fun so far, i'm only like 2 bosses in but i might restart as a rogue... i assume dual wielding without a shield might be a little more challenging than sword/board warrior
Mobs later require you to hit and run, hug rolling stops working because their multi swings are homing 360 degree attacks.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Mobs later require you to hit and run, hug rolling stops working because their multi swings are homing 360 degree attacks.
ahh good to know, i'm kind of curious about the monk staves.. seems like they seem to be pretty good? have you tried them at all?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
ahh good to know, i'm kind of curious about the monk staves.. seems like they seem to be pretty good? have you tried them at all?
They are good, think Dark Souls twinblade. They do have various stat requirements though. Both Agi and Faith.

Not unlocked crafting yet (spent around 5 hours in the game so far), so at a point I just had to switch to an axe that did 30 more base damage than my staff. No idea if we can upgrade weapons Dark Souls style later on, or if we just can craft new weapons.

Not tried any rouge weapons yet, found some fists with a very high agi requirement, so seems to be a fair share of different weapons. Shields are the same, vary from small to heavy. You can still block with shields you don't have stat requirements for, but you can't use their trigger skill (stun, parry, etc).

So far, I have killed 3 bosses, and spent around an hour in the catacombs which seems to be an optional area. Mobs there are much harder. Apparently a lord there too, but can't reach it yet. Too many of those massive shield mobs that hit like trucks.

Really enjoy the game so far.

EDIT:
For the guys that played the Dark Souls series, is the game worth getting?
Yes. It is similar, but easier. Sort of like staring at SL 50. Less grand in scope, more scripted and story is told "normally" and not open ended like Dark Souls where there is a grand story hidden beneath layers of lore.

I don't regret buying it.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Yes their are upgrades. Nice upgrades.
Great. Good to know.

Just spent 30 minutes slowly chipping away at a boss, got him to last health bar.... NVIDIA screen drivers stopped working, game crashed. It froze just as I got him down to the last bar, so thought he was going to do some final form, not crash the game
frown.png

Moebiwan

shitlord
Speaking of bosses...how are they? I beat First Warden without too much fuss, although getting used to WHEN to attack (vs. what DS taught me) took a couple minutes. I thought the fight was cool enough to be hopeful that subsequent bosses will be interesting.

vulken3_sl

shitlord
I am playing on ps4 so no idea about that bug yet.., the game's boss's i have fought so far are 2 knight's a mage and giant crystal like spider.

You will be able to take blows in heavy armor for a while but eventualy you will run into enamys that can knock you out of of guard and also stun you .
Also when you fight this mage fucker just remember to hide under these archway's when he kneel's and start's making a big cast lol insta kill.