Malaysian Airlines 777 Shot Down (?)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It was probably separatists

Twitter / MiddleEast_BRK: The BUK system that downed ...
The BUK system that downed MH17 was provided to Russians inside Ukraine by the Russian army in the last 48 hrs.

I heard they've been shooting down Ukrainian transports all over. They probably assumed it was another transport and hit a civilian aircraft. If this is true I could see this as being casus belli for military action from outside Ukraine against the separatists.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Here's a separatist boss Igor 'Strelkov' Girkin probably (I can't read Russian) claiming to have shot down a russian transport:
trans_sl said:
I will translate: "We just shot down An-26 (note:ukrainian transport plane used by military) near the city of Torez, the debris is lying somewhere close to the coal-mine "Progress. " We have warned before not to fly in "our sky." And here is the video confirmation. The plane fell behind a spoil tip, the residential sector is not caught. Civilians are not injured.
1405610146-ef41d7464b30da37118c8bf6c86d11e6.png

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
Terrorist having facebook profile, what a time to be alive !

God damn it Putin get your shit together...

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Russia sure has been great through out this whole endeavor.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If anyone doubted why we were continuing to sanction Russia, they aren't now.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
trans_sl said:
Civilians are not injured.
I know this is a rough translation, but yeah, OK psycho nutjob. Civilians not injured? It was a fucking flight from Amsterdam to Malaysia. Nope, no innocent civilians from completely different countries there!!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I know this is a rough translation, but yeah, OK psycho nutjob. Civilians not injured? It was a fucking flight from Amsterdam to Malaysia. Nope, no innocent civilians from completely different countries there!!
To be fair to that commander, he was assuming it was a military transport and no civs were injured by the debris hitting the ground.

Assuming that he actually was responsible I imagine he's the most wanted man in the world atm. I could see NATO launching military strikes at separatist positions and Russia trying to find him.

Still, it's too early to say what happened. Most of what we know is from Kiev and terrorist social media.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
The shootdown would have been 17:15 relative to the post from the terrorist, or 35 minutes earlier. 14:15 (GMT!) is when contact was lost.

That's pretty damning.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
When I heard if this story my first thought was "CNN just jizzed their pants"

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Crazy - and absolutely shitty that Malaysian Airlines has had 2 deals like this back to back. Might be a decent time to buy some Malaysian air stock.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
My brother says they just trucked the wreckage in and lit it on fire, the old switcharoo!

He is joking. I think. I hope.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Hamas V Israel, Ukraine, planes being shot down. Strap up boys, the end is nigh! Where the fuck is Lumie?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Other airlines starting to divert around Ukraine. Wise move.
Yeah, I wouldn't be flying near that crap again. Crazy. Will be very interesting to see if it was shot down, and if it was , what will be the reaction from the rest of the world. Especially russia as you can almost guarantee they supplied the equipment able to shoot down a civilian airliner cruising at altitude.