SmartSelect_20231124_174856_Instagram.jpg
SmartSelect_20231124_174807_Instagram.jpg

• 9Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 9 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Hitting a little bit of confusion getting my airbrush setup. Husband didn’t realize the stuff he bought didn’t come with a hose. I went out and about and only found one place with one. Naturally, it doesn’t fit, so not sure what all I need to get everything connected.
Compressor is a Timbertech AS-186, brush is a Badger 105 (it seems this at the very least has some proprietary BS that I need an adaptor for), and only hose I could find was an Iwata. The smaller end of the Iwata fits into the compressor, but I’m not sure if that’s the correct end? Do I need another adaptor for hose-compressor in addition to the one for the brush? For some reason, none of this shit seems to have measurements on it.

IMG_7367.jpeg

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hitting a little bit of confusion getting my airbrush setup. Husband didn’t realize the stuff he bought didn’t come with a hose. I went out and about and only found one place with one. Naturally, it doesn’t fit, so not sure what all I need to get everything connected.
Compressor is a Timbertech AS-186, brush is a Badger 105 (it seems this at the very least has some proprietary BS that I need an adaptor for), and only hose I could find was an Iwata. The smaller end of the Iwata fits into the compressor, but I’m not sure if that’s the correct end? Do I need another adaptor for hose-compressor in addition to the one for the brush? For some reason, none of this shit seems to have measurements on it.

View attachment 501951
You should be able to go to that model and figure it out via the connection descriptions.

IMG_2484.jpeg

Palum

what Suineg set it to

View attachment 501951

Hi you need a 1/4" BSP to 1/4" NPT adapter most likely if those are both ends of that cable? Just an FYI it looks like your compressor does not have a tapered connection and has tighter threads, so it looks like BSP. The hose you got has a 1/4" NPT - most likely not NPTT since the o-ring typically is used on non-tapered surfaces.

EDIT: shit that set didn't actually have the right male to female connector. looks like those are expensive brass fittings only.

I'd just get this and return that hose if you can. It has cleaning gear, QDs and a MAC valve which are useful.

Alternatively, you should be able to find a 1/4 NPT male (guessing that is what is on the moisture trap end) to 1/4 NPT male maybe at harbor freight or hardware store? You'd just need to pull that adapter out of the moisture trap and replace it (use teflon).

Last edited:

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Some of the sickest tank conversions I used to see were done by this dude Krooza over on the old ork website the waaaaagh. Man I miss thst site

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to finishing my Shadow Fox from a year ago. The paint pens didn’t do too badly for the little detail work, though not the cleanest job.

Got one project out of the backlog, added two new ones to the backlog.

IMG_7371.jpegIMG_7372.jpegIMG_7373.jpegIMG_7365.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Couple of adapters later and the airbrush is up and running. Picked up the spray booth that was linked, as well. Started off with a plastic spoon and then tried out a zenithol prime on a mini for my husband. Didn’t turn out awful and the brush wasn’t too bad to use. Did notice if the primer stayed there for even a few seconds, it would start to clog up, but pulling back on the trigger for the bigger spray cleared it out.

IMG_7379.jpegIMG_7380.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Couple of adapters later and the airbrush is up and running. Picked up the spray booth that was linked, as well. Started off with a plastic spoon and then tried out a zenithol prime on a mini for my husband. Didn’t turn out awful and the brush wasn’t too bad to use. Did notice if the primer stayed there for even a few seconds, it would start to clog up, but pulling back on the trigger for the bigger spray cleared it out.

View attachment 502253View attachment 502254

What type of primer were you spraying? I found the binders in some 'paint on' types didn't take well to thinning or spraying, but the standard Vallejo stuff which is Acrylic Poly sprays fine for me. Also, airbrushes require a balance of air and paint, and unfortunately, this really differs per paint. The most common problem is not thinning enough and solving consistency with air, which causes even more tip dry and splatter. If you are having to blow off between each spray, you might have to recalibrate your mixtures. I still recommend getting used to starting spray off the piece when you can, but it should be more of a habit for safety thing than a requirement.

Also - I am hoping your airbrush came with some REGDAB needle juice? You should be carefully reapplying a drop on the needle after each cleaning. Stops a lot of tip dry.

If you didn't yet, I recommend eventually picking up a MAC valve so you can run 30 PSI to the brush and fine tune the mixture more easily so you can see the difference1-2 PSI can make.

Looks like a pretty good start if you can get white to cover nicely.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I used the Badger primer, which I think someone else mentioned gunked their brush as well. Also picked up some thinner and some cleaner fluid. Fiddled around a bit with how many drops primer vs. thinner; I'm sure this takes a while to get the hang of and probably harder since I was using a tiny amount of paint since it's a small mini.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I used the Badger primer, which I think someone else mentioned gunked their brush as well. Also picked up some thinner and some cleaner fluid. Fiddled around a bit with how many drops primer vs. thinner; I'm sure this takes a while to get the hang of and probably harder since I was using a tiny amount of paint since it's a small mini.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Decided to move my Miniature paint setup upstairs as well. I find myself needing to brush paint some stuff on the F14 so might as well have it close by. Now everything is gathered. Also got my 3d printing stuff here.

PXL_20231203_174228489.jpg
PXL_20231203_174719051.jpg

• 9Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 9 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
That setup looks amazing dude. But I look at the floor and just think about a small bit rolling between those floorboards. But at thr same te I love those floorboards

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nice setup, but man, I think you need some new wallpaper.
They came with the house! And I've been too lazy to home improve. Will probably get to it eventually. I think just painting the walls some nicer color would be enough. :)

B bigmark268 Yea that is a valid concern... Crowbar will probably be on alert. :eek:

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
assuming you use one of the recommended airbrush booths that exhaust out a window, after time do you end up with any residue on surfaces in the room you are painting in?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
assuming you use one of the recommended airbrush booths that exhaust out a window, after time do you end up with any residue on surfaces in the room you are painting in?
No, and you don't even really need it to exhaust out the window to stop that. Acrylics will dry before it even gets through the filter. I'm not saying you couldn't do things to make a mess, but for the normal hobby uses with fast drying paints you shouldn't have an issue. I put a poster behind it for about 18 months just to test since I didn't want the wall sprinkled and it was completely clean.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Hey all been a while, been super busy with commission work here is some. If anyone is ever interested in getting something done can check out my website Duplicity Paint Studios

10% off first project for all FOH Members :)

AC4C86B4-3473-4C75-9C13-F4E96A36CAFF.jpeg
5420D0A9-EEA1-444E-B46C-00FD9FD8C575.jpeg
EA8C89E3-84D1-4CAE-A2E9-852DE89CB160.jpeg
ACE8DB63-80B2-48ED-8DFD-BE95ABEBC415.jpeg
103A49E4-1CFB-40FE-A2FF-5595F555D54E.jpeg
IMG_5016.jpeg

• 11Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Hey all been a while, been super busy with commission work here is some. If anyone is ever interested in getting something done can check out my website Duplicity Paint Studios

10% off first project for all FOH Members :)

View attachment 503511View attachment 503512View attachment 503513View attachment 503515View attachment 503516View attachment 503510
Those are great! How did you paint the apothecary? Painting my first models tomorrow and that's kinda the colour I'm going for.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Those are great! How did you paint the apothecary? Painting my first models tomorrow and that's kinda the colour I'm going for.
Armour is Proacryl Ivory/Bright Ivory with a bit of golden brown for shading and titanium white for the highlights.