Military Thread

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I mean the actual time IN the military isn't about money. The jobs it can lead to...yes :p

Big part of why I joined was to get into the career I want.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Military isn't bad; especially for people with zero job skills. You can: save a lot of money, have health insurance, network, and leave with a paid for education. Even as an E-3, in an infantry battalion in the USMC, I felt more "free" and that I had far more income than all of my civilian friends. $1600'ish net a month, zero bills, and 30 days paid vacation a year...

Fadaar

That guy
Best part is when you move off base and your paycheck doubles without any of the added pay being taxed. Roommate and I netted $1900+ a month between us in BAH and our rent was $525. Lots to pocket. Advantage to living in a low cost of living area I guess.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah were lucky as fuck. Only way youre getting bah as a single e6 or below is if your base is packed. Even being 3-4 to a room at pendleton, getting bah as a single Marine due to overfilled barracks was about as common as winning the lottery.

Overall military pay is fucking terrible imo due to the fact nothing is relative. Doesnt matter if you are in a complete shit unit that makes you work 50-60 hours a week ontop of spending 2-3 months in the field a year like I was in or in a cushy unit training unit that has 35 hour work weeks with no chance of field ops, you get paid the same. Though once youre out the gi bill does really help get over how shitty it was.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Yeah were lucky as fuck. Only way youre getting bah as a single e6 or below is if your base is packed. Even being 3-4 to a room at pendleton, getting bah as a single Marine due to overfilled barracks was about as common as winning the lottery.
Luckily that wasn't true for the AF. I was living in a 1400 sq. ft. apartment in Kaiserslautern as an E3 with about 10 months in service :p Yay for $1400 a month OHA and another $600 for utilities + $500 for COLA. I miss living overseas.

Dookiefart

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah. Well they're trying to stiff duel mil families and only letting the higher ranking person collect bah.

Astaire_sl

shitlord

Overall military pay is fucking terrible imo due to the fact nothing is relative. Doesnt matter if you are in a complete shit unit that makes you work 50-60 hours a week ontop of spending 2-3 months in the field a year like I was in or in a cushy unit training unit that has 35 hour work weeks with no chance of field ops, you get paid the same. Though once youre out the gi bill does really help get over how shitty it was.
E6? Holy shit. Air Force is pretty standard E-4 and you're out of the dorms. I was out as an E-3. Currently at Bellows AFS. Hawaii pay is insane even with the cost of living being so bad here. Roughly $2700 in BAH alone and I pay $2100 to live alone close to the beach. On top of the ridiculous COLA it's not a bad place to be for my last few years in before I punch out.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The fact that the AF refers to them as dorms should tell you something :p I remember in Pensacola all the AF dudes getting their "substandard" housing allowances for having to suffer through living in a navy barracks on a navy base.

On the aviation side the navy is pretty much the same regulations as the AF, E-4 and you are out in town. on the surface side though those fucks have to live on the ship until they are E4+4 (years in), or they make rank. Not quite as bad as fucking E6 having to live in the barracks but still pretty shitty.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Well, anyone that picks the USMC then bitches about comfort has no leg to stand on. I always told people that were thinking about joining: pick the USN or USAF, if you really have a chip on your shoulder and something to prove then contemplate the USMC -- but don't end up all bitter that you work harder, get treated worse, and paid the same.

To Phoenix; I spent my entire enlistment with V24 and it never bothered me that there were people with obviously better quality of lives elsewhere. Part of the reason I joined was to teach myself how not to be a lazy fucktard; I mean, why else would anyone pick the USMC unless they really really really want to go kill foreigners (in which case, USMC 0321 is your gig). Besides; while I put more hours in than the average guy in the wing, he also looked like a boot when he had to rock any uniform with ribbons. It still pisses my brother off, to this day, that they brought back the service uniform every friday thing. Brother spent all 5 years doing comm on pendleton; left as a 3 medal Sgt and fucking hated wearing his chucks.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Its not so much whinning because soandso has a better room, its the fact it was an absolute management fucking disaster and the retarded brass who were in charge acted like they had no idea why pfcs go out and marry the first rotten piece of ass that says yes and end up with a 300 credit score and their co being bombarded with collections notices.

Problem with the military is the system thinks it is infallible since they it is the us military, the best military. Since they are the best everything they do and say is perfect thus no need to change, its the dumbass people coming in that are wrong, not the system. Only made worse when again, you cant criticize or call out bad leadership(god damn the "awakening" was a fucking retarded idea amos) because again those guys are colonels or generals and thus infallible, like the system.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Out of the many, many first-term enlistment marriages I witnessed, I can only think of one "I'm going to get married to improve my QoL" situation. Most are just dipshit 18-20 year olds who genuinely believe that they're in love, and obviously marriage is not only the proper step forward in the relationship, but every month delayed is tangibly expensive. Contract marriages do happen, but in my experience, it wasn't nearly as common as people liked to make it sound.

Astaire_sl

shitlord
I will say I've a new found respect for the Marines after being part of the Osprey crash on the 17th. Seeing wounded pulling wounded off of a burning aircraft and handling themselves the way they did was a sight to see. They're definitely the most "military" out of the branches and get shit done.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Luckily that wasn't true for the AF. I was living in a 1400 sq. ft. apartment in Kaiserslautern as an E3 with about 10 months in service :p Yay for $1400 a month OHA and another $600 for utilities + $500 for COLA. I miss living overseas.
Yeah if you're itching to join the service for free* edumacation, pick AF or USCG
wink.png
Avoid the rest!

(so I hear)

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah if you're itching to join the service for free* edumacation, pick AF or USCG
wink.png
Avoid the rest!

(so I hear)
Just be sure to have a good ASVAB - both those services are especially picky these days. If you are below 50 on the test, you are going to have a hard time getting in either of those; the CG won't even talk to you.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
problem with joining the AF is too many ppl wanna join. recruiters hit their annual quotas sometime around january 2nd.

seriously before I came in i visited the recruiter center at the mall near my house and the AF recruiters were never open. ever. not one day. I ended up going navy as a 2nd choice and in the entire 9 months i was in DEP waiting to get in the navy, would see my recruiters maybe once a week or whatever for pt or paperwork or whatever, those faggots were not open even once. I talked to my recruiters about it and they said they only worked 1 day a month.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Out of the many, many first-term enlistment marriages I witnessed, I can only think of one "I'm going to get married to improve my QoL" situation. Most are just dipshit 18-20 year olds who genuinely believe that they're in love, and obviously marriage is not only the proper step forward in the relationship, but every month delayed is tangibly expensive. Contract marriages do happen, but in my experience, it wasn't nearly as common as people liked to make it sound.
Out and out "contract" marriages are rare, but youre kidding yourself if you think guys arent getting married much more often just to get out of the barracks and collect bah than because they found a girl they love. Youre paycheck literally doubles and then some if youre stationed in a place like southern california. Though while in I did come across the definition of a contract marriage, to a guy I worked with no less. What was really annoying about that guy was that he was living in the barracks somehow, while married.

I will say I've a new found respect for the Marines after being part of the Osprey crash on the 17th. Seeing wounded pulling wounded off of a burning aircraft and handling themselves the way they did was a sight to see. They're definitely the most "military" out of the branches and get shit done.
Whoa bro, what were you doing there?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Out and out "contract" marriages are rare, but youre kidding yourself if you think guys arent getting married much more often just to get out of the barracks and collect bah than because they found a girl they love. Youre paycheck literally doubles and then some if youre stationed in a place like southern california. Though while in I did come across the definition of a contract marriage, to a guy I worked with no less. What was really annoying about that guy was that he was living in the barracks somehow, while married.

Whoa bro, what were you doing there?
I wonder if soon dudes will marry random dudes just for that sweet sweet BAH. BAH being Basic Allowance for Housing of course, and not Backside Ass Hatch
/apologize