Miniature Painting

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
For assembled minis that have multiple build options, is it possible to leave the optional parts swappable in some way, or do you pretty much have to set it in stone and glue them?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Magnetizing or pinning options is very common especially amongst tournament players. No reason to buy six of an $80 kit when you can just dry-fit the weapon turret

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Ah, I've seen some folks do this with some Zoids models that have multiple armor sets. Would have thought minis would be too small, but apparently not! Husband just picked up Star Wars Legion for us to play, so I think I'll give it a shot with some of the commander expansions for that, since they're not horribly expensive if I fuck it up.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ah, I've seen some folks do this with some Zoids models that have multiple armor sets. Would have thought minis would be too small, but apparently not! Husband just picked up Star Wars Legion for us to play, so I think I'll give it a shot with some of the commander expansions for that, since they're not horribly expensive if I fuck it up.
Magnet baron sells lots of magnets if you need a place, decent price considering they are n52.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I suggest not getting neodynium magnets, they are too strong.

The magnet has to be stronger than gravity and the kinetic motion of you moving it, but weaker than the strength of the glue.

When I used them they pulled out of the glue.

Now I'm just gluing the weapons in, it's probably army dependant but it's pretty clear to me which option I should be taking for each unit.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I suggest not getting neodynium magnets, they are too strong.

The magnet has to be stronger than gravity and the kinetic motion of you moving it, but weaker than the strength of the glue.

When I used them they pulled out of the glue.

Now I'm just gluing the weapons in, it's probably army dependant but it's pretty clear to me which option I should be taking for each unit.
First off you can't use bad super glue. Secondly, you have to size magnets appropriately. Neodymium magnets allow you to reduce the size of the magnet to accomplish the same attractive force. Hence for miniatures it's the best solution. You can use extremely thin .7mm wafers to attach infantry guns and stuff like that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Magnetizing or pinning options is very common especially amongst tournament players. No reason to buy six of an $80 kit when you can just dry-fit the weapon turret

Some of the twin linked weapons like double heavy bolters on my repulsor were a pain in the ass even with the smallest magnets I could find interfering with each other.

Swapping out weps on my old terminator chaplain was amazing though. Never know when points changes are coming to weapons or kits and have to switch. Must feel awful being the dude going "uhhhh so that's not a plasma pistol anymore" like I've seen happen.

Downside is it adds time to something that takes a ton of time already, at least for me.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Another option for the models where the weapon options are an entire arm, like old terminators, is to just choose whatever option you want right now, and super-glue that arm on instead of using plastic glue. Then when you want to change arms later you can just pop the little dude into your freezer for 20-30minutes and the superglue will turn brittle and you can snap the arm right off. Then wait for the model to warm back up to room temp and super glue a new weapon arm on.

• 2Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I live in a small backwater village and as I mentioned earlier some younglings opened a board game store a stone throw away from my house. Now I see these pictures on their Facebook, seems like a sign that I need to get back to the hobby for real. Being able to buy paint and stuff next door instead of ordering and waiting 2-3 days is huge. I do hope they can stay afloat and make it profitable.

Skärmbild 2024-01-24 173736.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I live in a small backwater village and as I mentioned earlier some younglings opened a board game store a stone throw away from my house. Now I see these pictures on their Facebook, seems like a sign that I need to get back to the hobby for real. Being able to buy paint and stuff next door instead of ordering and waiting 2-3 days is huge. I do hope they can stay afloat and make it profitable.

View attachment 510825
Supporting your FLGS is basically a requirement.

Also you can make some great friends at those. Or reviled enemies.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Bought some Titanium White paint from a regular art store because I want white plasma coils on my Plasma Pistols.

Jesus Christ, seeing it next to Corax White makes Corax White look like dark grey.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Can’t remember if it was linked here, but put together the bucket filter system for my spray booth. Not gonna have any windows to vent through in the basement, so this will hopefully give me little more peace of mind. Have any of you done this and does it actually work well or is this dude off his rocker?

IMG_7691.jpeg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Can’t remember if it was linked here, but put together the bucket filter system for my spray booth. Not gonna have any windows to vent through in the basement, so this will hopefully give me little more peace of mind. Have any of you done this and does it actually work well or is this dude off his rocker?

View attachment 512749

IMO it's probably pointless. Acrylic will dry before passing the first filter so you're only maybe collecting a bit of particulate. VOCs need real air filtration with carbon and all that. IMO if you want to be more safe, get a HEPA purifier and an air quality meter. I think it's a false sense of security, I'd end up having Legionnaire's Disease at some point with the water... On the particulate side, I guess you could use it for a while and see if it catches anything. I also would be a bit concerned on reducing airflow since those fans are not high pressure.

All of this goes out the window with solvent based paints though, the only real way to mitigate is to pipe it outside.

• 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Panel lining and liquid skill being applied (maybe a little too much, goddamn, it’s taking a while to dry) to my next project. I need to get some shelves, though, because my desk corner is pretty much full now… Also started work on some terrain for Star Wars Legion, but decided to strip it since I forgot I wanted to try another zenithal prime on it, so it’s bathing in some simple green overnight. Hopefully turns out as well as I hope.

IMG_7695.jpeg
IMG_7696.jpeg

• 3Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm

View attachment 512749
I tried that when I started out airbrushing. I don't think it did much as mentioned earlier most of the paint dry and stick to the first filter. But I think its worth having something to catch the stuff that pass through so you don't get a lot of paint dust buidling up.

I wanted to do clear coats with lacquer so I moved my setup to a window. The paint booth I have is not the best though, I think I need one with stronger fans as a lot of lacquer mist does blow back into my face. A respirator is good to have either way.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Working on a Space Marine Repulsor and it's been pretty difficult with all the sub assemblies, just got the bottom finished so I could glue it all together finally:

20240204_201338.jpg

Need to decide how to paint it now. It's going with my Infernus Marines in my ivory and gold Deathwatch-lite theme, so I'm putting Salamanders transfers on it. Thinking about painting the 3 doors green and the front inner most inset panel and having the transfers there, then the missile tips green as well.

Also pretty happy with the magnetisation to help with transport and turret rotation:

20240204_201424.jpg

Just waiting on my next order of models to get some spare shoulders for the marine as I don't want the techmarine pad he came with.

This is what my other finished vechicles ended up like:

20240128_204115.jpg

• 3Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Had originally painted the sand base already, but decided to strip it so I could prime the two pieces together and see how the shading worked out. No idea if it’ll be noticeable at all after it’s done, but figured I’d try it out. The crashed pod i think came out okay, but I was hoping to keep more of the black in the rocks on the base piece, but I guess my spraying angle was off. Still need a lot of practice with the airbrush.
IMG_7699.jpeg
IMG_7701.jpeg

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Working on a Space Marine Repulsor and it's been pretty difficult with all the sub assemblies, just got the bottom finished so I could glue it all together finally:

View attachment 512896

Need to decide how to paint it now. It's going with my Infernus Marines in my ivory and gold Deathwatch-lite theme, so I'm putting Salamanders transfers on it. Thinking about painting the 3 doors green and the front inner most inset panel and having the transfers there, then the missile tips green as well.

Also pretty happy with the magnetisation to help with transport and turret rotation:

View attachment 512897

Just waiting on my next order of models to get some spare shoulders for the marine as I don't want the techmarine pad he came with.

This is what my other finished vechicles ended up like:

View attachment 512900

Putting the frame together on the repulsor like that final step was a fucking bitch

• 1Solidarity