Malazan Book Of The Fallen

Rime

<Donor>
It was just disappointing that the Chain had little to no help at all, relying on themselves, up until the near end, when they had help suddenly pop out. It did not ruin the book, it was just a part that made me shrug and go 'eh, whatever'.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
So just to be clear here, the Chain of Dogs relates to Coltaine's 7th and is the most bad ass thing I've ever read in my entire life and the very reason Deadhouse gates is my favorite book ever. What you're referencing, with the D'Ivers/Soletaken, the trade guild, Filder, etc. is called the Path of Hands.

Edit: aw shit. I completely forgot that the guild shows up with Coltaine and whatnot too don't they? Yeah makes sense. My bad.

Anyway the Chain of Dogs is my favorite part of the whole series.

Rime

<Donor>
The Chain of Dogs was one of the best things I have read in any sort of literature in many years. Even the way it ended felt satisfying and left me nodding my head. Like I said, the guild was just a part that made me shrug, because it felt slightly out of place to that particular story. While I understand why and where it came from, when reading it, it felt like a hug let down.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Stuff (plot points, information, characters, sudden help) coming out of nowhere is kind of Erikson's thing...is it a good thing or a bad thing? I've never decided one way or another. But it's his thing.

Nysus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone had any luck finding audiobooks for 9 and 10? I've scoured the internet with no luck so far.

MartyrDumb_sl

shitlord
Started this series from the recommendation here. Been reading them mostly during downtime at work since. About to finish up Reaper's Gale. I love these books so much! I don't want it to end!

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah...after spending more than a year reading at least a portion of the series every day, I definitely felt a little lost once things were done. I still have the Esslemont books to go back to which I will at some point.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
After going through the Malazan series back to back, then jumping in to Dresden Files back to back, the feeling of reading a single contained story in one book is very odd. Following the May book of the month thread with Shadow of the Wind, and maybe disconcerting isn't the right word, but knowing that everything will be wrapped up in 500 pages is forcing me to digest things faster than waiting for 13,000 pages til payoff.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The series started out really strong and finished poorly. I was generally uninterested in a lot going on in the later few books. He creates characters with a lot of potential, but few of them ever get to achieve that potential. So it's a constant case of blue balls. The Coltaine arc paid off, and that's pretty much it.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
dust of dreams, the crippled god... fuck the redmask storyline
Seriously, I love how long he takes to fully develop characters and make them interesting but when he keeps introducing whole new groups in the last two books I just knew that they were going to be means to an end and not the great characters like Toc, Whickey, Sorry, and the Parans. BTW, you may have hated Redmask but the worst reading for me was The Snake. Fuck those kids and I wish they would have all died.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the only guy I feel kind of let down with his ending arc is Karsa but is he involved in the Esselment books somehow? I thought I read that somewhere.

Toc/Tool resolution in the final book made me cry like a baby. I think the whole arc might have been worth it just for that.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Seriously, I love how long he takes to fully develop characters and make them interesting but when he keeps introducing whole new groups in the last two books I just knew that they were going to be means to an end and not the great characters like Toc, Whickey, Sorry, and the Parans. BTW, you may have hated Redmask but the worst reading for me was The Snake. Fuck those kids and I wish they would have all died.
Straight up skipped every solo snake chapter. The ones where they were with the Bonehunters I read but the other ones? Forget it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, that might be it. Either way, the ending to the series convoluted and kind of a letdown. Way too many people knew to be in the right spot at the right time.

The whole time, I was under the impression the jade statues were full of the spirits of the crippled god's believers from his home planet. The were travelling to this planet to be with him, or whatever the fuck. So let's contrive this elaborate plot to put the crippled god back together so we can kill him.

Oh, jk, it was just some pissed off thaumaturgs who got all sandy about Kallor coming back to their retarded jungle island.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I guess I don't get the "oh jk" part of your post. TCG was brought down because of Kallor, but the Jade Strangers or whatever were his believers that followed through the rift. I don't have 100% of the context here because I haven't read the Esselmont books and I know some of this is explained in there.