Mechanical Keyboards

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Personally I find blacks a bit too stiff. For typing I prefer blue and for everything else I prefer browns. I guess if I had a 'favorite all purpose' switch it would be brown. But I also bias towards tactile instead of linear.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You might be right about blacks, I haven't tried them in a prolonged setting.

I was leaning towards browns before I tried anything, but after getting a sampler pack, the tactile bump adds nothing, might even be a slight negative. Not sure how, but it's definitely not helping in feedback, so why is it there?

I want the actuation resistance of the browns without the bump.

Tenks

I found the bump becomes quite noticeable when you're playing very quickly. Especially playing an RTS where you generally spam the same couple of keys back to back. The slight bump made it so I couldn't just accidentally depress it without a bit of effort but no so difficult I had to put too much effort into it. Like the blue you need to put a bit of oomph to get it depressed but the brown is far more forgiving. But with the bump you get active feedback knowing when the depression has occurred.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Is this a good deal? Have no idea about these Cherry MX Silent key switches. The deal almost seems too good.

4370907_sd.jpg;canvasHeight=550;canvasWidth=642

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-...&skuId=4370907

Tenks

It looks like the silents just have some built-in sound dampening to the switch. It also makes the travel a bit shorter. It appears they're featured in black (like this one) and red.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They can market their new revolutionary mechanical device as being superior to Cherry switches but I'd take the proven commodity. It also sounds like the switch is more complex which would lead me to think they'd be prone to breaking. It seemed like they designed the switch with two things in mind (a) LEDs (b) accuation distance. Neither of which are things which are compelling to me. Although I wouldn't get the K95, either, simply because I don't like Reds.
I've replaced around 5keys on my kinesis (the switches), But i also have like 200 assorted switches on hand or just in donor boards, the only way to replace the keys on a G910 would be to buy another G910 (or which ever board uses those logitech Roger??) keys. Of course you could always desolder never used switches like prnt screen/numlock to replace a failed key.

You might be right about blacks, I haven't tried them in a prolonged setting.

I was leaning towards browns before I tried anything, but after getting a sampler pack, the tactile bump adds nothing, might even be a slight negative. Not sure how, but it's definitely not helping in feedback, so why is it there?

I want the actuation resistance of the browns without the bump.
Reds are browns w/ the bump, same acuation force/spring.

If you want a more noticable bump/tactile, try whites.

Tenks

I thought the tactile bump added to the overall actuation force.
It does because you have to overcome the increased force to go over the bump. I'm not sure if lanx worded it poorly or was mistaken but the browns are the ones with a bump and reds are linear. Like I said I prefer switches with bumps because I like the tactile feedback of the keypress. Linear switches always just felt like high quality membrane keys to me. You get no feedback from the key knowing that it has activated.

With all that said, though, normally when I'm gaming I bottom the key out anyways so it doesn't matter. Only some games (Starcraft mainly) does the tactile feedback come into play. But the feedback I feel is very noticeable when typing. Especially with like a blue which has a very noticeable tactile and an audio cue as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I need a good mechanical keyboard and have never used one before.

What's the best switches for a noob to get? Is there a standard keyboard I should get? I was looking at some Corsair's as they seem to be at a good price point.

Tenks

What is the primary purpose of the keyboard going to be? If gaming what is the primary genre?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Gaming. I'm mainly playing FPS (Overwatch, CS:GO) and MOBAs (HOTS). I also play WoW but I don't think that really matters.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Gaming. I'm mainly playing FPS (Overwatch, CS:GO) and MOBAs (HOTS). I also play WoW but I don't think that really matters.
Reds or Browns. Reds are by far my favorite switch for gaming. Smooth linear light presses. Browns if you must have the tactile feedback.

I would go reds since you want a linear for FPS's. Browns for your MOBA's. Which genre takes more importance I guess is the question.

Avoid those blacks. I would know.

(They are fatiguing)

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I have browns now and what I'll probably always stick with. The tactile element isn't exactly an advantage or anything, but it's one of the things that is cool about a mechanical keyboard and why I wouldn't want to step below browns.

I've had a DAS for about 5 years and looking at their latest boards think it's time for a new one. Anyone with a compelling argument for another company? I've been extremely satisfied with the DAS the past few years.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I have browns now and what I'll probably always stick with. The tactile element isn't exactly an advantage or anything, but it's one of the things that is cool about a mechanical keyboard and why I wouldn't want to step below browns.

I've had a DAS for about 5 years and looking at their latest boards think it's time for a new one. Anyone with a compelling argument for another company? I've been extremely satisfied with the DAS the past few years.
DAS was the go to company because their quality was top notch. Now there are so many more options for "A" quality that you may as get one with some style, and software options. I own the following mechanical brands.

DAS A
Corsair A
Razer B-
Ducky A
Deck A++ (this thing will kill you)
Vortex B
Max Keyboard B+
KBC B+

The Deck by a country mile is the best made keyboard.

The Corsair K65 RGB is my favorite keyboard though. Build quality, software and style. I am pretty much done with mechanical keyboards since purchasing the K65.

Tenks

The general consensus is that linear switches are the superior FPS switch. Most common of that breed would be reds or black. Red requiring less force than black.

Tenks

Why replace if the deck is working out fine? I think outside of their new gamer line the only thing Das has added in the past years are media keys and USB hub. Also examine closely many Das decks have moved over to Greetech switches instead of Cherry. If they're willing to cut corners on the switch manufacturer I'm not sure where else they'd be willing to cut corners. Both my work and home keyboards are Das but I probably won't buy another one simply because I'm nervous they're somewhat selling out for profit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The general consensus is that linear switches are the superior FPS switch. Most common of that breed would be reds or black. Red requiring less force than black.
Corsair has their new Cherry Rapidfire switches.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Why replace if the deck is working out fine? I think outside of their new gamer line the only thing Das has added in the past years are media keys and USB hub. Also examine closely many Das decks have moved over to Greetech switches instead of Cherry. If they're willing to cut corners on the switch manufacturer I'm not sure where else they'd be willing to cut corners. Both my work and home keyboards are Das but I probably won't buy another one simply because I'm nervous they're somewhat selling out for profit.
I don't take great care of my computer peripherals in all honesty. I understand that one of the benefits of a nice mech keyboard is the length of time you can use it, but 5 years is a good stretch for me and sometimes it's nice to just have something new. The price of these style of keyboards isn't a huge deal. I'm single. Haha.