Mechanical Keyboards

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've seen plenty of sites where you can have custom key caps made, even large ones that span what would be multiple letter slots. Problem is, they aren't a temporary solution that just slides over the existing keys, you'd have to constantly be pulling out the key caps you don't want, replacing them with the custom cap just for Path of Exile, and then swapping them back again when you want normal keyboard use. That's a lot of wear & tear on the keyboard, constantly popping keys in and out.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm looking for something that will effectively group my keys together. Specifically for playing PoE I want to hit 3-4-5 all at the same time. I want some sort of bar I can place over my keycaps so when I depress 1 it depresses them all. Does something like that exist?
Tenks, why not just use a software? Just curious.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm not looking for something which would use a 3rd party to simulate the key presses. I could do that already pretty easily. I was just looking for a hardware solution.
that is a hardware solution, it's basically a 10key keyboard w/ macro ability, it's probably the only thing in the world like that. (unless you program your own keyboard w/ arduino)

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Tenks, why not just use a software? Just curious.
Although I doubt GGG would care it is technically against their ToS to use software to perform multiple actions via a macro. So if you AutoHotkeyIt so when I hit either 3, 4 or 5 it always hits 3, 4 and 5 that is TECHNICALLY against the rules and they would be in full right to ban my account. But if I have no background exes performing my macro functionality they'd have no way of being able to detect that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Although I doubt GGG would care it is technically against their ToS to use software to perform multiple actions via a macro. So if you AutoHotkeyIt so when I hit either 3, 4 or 5 it always hits 3, 4 and 5 that is TECHNICALLY against the rules and they would be in full right to ban my account. But if I have no background exes performing my macro functionality they'd have no way of being able to detect that.
the xkeys PS2 is hardware, no software involved. (i specifically went for the ps2 b/c of this, HOWEVER you need a ps2 keyboard to capture the keystrokes)

Tenks

the xkeys PS2 is hardware, no software involved. (i specifically went for the ps2 b/c of this, HOWEVER you need a ps2 keyboard to capture the keystrokes)
Hm no PS2 on my keyboard. I don't know if I'd want to constantly connect/disconnect something like that, either. Which is why I was hoping for just a little bridge. I'll probably try to just make something tonight and see how it goes.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Gotcha. Grab a Corsair keyboard. Make your macros, hotkeys profiles..whatever. Save it on board the corsair. Kill the software. You're done.

Tenks

Gotcha. Grab a Corsair keyboard. Make your macros, hotkeys profiles..whatever. Save it on board the corsair. Kill the software. You're done.
I rigged up a prototype with a piece of plastic and duct tape. It works like a charm!

Tenks

I took an Ikea allen wrench extender plastic deal and broke it to size. I then attached duct tape below. My next iteration is to find something much more low-profile. I'll probably head to the craft store and look for some thin pieces of wood. It works no matter where you depress it except for the very, very edge of the 3 and 5 keys. Other than that all 3 depress at the same time. The only issue I was encountering some sometimes I'd double tap.

OH180Ca.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Reminds me of having a "counterstrike" monitor with a black Sharpie dot in the middle of the screen to no scope people.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So I accidentally bought a mechanical keyboard. My old saitek basically bit the dust (shift key started sticking and space bar was iffy at best) and I needed a keyboard right away so instead of doing any research I just went to best buy.

I wanted some extra keys near my tab and caps lock keys so I could make use of more hotkeys when needed and the only keyboard they had with anything like that was the Logitech g910. I kinda barfed a little at the price tag but got it anyway because I needed to get back to the house and game.

Didn't realize until I started typing on it that it was a mechanical keyboard but I gotta say. I like it. I like it a lot.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I accidentally bought a mechanical keyboard. My old saitek basically bit the dust (shift key started sticking and space bar was iffy at best) and I needed a keyboard right away so instead of doing any research I just went to best buy.

I wanted some extra keys near my tab and caps lock keys so I could make use of more hotkeys when needed and the only keyboard they had with anything like that was the Logitech g910. I kinda barfed a little at the price tag but got it anyway because I needed to get back to the house and game.

Didn't realize until I started typing on it that it was a mechanical keyboard but I gotta say. I like it. I like it a lot.
If you paid 130 for it, that's about the price of a standard Mech Keyboard anyway, well a good one w/ price would be 100ish, but the G910 is one of the few rare ones w/ "gamer" keys on the side anyway, so you pretty much made about the best purchase for your needs anyway, if that makes you feel better about paying a pretty high price.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why do you say that? The G910 is rated for 20 million more keystrokes than the K95 and I'm already used to it so typing on it doesn't feel weird to me.

Tenks

Why do you say that? The G910 is rated for 20 million more keystrokes than the K95 and I'm already used to it so typing on it doesn't feel weird to me.
They can market their new revolutionary mechanical device as being superior to Cherry switches but I'd take the proven commodity. It also sounds like the switch is more complex which would lead me to think they'd be prone to breaking. It seemed like they designed the switch with two things in mind (a) LEDs (b) accuation distance. Neither of which are things which are compelling to me. Although I wouldn't get the K95, either, simply because I don't like Reds.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not a huge fan of reds too, feel to prone to accidental actuation. I wish blacks were most common. What's the point of all these types of switches if a model you like only offers a couple types?