Miniature Painting

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
What brand of paints are you mainly using seeing as you do this at a really high quality?
ProAcryl is my goto, Citadel for Washes. A few AK for odd colors, and Scale75/Vallejo for Metallics. In general but I have army painter, citadel colors but mostly phase those out.etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
ProAcryl is my goto, Citadel for Washes. A few AK for odd colors, and Scale75/Vallejo for Metallics. In general but I have army painter, citadel colors but mostly phase those out.etc.
Thanks. I went all in on Armypainter when I started. And while its an okay paint it is a bit thick in the bottle and hard to mix. I think they have since remade their formula so it might be better now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks. I went all in on Armypainter when I started. And while its an okay paint it is a bit thick in the bottle and hard to mix. I think they have since remade their formula so it might be better now.
I had a small army painter pack and didn’t like it. I think that’s the brand I opened the bottles and added some water to them and that helped, the tip pops out.

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Guys, I am struggling to get back into painting. I built a desk for a designated paint space, bought an airbrush and booth months ago and I haven't touched it. I really want to get back into painting I am just struggling with starting and what to paint. My grey shame is enormous (enough to keep me busy for a year) and for Father's Day my kids bought me Shatterpoint. I need to up my skills before I tackle Shatterpoint, even though Disney has fucked it up Star Wars is still sacred to me and I don't want to slap a shitty paint job on my favorite thing from my childhood.

Help me with some words of advice, kind or otherwise ;)

• 2Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Guys, I am struggling to get back into painting. I built a desk for a designated paint space, bought an airbrush and booth months ago and I haven't touched it. I really want to get back into painting I am just struggling with starting and what to paint. My grey shame is enormous (enough to keep me busy for a year) and for Father's Day my kids bought me Shatterpoint. I need to up my skills before I tackle Shatterpoint, even though Disney has fucked it up Star Wars is still sacred to me and I don't want to slap a shitty paint job on my favorite thing from my childhood.

Find some models you don't care about for an army but are interesting just paint one at a time. Once you get one that looks pretty good you'll get the confidence to make test minis for your larger forces. If you suck, you just throw it out and pretend it didn't happen and try again.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Motivation doesn’t happen until you start. Just force yourself to start and the ideas and drive starts.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yea I'm in the same place. I really want to sit down and paint and my setup is great in my hobby room upstairs.

However I find myself distracted with playing games instead. Also been a lot of home improvement, both indoors and outdoors. I know I feel great once I start doing it but I always find something else to do.

I have tons of Warhammer and 3d printed stuff to paint. Also stopped the model airplane build after a few weeks so that halfway done.

Not enough time for all the hobbys sadly. :(

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yea I'm in the same place. I really want to sit down and paint and my setup is great in my hobby room upstairs.

However I find myself distracted with playing games instead. Also been a lot of home improvement, both indoors and outdoors. I know I feel great once I start doing it but I always find something else to do.

I have tons of Warhammer and 3d printed stuff to paint. Also stopped the model airplane build after a few weeks so that halfway done.

Not enough time for all the hobbys sadly. :(
Same boat here. Ordered a airbrush holder to try and motivate me to get some backlog taken care of (since it was a pain trying not to spill paint constantly when using it), but I have so few hours and while I want to paint I also really just want to vibe in EQ.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Good news, you don't need to build or paint models anymore!

• 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Good news, you don't need to build or paint models anymore!

No, sir! This small developer might have *gasp* used AI art! How dare you suggest giving them money!

IMG_8227.jpeg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Warr

<Bronze Donator>

What's worked for me this year is a local hobby store started doing Wednesday evening hobby hangouts where you just show up hangout and paint. There's a pretty cool group there including the owner's wife. I make it a commitment to go every week and bring relatively simple projects. I often tell myself that I will do more outside of hobby hangout time, but that's usually a lie. But I still get a minimum 2-3 hours a week that way and don't lose all intertia. A lot of nights at home, I just like to build things more than getting all the paint out and that's progress too.

I forgot to post the last batch of dudes I did. Again, almost all done during those 2-3 hour/week sessions at the game store.

1721181938471.png1721181859064.png1721181921523.png

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
What's worked for me this year is a local hobby store started doing Wednesday evening hobby hangouts where you just show up hangout and paint. There's a pretty cool group there including the owner's wife. I make it a commitment to go every week and bring relatively simple projects. I often tell myself that I will do more outside of hobby hangout time, but that's usually a lie. But I still get a minimum 2-3 hours a week that way and don't lose all intertia. A lot of nights at home, I just like to build things more than getting all the paint out and that's progress too.

I forgot to post the last batch of dudes I did. Again, almost all done during those 2-3 hour/week sessions at the game store.

View attachment 537073View attachment 537071View attachment 537072

My old game store did this, and it's what got me into painting. Wish our new location did. Get me out of the house and try to get me a little bit social.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

View attachment 537073View attachment 537071View attachment 537072
That's pretty cool, and makes total sense to get people interested.

I don't play any of the table top stuff or paint miniatures anymore, but in the fly fishing world, you see something similar at outfitters where they'll do a weekly tying night. Just show up with your vice, tools, and a box of materials, and everybody just hangs around tying flies, BSing over a beer and sharing patterns, etc.

Good way to meet fellow anglers and learn how to get better at your hobby. Always a great time, and folks are always super helpful and friendly.

Definitely more fun when you're hanging around with other enthusiastic people then enjoy the same hobby.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
+1 for Khalan Khalan and the rest of his crew. Was in a pinch and needed something done up for an event in a relatively quick period of time. Also needed it matching some previous commission work I got done. I think transit time to & from Canada was the longest pole in the tent. Thanks again!

1723826920912.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Really excited to unveil this latest project. A band new warband completely painted with display board. About 5 weeks from start until completion. The display board something I decided at the last minute to put it over the top and it was done in just 3 days.

457494283_10212020535265268_7189458833425470303_n.jpg457379711_10212020535785281_3166261061529990317_n.jpg457376095_10212020536305294_8220877321499956780_n.jpg457433819_10212020537505324_1970023617851486333_n.jpg457586150_10212020536585301_1009347321303864279_n.jpg457478807_10212020537105314_689645785162640545_n.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I can post some of my garbage if you want the bar lowered!

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to