Military Thread

Astaire_sl

shitlord
Whoa bro, what were you doing there?
I'm Security Forces stationed on Bellows. Skate assignment where the majority of my time is spent writing parking tickets and talking to folks on the beach.

Marines were training adjacent to us and one of the Ospreys came down on our perimeter fence. Hit my lights and sirens and pulled up to total chaos. But like I said, those dudes handled themselves with some seriously beat up guys. Two ended up passing away out of the 22 on board. I got a few nurses visiting the beach and our lifeguards over the fence to assist with the triage but there wasn't a whole lot to do at that point. We set up a casualty collection point away from the burning wreckage and waited on EMS to arrive.

Bellows AFS is strictly an R&R base with no resources whatsoever so having an aircraft go down on it was out of nowhere. I mean, I wear black shorts and a black polo as my "uniform".

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Out of the many, many first-term enlistment marriages I witnessed, I can only think of one "I'm going to get married to improve my QoL" situation. Most are just dipshit 18-20 year olds who genuinely believe that they're in love, and obviously marriage is not only the proper step forward in the relationship, but every month delayed is tangibly expensive. Contract marriages do happen, but in my experience, it wasn't nearly as common as people liked to make it sound.
I've never seen any straight (or admitted) contract marriages but plenty of young kids getting married in/right out of tech school. Of all of those, only one lasted - and the chick got pregnant right away, used that to get out of the Air Force, and now they have like 3 kids and are both under 25. No thanks!

I'm Security Forces stationed on Bellows.
Hate.

Fadaar

That guy
I might get some flak for this but I have serious issues with women in the military having children while on active duty. Unless they're in a useless office job then they should be replaced by a civilian anyway. Yeah not all women are shitty about it but so so many milk the hell out of it to get out of deployments or just work in general. The "oh I'm pregnant and can't deploy" followed by the "oh I lost the baby" a month after everyone leaves. Get the fuck out of here with that shit. This could also be the salty unmarried with no children side of me talking too. You know, the perfect storm for bitch work: young, male, and single.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Or the women that get pregnant while on deployment and you have to commit and ungodly amount of resources to get them off/back to the states for well check-ups.

#salty. Single men in the military over a longer enlistment period will flat out get screwed on deployment billets and duty stations because;

A) All of a sudden Suzy isn't deployable anymore you're next on the lost.

B) Johnny is about to have a baby and his CIC wants him to be there for paternity leave. Guess whose next in line.

The list goes on. I literally got OUT of the military after 10 years because of this.

Came back to the states after a Kuwait to Iraq to Fallujah to Afghanistan deployment circle (all of which I saw direct combat except in Kuwait) and checked into a stateside duty station (Corspman) only to be told by a Chief a month in that I had take a deployment with the knuckleheads out of 29 Palms because it was "My turn".

I told that Chief to go fuck himself that I wasn't going anywhere and went through my chain of command to straighten it out. Turned out 10 people on this "list" were sailors who had tenure at the command and we're mostly women / married men with some sort of reason as to why they couldn't go.

That situation almost ended poorly for me though. They tried to deny my reenlistment and block some packages I had sent away. I got the command heavily involved in my affair so they were probably glad to see me go lol.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Or the women that get pregnant while on deployment and you have to commit and ungodly amount of resources to get them off/back to the states for well check-ups.

#salty. Single men in the military over a longer enlistment period will flat out get screwed on deployment billets and duty stations because;

A) All of a sudden Suzy isn't deployable anymore you're next on the lost.

B) Johnny is about to have a baby and his CIC wants him to be there for paternity leave. Guess whose next in line.

The list goes on. I literally got OUT of the military after 10 years because of this.

Came back to the states after a Kuwait to Iraq to Fallujah to Afghanistan deployment circle (all of which I saw direct combat except in Kuwait) and checked into a stateside duty station (Corspman) only to be told by a Chief a month in that I had take a deployment with the knuckleheads out of 29 Palms because it was "My turn".

I told that Chief to go fuck himself that I wasn't going anywhere and went through my chain of command to straighten it out. Turned out 10 people on this "list" were sailors who had tenure at the command and we're mostly women / married men with some sort of reason as to why they couldn't go.

That situation almost ended poorly for me though. They tried to deny my reenlistment and block some packages I had sent away. I got the command heavily involved in my affair so they were probably glad to see me go lol.
Never understand that. I practically had to beg to deploy. At the end of the day the career types in the military are two types;

People with awesome jobs or just shit patriotism

Or

People who are institutionalized or can't leave due to dependants.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I wanted to deploy for years, never got to. Now I hope I don't pick one up (2.5 years left) because it'll interfere with school.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Go join the NAVY and become an FMF Corspman (shit I bet you don't even have to join during wartime) and you will get all the deployments you can handle. Or until you kill yourself or die. 3rd MAR DIVs deployment to Fallujah was just over a year from plane up to plane down out of Kaneohe. Then 6 months later it was onwards to Afghanistan.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
rrr_img_99011.jpg

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Love that photo. It's hard not to be a prick to people that talk about their AFG deployment which was a year at fucking leatherneck. I spent 7 months at battalion/company positions in northern Helmand. Mmm, UGRs. Shit, I'd have been totally up for doing a week or two of R&R then flying back and finishing out my contract (1.5 years) at Leatherneck -- internet, more money, less distractions, AND legitimately safer than CONUS. Would have banked 20k and put on some serious muscle. Or maybe eaten myself into obesity at those fantastic DFACs. Either/or.

Also blows my mind that Manas is the highest suicide threat base in the entire USAF. What self-entitled pussies; Manas was like an awesome vacation spot. Sure, it got cold as shit, but they were collecting the exact same amount of pay of a grunt in Sangin because its considered in-theatre... but they get to drink and go on ski-trips. All the airmen there looked super bummed out that they had to spend an entire THREE MONTHS there as permanent party. The transient chow hall at Manas had better food than any chow hall I'd ever seen on Pendleton. This thing was in a fucking tent in a shitstain country and it beat out the food at our largest CONUS base. Fuck.

• 1Brony
Reactions: 1 user

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Mostly every chow hall I ate at while away from CONUS was better than camp chow. It's probably the contractors they hire who get paid well to serve and prepare the food whereas you're stuck hiring the garbage right outside of base to come work at the chow hall.

Spent almost a year at Camp Blessing in AFG in Kunar Valley. There were times I just rolled out of my bunk and ate an MRE breakfast than bother with walking 100 yards to the chow hall that served frozen milk and cold watery eggs.

Just so I can contribute to this thread...here's a picture I took from my time there.

rrr_img_99083.jpg

Astaire_sl

shitlord
I remember waking up legitimately excited because it meant it was time to eat again at the COB Adder/Ali AB DFAC. I've never eaten so well in my entire life and it took a 6-month stay in Iraq to accomplish that. It was 2010 and by that point all of the deployed personnel and Iraqis were just bored of fighting so not a damn thing happened during our 150 or so missions. Except my MRAP got stuck in the mud once which was only an inconvenience because that meant missing dinner. And it was Surf and Turf Night ffs.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
When we left Musa Qalah, we had to chill at Leatherneck for about a week before continuing on to Manas. I probably ate 6k calories a day. They color-coded their food in there to help people with nutrition info (green/yellow/red). We would openly mock their warning signs that said shit like ("Never go FULL RED.") as we piled ridiculous garbage onto our plates. I can see why so many people get fat as fuck on their big-base deployments... it'd take a lot of self-discipline to not get addicted to that food on a boring twelve month deployment.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
The Fallen of World War II on Vimeo

An animated data-driven documentary about war and peace, The Fallen of World War II looks at the human cost of the second World War and sizes up the numbers to other wars in history, including trends in recent conflicts.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I lucked out on my Iraq deployment in a way. I was stationed at COB Speicher, so we were able to live the easy life once our shit missions ended. The missions in Tikrit flat out sucked. My deployment to Afghanistan was a shit show. Ended up on a outpost in the middle of a farm in Kandahar, that was maybe the size of a football field with a perimeter of 1-4 feet from our walls. In some towers you couldn't even see the wire or the kids against the wall. Commander was more worried about checking everyone's facebook whenever we had access than allowing/fixing upgrades. I ended up on a PSD mission for a Colonel at FOB Walton(Camp Diamond) who was in charge of SFAT teams. Best job I ever had on any deployment.

Here is one of the towers. It even had a trench next to it. When spring came, you couldn't see shit due to the crops growing. Oh ya, we had our infrared taken away since someone claimed it ruined their night vision (not goggles). Even with the the pvs 4s we couldn't see anything with the crops. If we were attacked at night, I would almost bet anything half my company would have died. But hey, anything for the blimp!

rrr_img_99622.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Lesbian, gay, bisexual: I could care less. But how do trans people pass any type of psych evals?
About half of trans persons are pretty normal all things considered, because they've known all their life, and the only struggle was how to express it and what to do about it, a lot like gay people.

The other half though... welp.

Oh, btw, I'm browsing this thread because I'm thinking of having the Air Force pay for my PhD, after I finish my current program. How good/horrible do you think it would be to spend 3+ years of my life afterwards being an Air Force psychologist?