Marriage and the Power of Divorce

The Master

Bronze Squire
Curious, are open relationships something that either just works or doesn't for someone? Like is it something someone would adjust to and become ok with over time? Probably need to get The Master in here as our resident open relationship expert. I just assume that if someone's initial gut reaction is negative, it would never work for them.
I actually have seen that exact situation work out. A guy was dating a friend of mine for about six months. He knew she was open the whole time and he wasn't comfortable with it at all. But he was dating multiple girls and he just thought of it like that. For him she wasn't in a committed relationship. That was how he thought of it, even though it wasn't true. So he got to see, to a degree, how it worked and how happy she was. Fast forward six months and he is dating two girls, another one and my friend, and he doesn't really want to call it "just dating" anymore. He is now in two open relationships and is quite happy about it. I have seen people who tried it and were very unhappy as well. I don't really advocate for open relationships, they have downsides. They are a lot of work, involve a lot of communication, require honesty and the ability to understand your own feelings. It isn't easy.

Khane if you, or she, need someone to talk to about that I'd be happy to listen. It can be a tough thing to adjust to.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
My thing is, I figure most open relationships are unequal. One has much more social/economic capital and doesn't see the need to be faithful, and the other puts up with it.

The Master

Bronze Squire
My thing is, I figure most open relationships are unequal. One has much more social/economic capital and doesn't see the need to be faithful, and the other puts up with it.
I'd question if most people feel like relationships are usually equal to begin with. I date girls that are "out of my league" all the time, to the point where people will come up at parties and literally ask them about it. Their response is usually that they feel like I'm out of their league. All about perception. But the situation you describe is one I find very common... in "monogamous" relationships. One person cheats and one person lives with the emotional consequences. The number of open relationships I have personally seen where this is the case is very tiny. Five out of a few hundred. This came up last time this particular derail happened and I'll say the same thing I said then: that isn't an open relationship so much as it is one person using another person. Open relationships ought to make both people happy.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Is The Master really in an open relationship that his wife accepts, or did he just hypnotize her?
Bringing back a classic.

Dun-dun-dun-o.gif

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
This is my view as well. Personally, I wouldn't want a chick who would be ok with me fucking other girls. That lowers her "value" to me and makes me respect her less. I don't judge anyone for doing it. Have at it, but I have doubts that the vast majority of open relationships are equal in any way.

I would(and have) much prefer to just be single and sleep around.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This all precipitated from feeling like I was fighting something the last few years of my life. Because I couldn't stay interested in any one woman for more than a month at a time something was wrong with me. Wondering why I couldn't accept that the last two serious relationships I was in had expectations attached to them out of the gate. I was expected to take care of them. Differences of opinion on finance and gender role ended those, one of them amicably after over a year of trudging onward as essentially roommates, the other very poorly with lasting effect. They wanted traditional roles in our relationship, I didn't.

Then I started to feel like I just didn't think I'd ever be able to get married because of my belief on the matter. I actually felt like I was supposed to, it was expected of me, but I just wouldn't be able to because every woman I dated I found something wrong with. That was a direct product of my thoughts on what marriage is supposed to be. When I think of marriage I think of it its most traditional sense. Til death do you part. That's fucking intense. So then I thought "well if this is forever she better be fucking perfect".

I can't accept that I have to sacrifice autonomy to prove I can love someone. We fight in every facet of our lives not to give up autonomy except for in love and religion. In love giving up autonomy is actually revered and respected, but I have no idea why. Love isn't a zero sum game. As humans we accept that we are capable of loving our family members all equally, our children all equally and our friends all equally. Having two children doesn't mean you now have to choose which one to love because you can't possibly love both. Why can't we expect that's possible in our romantic lives?

That isn't to say I think monogamy is wrong and you're wrong for wanting it. I think it's all about the individual, and I'm not trying to preach my beliefs and change minds, just giving my perspective on why I don't think I want to do the whole monogamy thing anymore. I also have no idea whether or not I can do open relationships, but I'm giving it a shot.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This all precipitated from feeling like I was fighting something the last few years of my life. Because I couldn't stay interested in any one woman for more than a month at a time something was wrong with me. Wondering why I couldn't accept that the last two serious relationships I was in had expectations attached to them out of the gate. I was expected to take care of them. Differences of opinion on finance and gender role ended those, one of them amicably after over a year of trudging onward as essentially roommates, the other very poorly with lasting effect. They wanted traditional roles in our relationship, I didn't.

Then I started to feel like I just didn't think I'd ever be able to get married because of my belief on the matter. I actually felt like I was supposed to, it was expected of me, but I just wouldn't be able to because every woman I dated I found something wrong with. That was a direct product of my thoughts on what marriage is supposed to be. When I think of marriage I think of it its most traditional sense. Til death do you part. That's fucking intense. So then I thought "well if this is forever she better be fucking perfect".

I can't accept that I have to sacrifice autonomy to prove I can love someone. We fight in every facet of our lives not to give up autonomy except for in love and religion. In love giving up autonomy is actually revered and respected, but I have no idea why. Love isn't a zero sum game. As humans we accept that we are capable of loving our family members all equally, our children all equally and our friends all equally. Having two children doesn't mean you now have to choose which one to love because you can't possibly love both. Why can't we expect that's possible in our romantic lives?

That isn't to say I think monogamy is wrong and you're wrong for wanting it. I think it's all about the individual, and I'm not trying to preach my beliefs and change minds, just giving my perspective on why I don't think I want to do the whole monogamy thing anymore. I also have no idea whether or not I can do open relationships, but I'm giving it a shot.
So what do you think is more likely? That you are some special flower that was somehow made different from everyone else or that you have emotional issues that you haven't dealt with? It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it sounds like you are putting a lot of women through a lot of bullshit because you don't want to work on yourself.

Khane

So what do you think is more likely? That you are some special flower that was somehow made different from everyone else or that you have emotional issues that you haven't dealt with? It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it sounds like you are putting a lot of women through a lot of bullshit because you don't want to work on yourself.
This presumes that human nature indicates monogamy is "natural" and "instinctive". Whereas most evidence points to the contrary.

Khane

What autonomy are you giving up in a relationship and how does an open one fix that?
You must sacrifice your own wants for the good of the person you are with. It's not as dire as that sounds, but you do have to give up things and make sacrifices to your autonomy for monogamy to work. I doubt anyone would argue that. I'm not saying open relationships magically fix all these issues. I don't have all the answers and I don't want to sound preachy because I don't think there is anything wrong with monogamy.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This presumes that human nature indicates monogamy is "natural" and "instinctive". Whereas most evidence points to the contrary.
Oh, I see. Well congratulations on outsmarting everybody, you don't sound delusional at all.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This is my view as well. Personally, I wouldn't want a chick who would be ok with me fucking other girls. That lowers her "value" to me and makes me respect her less. I don't judge anyone for doing it. Have at it, but I have doubts that the vast majority of open relationships are equal in any way.

I would(and have) much prefer to just be single and sleep around.
I'd say she lowered her value when she spread her butt cheeks like Mike Honcho on the second date

Khane

I just think we put too much emphasis on sex and what it means. I don't want to base someone's "value" to me or to the world on who they've slept with or when anymore.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Just come clean. You want to bang chicks who actually shower, but you don't want to break this girl's heart.