Miniature Painting

Chris

Potato del Grande
Armour is Proacryl Ivory/Bright Ivory with a bit of golden brown for shading and titanium white for the highlights.
Thanks, think I have the Citadel versions of those. GW Employee helped me pick them out I'm worried that they are too brown since I want a clean ivory.

I have Wraithbone (spray and regular), Skeleton Horde (contrast) and Corax White.

Last edited:

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Ditch GW light colors, white is especally trash. Proacryl makes the best paint on the market imo and the creams and whites are top notch.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks, think I have the Citadel versions of those. GW Employee helped me pick them out I'm worried that they are too brown since I want a clean ivory.

I have Wraithbone (spray and regular), Skeleton Horde (contrast) and Corax White.
Did you get started on the painting Chris?

Feel free to share the progress! Just go to the early pages to see some guys here improving really fast.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Did you get started on the painting Chris?

Feel free to share the progress! Just go to the early pages to see some guys here improving really fast.
Have a look at the 40k thread, posted them yesterday! Thanks for asking.

Literally putting the transfers on right now and they are done.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Have a look at the 40k thread, posted them yesterday! Thanks for asking.

Literally putting the transfers on right now and they are done.
That looks really solid! I Never did any transfers on my guys I painted.

Are the GW waterslides good quality or brittle?

Kinda failed a few big ones on my Tamiya F14 build and just ended upp painting the thing grey instead of the carbon fiber slide.

I think I used the decal solution a bit heavy and then went to correct the slide too roughly. Sucks doing curved surfaces.

Chris

Potato del Grande
That looks really solid! I Never did any transfers on my guys I painted.

Are the GW waterslides good quality or brittle?

Kinda failed a few big ones on my Tamiya F14 build and just ended upp painting the thing grey instead of the carbon fiber slide.

I think I used the decal solution a bit heavy and then went to correct the slide too roughly. Sucks doing curved surfaces.
I went to GW and asked for the two decal solutions, gave me Paint Medium + Varnish when I needed Decal Solution + Varnish.

Problem is that most decals are going onto a curved surface so you need the decal stuff to melt them on. After struggling with a few I put a little cut though the radius, which helped.

Anyway they are now done and the transfers are good quality, I was even able to reverse them when I wanted them in the other direction. Problem is that some of them at the wrong colour so I'm painting over them once the varnish is dry.

Hoping to post the results in a few hours!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Front and back:

20231230_204858.jpg

20231230_205124.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Aazrael

Thats more painted in like a week than me in two years. The feeling is not the best!

What paints did you end up using? Citadel?

I went all in on army painter but its really not the best brand. Thick as hell in the bottle so hard to mix them if they separate, not even an electric lab shaker thing helped.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thanks guys. Felt hard to follow through at times, but I have two weeks off work so got through it.

The Imperial Fists splash colour goes REALLY well with the colour scheme, super happy with the terminators. Who would have thought that yellow goes with gold!

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Thats more painted in like a week than me in two years. The feeling is not the best!

I went all in on army painter but its really not the best brand. Thick as hell in the bottle so hard to mix them if they separate, not even an electric lab shaker thing helped.
Best Brands imo:
All round: Proacryl
Metallics: Scale 75
Washes/Inks : Citadel/Army Painter

AK is decent too. As is the new Vallejo Game Color (Not old one)

The new army painter fanatic line looks good tho

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande

I just went Citadel everything because while other brands cost less, there's shipping costs and my wife orders enough shit that my poor next door neighbour has to accept for us.

• 1Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Looking good, how are you photographing then?

Also what's that chapter, it's a great colour scheme.
Just my iphone 13 lol. Chapter is soul drinkers. Simple overhead White light + A direct light in front.

herre is my setup: I use the overhead mostly, and bring in the side white swinging light (below right monitor) for photos or when I need extra light.
IMG_2854.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Relaxing and inspiring

Amazing how people can make it look like something that jumped off the page of a premium comic. I think you're born with the potential to get there or you aren't.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Amazing how people can make it look like something that jumped off the page of a premium comic. I think you're born with the potential to get there or you aren't.
Yeah, some part of it has to be innate. I think if I practiced again I still wouldn't be able to do what he does. But, it does make me want to get back into it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Got my three Outriders and ATV done:
20240107_214315.jpg

20240107_214533.jpg

Also included one of each of the other models to show the theme.

16 Raven Guard guys to paint now...

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users