Marvel Heroes 20xx

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Seems after the Gambit unique buffs, his DPS potential is pretty much "top tier."

Aside from his boot slot, all his uniques are now pretty much BiS. Interesting how one patch can change that shit around.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did my first PUG raid with Black Panther today. Both Surtur runs someone left after the engage, but the second time we downed him with only 9 right as the timer expired.

I can't believe the fucking gear setups some people have, but here they are pugging instead of running in a supergroup.

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's a shame how few ppl play Panther, he has such a good kit now. As for gear people use, I can believe anything...someone in my guild took a SS of a 60 Storm using Hellfire Shotgun and Cerebro uniques...mental Storm?!?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's a shame how few ppl play Panther, he has such a good kit now. As for gear people use, I can believe anything...someone in my guild took a SS of a 60 Storm using Hellfire Shotgun and Cerebro uniques...mental Storm?!?
I more meant that I saw some people with just ridiculously pimped out gear. Like if I liquidated every legendary I had, I wouldn't have enough Helas to buy their kit.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Seems after the Gambit unique buffs, his DPS potential is pretty much "top tier."

Aside from his boot slot, all his uniques are now pretty much BiS. Interesting how one patch can change that shit around.
Which of his specs? Card throwin gambit or staff man?

Bruman

Golden Squire
How do people feel about this game as a time-waster when you just want to kill things for a little here and there?

It's hard to get an up-to-date review of the game, because there's so many older reviews out there. Apparently this was very negatively received at launch. I've watched/read some newer reviews, and some of them apparently still reference wrong things that have changed. Here's a few questions:

-Characters used to be only through cash, but now you can collect things to unlock them. How terrible of a grind is this? Is there still any randomness to it?
-I heard that the game was just "average" and the combat was also just "average". Nothing bad, nothing great. Do people here agree? Have there been improvements to it?
-For your first character, how long does it take it to get to max level?
-What's there to do at max-level? Gear grind, like most Diablo-clones?
-How many different zones/worlds/maps are there? Does it feel like a nice variety?

Some of this I've googled, I just want people's opinions on it. Thanks!

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
It's fun as hell. Drop 20 bucks or whatever to play rogue unless you really really like a character already. Rogue steals powers from friends & foes and has a huge combination of possible builds. At max level you can gear grind or raid. There are systems in place to keep you logging in everyday, and there's an AA system in place that you won't cap on unless you quit your job to grind and spend all your welfare money on exp boosts. The different game modes have different maps, and the 'dungeons' have like 12? maps that have 3 difficulties. There's also pvp but it sucked ass last time I played and never tried it again. it's a good, fun casual game that also rewards hardcore gameplay if you wanna sperg out some weekend and grind.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Leveling speed is primarily determined by the character. Generally speaking, AoE heavy characters level much faster than single target focused heroes, although single target heroes are heavily favored in raids, and likely always will be. Doesn't matter much now, but it might matter more in the future.

Of the starters, Storm and Human Torch are fairly quick leveling AoE focused heroes. Black Panther is a top tier single target hero. Luke Cage can be top notch but is heavily gear dependent. The rest are kind of meh.

Goatface

Which of his specs? Card throwin gambit or staff man?
think range is currently better. really need to see how my gear compares to the new max numbers.
some of the vids and ttk numbers are impressive from the top tier guys.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
-Characters used to be only through cash, but now you can collect things to unlock them. How terrible of a grind is this? Is there still any randomness to it?
-I heard that the game was just "average" and the combat was also just "average". Nothing bad, nothing great. Do people here agree? Have there been improvements to it?
-For your first character, how long does it take it to get to max level?
-What's there to do at max-level? Gear grind, like most Diablo-clones?
-How many different zones/worlds/maps are there? Does it feel like a nice variety?
It's 175 eternity splinters for a random hero box. You get about 4 per hour of playing (more if you have buffs to your drop rates), plus some bonuses from time to time. I get enough every 4-6 weeks probably. You'll also get enough splinters for a bonus character the first time you complete the story.

I don't play a lot of arpgs...but Diablo and Torchlight never hooked me like Marvel Heroes has. Every character feels unique, which is amazing to me. The game isn't hard...it's just fun to beat up on things while I'm watching tv.

My first character was Thing, which was probably one of the slowest characters to level. I don't know how many hours it took, but I also didn't know that I should be doing Legendaries and Midtown Madness for xp...I was just running the story mode. I'd estimate 10-20 hours for your first character? You can do it faster than that if you're trying, for sure, though.

Gear-grind and raids, which I'm guessing are just another gear-grind, lol. They do a great job of keeping stuff fresh by having events pretty much every week.

There are 3 main hubs for your character...I don't know how many maps there are, though. There are about 10-15 terminals that people run, then Midtown Madness and another loot-fest zone they're adding soon, a couple One-Shot story missions, holo-sim, x-defense, and the raids. I thought I would get sick of running the same stuff over and over, but I haven't yet. Except for holo-sim...by about the 8th wave, I'm almost trying to lose.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
think range is currently better. really need to see how my gear compares to the new max numbers.
some of the vids and ttk numbers are impressive from the top tier guys.
Yes, ranged/energy build. Most of his unique now have triggered dmg buffs that have pretty much 100% uptime. One of the few heroes worth using pretty much all his uniques on. Just with a few basic unique tweaking, he's become a monster

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I decided to give the game a shot two weeks ago after reading this thread.

I picked Hawkeye as my starter (bad bad choice). Messed around for an evening and decided to drop 20 bucks for the Star-Lord bundle and a team up character, which was Groot. Had a blast leveling Star-Lord and running the various game modes. Collected enough splinters for a random roll and picked up Wolverine. Instantly shelved Star-Lord and have been playing Wolverine full time. It really is a fun little game. I'm enjoying it much more than Torchlight and D3.

I wish someone would have told me at the start to just ignore the beginner hero and buy whatever character I want to play as. Make sure to buy a team up companion as well...and a few stash slots.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, I ground out Orange and Red prestige on Cyke tonig. Really don't know that I want to take the plunge on cosmic prestige but now's the time to do it if I'm going to.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I installed this last night, and picked Rocket - lots of fun. The game is perfect for just hopping in and killing dudes, and right now (got to level 14), it's waaay too easy. I know that's common in ARPGs, and D3 did the same - where it was faceroll until like level 45, and even then it was still easy, you just had to dodge the floor a little more now.

I'm thinking my first splinters will be for a team-up companion - if nothing else, just to put the gear on it, to get some extra stats. As Rocket, who already has a Groot command, if I get Groot as a team-up too...does that mean I get two Groots? Any team-up partner in particular that I should get over others? Some were pretty damn expensive.

Edit: whoops, didn't finish a sentence. Didn't mean to say the game was perfect, hah.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I installed this last night, and picked Rocket - lots of fun. The game is perfect, and right now (got to level 14), it's waaay too easy. I know that's common in ARPGs, and D3 did the same - where it was faceroll until like level 45, and even then it was still easy, you just had to dodge the floor a little more now.
Once you unlock them, Red terminals are decently challenging while leveling. Not like super hard, though some heroes do suck at them, but at least there's a risk of dying. Everything else is garbage besides doing high waves of the group stuff but meh.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm saving up for Firestar as my first teamup since she has the best all-around passives. At something like 420ish splinters, which feels weird since this is the first time since I started playing that I didn't immediately buy a random hero box at 175.

Still too much of a pussy to cosmic prestige Cyclops.