Miscellaneous Reality TV

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the new season of Ghost Adventures starts tonight. its a guilty pleasure, i dont believe in ghosts, but these tools pissing their pants over random noises cracks me up.

also this week the new season of Hotel Impossible tuesday 9pm. bald dude cracks me up, he goes into hotels and starts breaking shit up and telling the owners their hotel is a dump.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're the worst for supporting this awful shit with the lame excuses. Own up to being entertained by shitty shows because you have shitty taste and move on, don't make excuses.

Fast and Loud has been much better this season than last. I was about to bail on the show, every episode was turning in to a shitty sketch show with about 15 minutes spent on the actual car stuff(buying, selling, building). I guess I wasn't the only one, they've been pretty heavily about the business again and less about the shitty imaginary "reality" part.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its not excuses, ghost adventures and hotel impossible is entertaining, i just dont believe in ghosts. i also watch that bigfoot show even though i think bigfoot is a myth. shit is fun. i stopped watching fast and loud a few seasons ago. the show got too silly.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm convinced that I could cook better than half the contestants on Hell's Kitchen. Not because I'm a good cook, but rather they fill half the show's roster with scrub drama bait, and the other half withpotentiallydecent cooks. Anyways, Top Chef is where it's at.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm convinced that I could cook better than half the contestants on Hell's Kitchen. Not because I'm a good cook, but rather they fill half the show's roster with scrub drama bait, and the other half withpotentiallydecent cooks. Anyways, Top Chef is where it's at.
I've seen a few interviews with past contestants, they basically grill them to the gills, the producers know exactly what they're looking for, not too great, somewhat knowledgable (Asian food, i've never eaten asian food before!)

I don't know why i've never gotten into top chef, just a show my wife and i do not like (and we watch 80% of all reality competition), i've even eaten at two restaurants opened by 2 top chefs. (back in PA we had foodie friends)

Whats fast and loud? is that like American Chopper?

Ganthorn

N00b
I'm convinced that I could cook better than half the contestants on Hell's Kitchen. Not because I'm a good cook, but rather they fill half the show's roster with scrub drama bait, and the other half withpotentiallydecent cooks.
Also they purposefully give them shit for sleep and run them into the ground which makes them make a lot more mistakes. I believe they film it back to back to back over the course of like a week and a half and they do shit like they go to sleep at midnight and then they wake them up at 5:30 with a fire truck siren and make them chase farm animals lol. If they didn't run them into the ground there wouldn't be nearly as many basic mistakes for him to scream DONKEY! and smash the raw fish.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I've seen a few interviews with past contestants, they basically grill them to the gills, the producers know exactly what they're looking for, not too great, somewhat knowledgable (Asian food, i've never eaten asian food before!)

I don't know why i've never gotten into top chef, just a show my wife and i do not like (and we watch 80% of all reality competition), i've even eaten at two restaurants opened by 2 top chefs. (back in PA we had foodie friends)

Whats fast and loud? is that like American Chopper?
i never watched american chopper, but Fast n Loud is a car restoration+flip the finished product show. the hook is the mechanics and the owner act whacky. there is also an elderly asian lady who yells at them because they are always trying to get a ton of work out of her for cheap. sometimes the owner of the "gas monkey" garage will take his restored car(s) to auto auctions and he usually loses his ass. its been years since i watched so maybe he hits home runs now.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
new season of bar rescue tonight at 9pm. also that adam carolla show, to catch a contractor. bar rescue is fun. too many damned commercials though.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had hopes for Catch a Contractor but it's not nearly enough Adam being funny and way too much drama and the contractor guy acting like a hardass. Carolla had a show a few years back(The Adam Carolla Project) where he bought his dad's old house and renovated to with some friends to re-sell it, and I really liked it. I wish it had caught on.

Reminds me though, DIY has a show calledSledgehammer. Some contractor host guy surprises a couple who thinks they're auditioning for another show. They get 30 minutes to demolish whatever rooms they hate(mostly with sledgehammers) and any that they completely finish in time the show will rebuild way better for them. Any that they don't finish they are on their own. It's only a half hour show, they spend like 12 minutes on demolition and 18 on the renovation. It's pretty interesting for both parts. The reno part he has them helping and he explains a lot of the fairly novel materials they use. And the demolition is fun stuff, especially when some idiot couple takes 27 minutes to destroy a room and decide they can do a whole bathroom/kitchen in the remaining 3 minutes. It's a decent little show.

When Fast n Loud focuses on the flipping cars part and the building/selling/buying part it's pretty good. When it gets in to the extraneous shit and skits it's horrible. The only outside thing I liked was in the last two episodes, Aaron the mechanic finished his own car and took it to do the Pike's Peak hill climb. It was good because it was just him being really passionate about it and there was minimal goofy personality bullshit. It's never really been like American Chopper though, where it'sallabout the people and their drama.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Also they purposefully give them shit for sleep and run them into the ground which makes them make a lot more mistakes. I believe they film it back to back to back over the course of like a week and a half and they do shit like they go to sleep at midnight and then they wake them up at 5:30 with a fire truck siren and make them chase farm animals lol. If they didn't run them into the ground there wouldn't be nearly as many basic mistakes for him to scream DONKEY! and smash the raw fish.
Yeah, it's a combination of casting + production "magic." A typical Hell's Kitchen season has 2 - 3 chef's (anywhere from sous to executive) and a few more line cooks. This half of the cast can do just fine in that kitchen under normal circumstances, but they have to deal with the really fucked up hours, the half of the cast that can't cook (don't underestimate this part), and the pressure of the whole situation. Not to mention Ramsay in your shit and the fact that they are given no time to really learn the menu. Ramsay himself would have fuck ups under these circumstances.

Try opening ANY restaurant with a fine dining menu that the brigade of cooks (all complete strangers to each other) has never seen and in a kitchen none of them have ever worked in and you'll have similar results.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I went to Ramsey's in NY a few years back w/ wife and a couple, bill came out to 1 grand or so, i'm pretty sure we got the 250 ea. tasting menu. It sucked, quality was out of whack and most stuff just tasted, "ok". We get a tour of the kitchen, the server says ramsey only comes once a year, but the glaring part is, i was in the aryan nation. They all looked like they could be on sons of anarchy fighting for white power, thats why my food was shit, I guess these cooks just got out of culinary school, or jail culinary, idk.

I watched the adam corrolla contractor thing 2x. I gave up when I saw one episode and it was actually cuz of crazy home owners, and no fault of the contractor. Yet they still finished the house and paid for that shit, no scruples.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i saw a few first episodes of the contractor show last year. . it passed the time, but it looked horribly scripted. i mean if the bad contractor told them to fuck off and drove away and not completed any work, there really wouldnt be shit they could do about it other than sue and probably win a settlement 3 years later. i know carrolla has a following so i brought it up.
Bar Rescue had me scratching my head tonight. they wanted to turn the bad bar around by making it into a speak easy. in fact they went so far to give it a false front that said Ps and Qs Automotive with nothing that would indicate that it was actually a bar (other than Ps and Qs which means pints and quarts, but probably not everyone knows that), it even had a garage door opening. so they are hoping to bring new business to a bar by hiding the fact that its a bar. wtf?

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
I went to Ramsey's in NY a few years back w/ wife and a couple, bill came out to 1 grand or so, i'm pretty sure we got the 250 ea. tasting menu. It sucked, quality was out of whack and most stuff just tasted, "ok". We get a tour of the kitchen, the server says ramsey only comes once a year, but the glaring part is, i was in the aryan nation. They all looked like they could be on sons of anarchy fighting for white power, thats why my food was shit, I guess these cooks just got out of culinary school, or jail culinary, idk.

I watched the adam corrolla contractor thing 2x. I gave up when I saw one episode and it was actually cuz of crazy home owners, and no fault of the contractor. Yet they still finished the house and paid for that shit, no scruples.
If a line cook is white the odds are that he's covered in tats, has several piercings and is high and/or coming down off of several things. Very few white line cooks break this mold, and most culinary students are white, so if they were hiring recent grads then it's not very surprising that this is what you saw. It's also unsurprising that the food wasn't very good as culinary grads with little to no experience in a restaurant are shitty cooks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ghost Adventures is one of my favorite shows
frown.png
I even have a t-shirt and poster hanging in one of our rooms
frown.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dancing with the Stars

The only time i'll ever watch this show

man the "pro" dancer, is horrible compared to Carlton, but, it is his dance, still you'd think a pro could mimic better.

Ganthorn

N00b
Dancing with the Stars

The only time i'll ever watch this show

man the "pro" dancer, is horrible compared to Carlton, but, it is his dance, still you'd think a pro could mimic better.
That put a huge stupid grin on my face. Ahh nostalgia.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'll admit that the two reality shows I watch are America's Got Talent and So You Think You Can Dance. It is amusing to me that it seems a high percentage of "pro" dancers on Dancing With The Stars came from SYTYCD. I guess there aren't too many options for dancers if you don't want to be a backup dancer or part of some large ensemble Broadway thing I guess.

And in her defense, there ain't nobody that can Carlton like Carlton. She did a lot better than most, I'd think. And in the "this might make me gay" arena, I know that ballroom is her specialty, not jazz/Carlton
frown.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Actually "what to do with SYTYCD alumni" is the problem with SYTYCD. Most of them become choreographers for SYTYCD, of course since they're alums most of their horrible choreo gets unadultered praise from nigel and the mary, even tho it sucks.

at least they got rid of tabitha and napoleon, that couple was pathetic for hip hop choreo, I'd watch SYTYCD tryouts and that's really the best hip hop you'll get. Then those bastards tabitha and napolean would get their pathetic hands on the dancers and give them this horrible hip hop routine.

I mean they probably have one good routine, with alex wong, the super asian ballet dancer and twitch, but both of them are super talented anyway to begin with, more to do with shear raw talent than their choreo.

Yea i hate SYTYCD, it's really hard to finish these latest seasons, all the choreo is just so bad or the dancers are, i can't tell at this point, but everything just sucks, especially when they had that "tap" movement where like they tried so hard to shoe horn in 5 tappers, tap sucks, tap should die in a fire.

SYTYCD is so bad now, the best dancer from last season is the asian guy who won AGT, that's how bad SYTYCD is.

Oh and yes, i can only justify it, that i watch with the wife, she basically shares the same sentiments. But i'd never watch DWTS, man thats like bottom feed dancing.