Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
who here would charge a family member rent?

tldr dad has been living with me since Sept 1st while getting medical treatment. told me this morning he has surgery scheduled now for middle of January. so I tell him if he has to stay here past January he needs to start paying me $300 in rent. he got butt hurt.

i was going to say sure, anybody but a parent could get charged rent.

When my grandmother moved in with my parents, they sort of charged her rent. In that case, it was just that she handed over most of her SS check and my parents covered all of her insurance and prescriptions. But in your case, no, not unless your dad was an ass when you were younger and charged you rent. I'd probably back down on the rent thing if I were you. You made your point by bringing it up.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
What if his dad is a smoker? I would charge even if they smoked outside, as it is nearly impossible to remove smoke smell.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
my mom charged me for the one month i stayed at her place while finding a new one after getting out the army earlier this year and i wasnt butthurt at all

bills go up with more people

bills costs money

theres really nothing left to consider here

P.S. 300$ for a room is standard

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Prob a little more than that, not really tracking ovulation just our normal sex habits which might be 4 times one week and 2 another, just depends what else we have going on.

after 5 years of pull out method i got my wife pregnant within 2 weeks of trying for our child, hope it works out for you guys soon im under the impression risks of birth defects skyrocket from age 32 onward

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't think my dad is anything like your guys dads. See my post in the house projects thread for starters. or if you can remember the other posts ive made about him.
Is he being annoying or anything or are you just being greedy?

If he's being annoying I'd probably address that and tell him to stop being fucking annoying. If you're just being greedy I'd try to remember the tens of thousands of hours and dollars he spent raising you and relax on that.
I did not live with him growing up. As far being greedy, he makes more than I do(30k/year) doing nothing collecting his ss, pension/disability. My house payment is just under half my take home pay.

More importantly is he could afford to rent somewhere, but he has the financial sense of an 18 and can't because he blows all of his money like a dumb 18 year old.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I don't think my dad is anything like your guys dads. See my post in the house projects thread for starters. or if you can remember the other posts ive made about him.

I did not live with him growing up. As far being greedy, he makes more than I do(30k/year) doing nothing collecting his ss, pension/disability. My house payment is just under half my take home pay.

More importantly is he could afford to rent somewhere, but he has the financial sense of an 18 and can't because he blows all of his money like a dumb 18 year old.
Holy shit I made more money doing warehouse stuff.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

Ah, well with that clarification then yeah, you're within the right to ask for money I'd say.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
At least some money, yea. Thanks for the clarification BP.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
who here would charge a family member rent?

tldr dad has been living with me since Sept 1st while getting medical treatment. told me this morning he has surgery scheduled now for middle of January. so I tell him if he has to stay here past January he needs to start paying me $300 in rent. he got butt hurt.
When I turned 18 and was still living at home and going to school, my mom started charging me $400 a month. Much more recently when we moved into a family members house with our kids as a temporary situation, we were charged $500 a month.

My opinion? Fuck that. If anything at all, charge them the small difference in water/electric your shit goes up a month and call it good. I'd charge nothing for family to live, but also the first to kick your ass out if your an annoying asshole.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
When I turned 18 and was still living at home and going to school, my mom started charging me $400 a month. Much more recently when we moved into a family members house with our kids as a temporary situation, we were charged $500 a month.

My opinion? Fuck that. If anything at all, charge them the small difference in water/electric your shit goes up a month and call it good. I'd charge nothing for family to live, but also the first to kick your ass out if your an annoying asshole.

Yea, but in BP's situation, I also have a dad that I didn't grow up with and basically was never part of my life growing up. If he fell off a boat I'd toss him a brick not a life preserver. I sympathize more with these facts as stated.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, but in BP's situation, I also have a dad that I didn't grow up with and basically was never part of my life growing up. If he fell off a boat I'd toss him a brick not a life preserver. I sympathize more with these facts as stated.
True. Charging family isn't a big deal these days I don't think. As said, bills go up with more people, just the way it is.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wouldn't charge my dad rent but I would charge your dad rent.

My dad always had a room for me even though I didn't live with him, paid more than the courts required for child support so we had stuff, and generally took care of us.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider

So what you are really saying is you aren't charging your Dad, because he really never was, you are charging some old geezer who is loosely related to you.
Yeah go ahead and do that. I would.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I confirm charge him. I've charged my brother and my cousin, both are below average in terms of humans and just expected to stay for like a pizza a month because I'd be paying it anyway, right?

If someone doesn't offer something then they're the type of person that are fine to charge imo.

30k house is tough anywhere, gotta have discipline.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user