Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's a completely reasonable conclusion to draw based on someone's own past experiences. Eomer said it was initially just a fling while she figured out her next steps in life. She thought she'd be moving and her plans fell through so she stayed. Now that she's about to finish school she may be re-evaluating what possibly could have just been a relationship of convenience for her all along.

Amod, let's institute a new rule. We have to open every post with the line "Based on the information I have" so we don't offend the delicate sensibilities of DickTrickle.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
My ex used to flip shit a lot about what she perceived as a lack of respect. I thought she was crazy at the time (and she is in my opinion a selfish bitch with a hair trigger temper), but I've realized she wasn't wrong.

I DID have expectations for her, she routinely failed them, I routinely expressed disappointment in said failures and she could tell over time that it negatively affected my opinion of her (which I didn't realize at the time). It slowly devolved into me being more of a supervisor than partner. Her counter to this was to go over-the-top ballistic over every perceived slight by the end. It wasn't healthy.

All of this is a lot more clear in retrospect; it isn't easy to tell when you are living it. But after she routinely failed expectations, I lost faith in her ability to function as an adult. Which means the relationship should have ended years before it did. Oh well, hindsight is a bitch.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
^Fair enough, but none of that really applies to my situation. I respect the hell out of her, at least internally. But maybe I don't do a good job of showing that.

And nudes. You forgot the nudes.
She won't let me take any
frown.png

Khane_sl said:
Now that she's about to finish school she may be re-evaluating what possibly could have just been a relationship of convenience for her all along.
I never said she is about to finish school. She's not done until May 2017, I believe. She's only about half way through the 3 year program. That's one of the reasons why I don't think she's all that eager to get hitched. Or at least assuming that.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I always consider that.

Wait...runningwhatinto the ground?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
^Fair enough, but none of that really applies to my situation. I respect the hell out of her, at least internally. But maybe I don't do a good job of showing that.
You are right. I was just getting it off my chest since it was related to the topic of the day.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If she has been shacking up with you, then she is likely as big of an over-analyzer as you are. Get back to basics; the shit you did when you first started dating. Assuming you want to go the distance with this woman, her continual progress toward her education goal should be enough. She needs to understand that money is not the only measure of worth in your relationship. If you cannot get that across, then yeah it was a good run, but its over.

Based on what you have related, 50/50 she is looking for an out and too chicken to come out and say that or she is just going through some mid 20s batshit stuff and unable to process it emotionally in a correct manner. The hard part is you are the only person in a position to make that call and solving the situation is going to lead to some permanent life changes, either heading towards engagement or busting it off.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just be sure to get a prenup if you choose the marriage route. This type of insecurity has a high probability of resurfacing down the road even if she gets over it now.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I imagine the company is allowed to declare him incompetent and murder him if he doesn't sign a prenup.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Even without these types of insecurity, if you're a successful and well-off business owner about to marry a broke student...get a prenup.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My wife got dolled up for that wedding we went to and looked 11/10, almost posted pics here but for some reason snapped back to reality