MLB 2024: Rangers Conquer Texas, Then America

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sounds like the Hololive night went well aside from a super long line for merch

Yeah that's what I was referring to when I asked if anyone was at the game that night. And it wasn't just a super long line, it was apparently over a mile long because the morons at the stadium didn't even come close to anticipating the demand and only had a single tent selling merch. Most of the people in line never even got any either and were eventually told to vacate the premises by cops.

I really wanted to give some shit to Dodgers fans for being indebted to a vtuber for breaking the losing streak they were on because they were down until Gura sang during the 7th inning stretch and then out came Will Smith to hit his third homer of the night (one for each Hololive girl).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Pro tip: you can use empty souvenir food helmets from ballparks to create makeshift planters

IMG_3577.jpeg

IMG_3576.jpeg

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
IMG_3582.jpeg

I’m fucking telling you: throwing Bauer under the bus has been a baseball curse for the Dodgers, our pitching has been snakebit since 2021

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
More and more, Dodgers starting pitching is looking like a paper tiger
Yup. Writeup today on ESPN in the Power Rankings. Dodgers are in real trouble if they can't get healthy.

Tyler Glasnow was selected to his first All-Star team on Sunday. Two days later, lingering tightness in his lower back forced him to the IL, where he joined a who's who of Dodgers starters on the shelf -- Walker Buehler, Clayton Kershaw, Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Emmet Sheehan, Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin. The Dodgers have a starting pitching problem. A pretty big one, actually. They're now counting on four rookies and one James Paxton to make up their rotation. And one of those rookies, Bobby Miller, allowed 19 runs in 17⅓ innings after returning from a shoulder injury and was optioned to the minor leagues on Tuesday. So, yes, the Dodgers will need rotation help before the trade deadline.

• 1Solidarity

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Now do the Lord's work and get Seager in the game.

Edit: They did not do the Lord's work.
Reality is all star voting is a popularity contest and this year the Rangers have underperformed against expectations which means not in the media spotlight, which means not at front of mind and not as well voted.

The manual selections are limited. It's nice to get Simian in as a starter. I'll take that.

I'm more concerned about them being able to light a fire under their asses and handle business post all-star break. I was encouraged by the Max Scherzer interview where when asked if he'd waive his no trade clause to be moved he said "No, we're going to win here." At least coming back from his injury he seems to have some drive.

Biggest problem the Rangers have on the horizon is what I'd call "a good problem to have" and that being the Josh conundrum. You have a good Josh who is going to come off IR at some point and will need/deserve a spot in the lineup, but you have a Josh filling in for him who is arguably the best offensive weapon on the team right now.... Where does that Josh go?

• 1Picard

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Reality is all star voting is a popularity contest and this year the Rangers have underperformed against expectations which means not in the media spotlight, which means not at front of mind and not as well voted.

The manual selections are limited. It's nice to get Simian in as a starter. I'll take that.

I'm more concerned about them being able to light a fire under their asses and handle business post all-star break. I was encouraged by the Max Scherzer interview where when asked if he'd waive his no trade clause to be moved he said "No, we're going to win here." At least coming back from his injury he seems to have some drive.

Biggest problem the Rangers have on the horizon is what I'd call "a good problem to have" and that being the Josh conundrum. You have a good Josh who is going to come off IR at some point and will need/deserve a spot in the lineup, but you have a Josh filling in for him who is arguably the best offensive weapon on the team right now.... Where does that Josh go?
Yeah, this team has surprisingly really, really underperformed on offense. The worry was starting pitching, and that has been more than fine. With Jung and Carter eventually returning, Wyatt getting more at-bats, and surely Semien & Garcia figuring it out - this offense really should "wake-up".

At-bats are going to get real thin if they ever get Jung & Carter back. I'm guessing they'll have to rotate the left-side of the infield through the DH slot quite a bit. The outfield also has 4 starter quality bats, and one really, excellent backup in Janikowski. When does Chris Young finally make an outfield trade of either Taveras or Garcia - Garcia would be painful to watch leave and would have to be for a good young arm.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer

Rangers got hot at the right time last season. Credit to them, but that also means they overachieved in the most maximum way.

Normal season attrition has caught them this season.

However, Josh Smith has been an unexpected productive player for them, and my fantasy team.

We will see how long it lasts.

Muurloen

Yeah, this team has surprisingly really, really underperformed on offense. The worry was starting pitching, and that has been more than fine. With Jung and Carter eventually returning, Wyatt getting more at-bats, and surely Semien & Garcia figuring it out - this offense really should "wake-up".

At-bats are going to get real thin if they ever get Jung & Carter back. I'm guessing they'll have to rotate the left-side of the infield through the DH slot quite a bit. The outfield also has 4 starter quality bats, and one really, excellent backup in Janikowski. When does Chris Young finally make an outfield trade of either Taveras or Garcia - Garcia would be painful to watch leave and would have to be for a good young arm.
Reading a lot of ifs in that.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Rangers got hot at the right time last season. Credit to them, but that also means they overachieved in the most maximum way.

Normal season attrition has caught them this season.

However, Josh Smith has been an unexpected productive player for them, and my fantasy team.

We will see how long it lasts.
The Rangers massively underperformed last season according to expected win-loss metrics and run-differential thanks to their historically bad bullpen. That team should've won 98+ games. "Normal season attrition" has not caught the Rangers - they knew they were going to be completely wrecked by injuries to start the first half. It was always going to be, "can they survive not having 3 of their top 5 arms". Now, the Rangers' offense has been horse-shit, but the starting pitching has been much better than expected.

1720848237054.png

It's over. Houston is never winning another title. They're going to lose Bregman and Tucker in short order, and it's finished. You guys lost the most important series ever between the two franchises - I know it hurts.

Muurloen

The Rangers massively underperformed last season according to expected win-loss metrics and run-differential thanks to their historically bad bullpen. That team should've won 98+ games. "Normal season attrition" has not caught the Rangers - they knew they were going to be completely wrecked by injuries to start the first half. It was always going to be, "can they survive not having 3 of their top 5 arms". Now, the Rangers' offense has been horse-shit, but the starting pitching has been much better than expected.

View attachment 536367

It's over. Houston is never winning another title. They're going to lose Bregman and Tucker in short order, and it's finished. You guys lost the most important series ever between the two franchises - I know it hurts.
1st curious where this screen shot comes from so I can get better context.

2nd your team overachieved that why it isn't able to sustain the high level of play that the Astros have had for 9 years after coming off of a ws win.

Expected wins and runs are great and all, but the games need to be played. Expected is all woulda coulda shoulda and should be left at that.

I think right now in my big money league I am a a half dozen games underperformed this season with significant injuries to Acuna, Albies, Casas, Contreras, M. Kelly, Schwarber, T. Turner and Luzardo. Not to mention using a 26 man roster slot waiting for James Wood to get the call. But I will make due.

As far as your prediction of the Astros demise. Wake the fuck up and see that there are more emerging players out of the Astros system and are contributing not only last year but this year as well.

Bregman will not be missed. Tucker will hurt, but Loperfino is already performing quite well to fully taken over a corner OF position.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
1st curious where this screen shot comes from so I can get better context.

2nd your team overachieved that why it isn't able to sustain the high level of play that the Astros have had for 9 years after coming off of a ws win.

Expected wins and runs are great and all, but the games need to be played. Expected is all woulda coulda shoulda and should be left at that.

I think right now in my big money league I am a a half dozen games underperformed this season with significant injuries to Acuna, Albies, Casas, Contreras, M. Kelly, Schwarber, T. Turner and Luzardo. Not to mention using a 26 man roster slot waiting for James Wood to get the call. But I will make due.

As far as your prediction of the Astros demise. Wake the fuck up and see that there are more emerging players out of the Astros system and are contributing not only last year but this year as well.

Bregman will not be missed. Tucker will hurt, but Loperfino is already performing quite well to fully taken over a corner OF position.
It was a solid run, with a lot of luck to get off on such a massive cheating scandal with almost no penalty - but this talent that is "coming up" through the system is not top-flight talent like the previous rebuild was. I'm sure they'll find productive players, but they won't be as talented of a team going forward. Doesn't mean they'll be "bad". That org does do a really good job of identifying underrated talent.

On another note, generally players can hit velocity but this Rangers team struggles mightly against any sort of velocity but can hit breaking pitches, which is certainly not the norm.