Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think I saw enough from the streamers yesterday to make a non-purchase decision on this. I fucking hate these characters. All of them. The look like derpy cucks, they act like moronic kids from some MTV show, and who ever wrote the dialogue must be mentally challenged. I loath the Dragon Age Inquisition elements and fetch quests without any depth.

Fucking thing sucks.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Only 3k people are bothering to watch this being streamed on twitch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
No that's not the point - the point is they can be shitty at writing dialogue AND terrible at making intelligent story decisions!

We can agree there

fist-bump.jpg

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I think I saw enough from the streamers yesterday to make a non-purchase decision on this. I fucking hate these characters. All of them. The look like derpy cucks, they act like moronic kids from some MTV show, and who ever wrote the dialogue must be mentally challenged. I loath the Dragon Age Inquisition elements and fetch quests without any depth.

Fucking thing sucks.

Yeah....watching more, god damn these characters seem bad. They mix elements that shouldn't be mixed. Essentially they are trying to mix the two arcs below.

1.) Naive, earnest and ambitious kids who start off overly idealistic and have people doubt them and dismiss them (IE they only got picked because Daddy.)...Then through the story have their ideals challenged, and change and make them grow less naive and more well respected. (This is a great arc, and of course fucking impossible for a social justice writer because they believe their ideals are practical and needed. =-/)

2.) Accomplished and confident, and everyone treats them like a bad ass already (IE original Mass Effect), but they have a chip on their shoulder because everyone around them are the idiots above (Earnest and idealistic, not bad people--just fucking naive). However deep down he is a good guy, he just KNOWS how things go, and the best way to help people often doesn't involve idealism and bullshit. So he goes through the story BTFO these idealistic idiots, and saving them and slowly changing hearts and minds to see how he's actually what what the idealist NEEDED, and he's a good guy, his methods though are what people need, not what they want (IE Dark Knight).

Instead what we have are these accomplished, confident (Supposedly? Everyone fucking treats them like that...) kids who sound incredibly naive and dopey, and we SEE them constantly being corrected by everyone. So despite everyone around them SAYING they are accomplished heroic "Pathfinders", we SEE everyone treat them like dopey kids that need a short leash. It's just not a good mix.

I get wanting to break away from the whole "Specter" or "Hero" Shepherd type story, and have a character that grows, rather than making those around him grow. But it seems like they half assed it, and were really fucking lazy, and what's worse, genuinely believe the worst aspects of characters are charming. I mean, maybe 20 hours in this will change and you guys will tell me the writing becomes an amazing arc with a good purpose? But right now this looks like dog shit, like some fan fiction Twilight young adult version of how to save the universe and be a totally amazing person at the same time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think the success of DA:O and ME1/2 locked Bioware into having a special title for all the protagonists whether it be Spectre, Inquisitor, Warden, Champion or whatever.

I don't really think that's a bad thing for Bioware games. You're not supposed to be a nameless dude like it's an MMO, or to forge your own destiny in a elder scrolls game.

But everything about a "Pathfinder" identity seems retarded, and I haven't seen any footage to witness the character problems Lithose is describing.

Personally, I don't want to play a flawed protagonist whose ingame personality grows and changes. If I evolve from not taking a game seriously and clowning all the dialog options at the start to taking it seriously and being noble in the end, I want that to be my choice. And if I go from noble paladin to dark jedi because I'm tired of everyone's bullshit, that should be on me.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
BTW: Thinking about a time when Lithose #1 was done well, I think Fable #1 and Baldur's Gate accomplished this sort of. You start out as basically a child, but are mentored by your companions at the start. This goes hand in hand with the fact that as a player you don't know wtf is going on. This isn't true in ME:A, where we're pretty much rolling into the game as 3-game veterans.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Skyrim did the same thing calling the player Dovahkiin.

Even if text-to-voice synthesis ever gets good enough to deliver good in-game voice dialog, I don't think they'd ever let the player run around being called "Captain Smegbiscuit" by NPC's.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lithose's comment makes me think he's never played ME1-3 before...

Every character developed far from their original incarnation - hell, Tali follows his format exactly from the start to a T. And then of course some of the characters follow the opposite path (Wrex and Mordin for example start out relatively gruff and distant respectively but end up as very caring types)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Can someone tell me why they ran off to the Andromeda Galaxy? Is the Milky Way too fucked?

Mao

Trakanon Raider
At least the combat seems to look ok so far. Makes me have hope that again, the multiplayer might save the day. But the story seems tripe. I've heard it said that 'writers' are a dime a dozen and wanting to be a video game writer pretty much means you are just one of a million who can write a story. But, watching this shit I seriously think they need to reevaluate the importance of good writers. Yeah, you need solid mechanics but when your writing is such shit it keeps yanking me out of the game your mechanics are just going to go to waste.

sukik

At least the combat seems to look ok so far. Makes me have hope that again, the multiplayer might save the day. But the story seems tripe. I've heard it said that 'writers' are a dime a dozen and wanting to be a video game writer pretty much means you are just one of a million who can write a story. But, watching this shit I seriously think they need to reevaluate the importance of good writers. Yeah, you need solid mechanics but when your writing is such shit it keeps yanking me out of the game your mechanics are just going to go to waste.

The writing is why Bioware games used to be an automatic buy for me. From what I've seen of these reviews I'm not going to bother playing Andromeda unless I can pick it up for 5$ and I'm really bored. Which may never happen because I have a huge backlog of good/decent games that just keeps growing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mao

Trakanon Raider
The writing is why Bioware games used to be an automatic buy for me. From what I've seen of these reviews I'm not going to bother playing Andromeda unless I can pick it up for 5$ and I'm really bored. Which may never happen because I have a huge backlog of good/decent games that just keeps growing.
I agree. You remember games for the story. Gameplay makes it fun, but the ones that truly stand out in memory are because of the characters and story. Last of Us is perhaps the best recent example. I honestly can barely remember most the game play elements, but the characters and story are burned into my memory.

I just remember hearing from other places about what studios prioritize, how they feel about budgeting and what is the 'more important' aspects. And writers are often described as something that just anyone can do. The fact that its not a hard skill that you can see the results of, like animators or gameplay designers i guess makes it tougher to value in a substantive way.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Watched them play through one bronze and one silver match on multi. Looks really good. The ice map has a TON of verticle stuff on it and it looks a good bit larger than the old me3 maps.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It all seems really bad after playing Torment. Even the random background people in that are so interesting I want their whole life story.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Is it wrong that I hope this breaks the studio enough that the EA bean counters start cracking the whip?

• 1Like

Vaclav

What's really annoying is that Indians, by every metric that supposedly is evidence of 'white privilege', have more privilege than whites. Higher wages, less time for the same crime, less infractions in schools, high graduation %, higher populations in high earning fields ect.

Depends entirely on the "Indian" nation in question. Bahrain vs. India, etc.