MMA Thread

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watching the Holly Holm title fight in Legacy. She's kicking/punching the shit out of this opponent. All I can keep thinking is if she tried these kicks and was this aggressive against Ronda Rousey she'd lose the fight in about 30 seconds. Unless she's got some super elite secret grappling she hasn't shown(no need against these cans) she'd stand zero chance against Ronda with her game. Side kick to the stomach? She'd be on her ass instantly.

I still want to see the fight, but I just can't imagine Ronda letter her tee off like this. She's got, by far, the best kicks in women's MMA. But unless Rousey is a fucking idiot I don't see how she can use those on her effectively.This is in the 5th round.Can any of you see a striking fight with Ronda going that long without her taking Holm down and leaving the arena with her arm in tow?

edit: Oh and they kept calling her the greatest female boxer ever. A primeLucia Rijkerwould have murdered her. God I wish she was 20 years younger, if she'd jumped in to MMA right now at 26 she'd steamroll everyone.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is the UFC adding a 145 women's division? Carano struggled to make that weight, she's not going to hit 135 reliably. 145 would allow them to bring in Gina and Cyborg both, though that might scare Gina off honestly. I think she's just looking for a payday fight with Rousey. Still, 145 has Marloes Coenen and Julia Budd too. It's not like it's much shallower than the 135 division was when they started it, or 125 is right now.

edit: I thought they were adding 125, they are jumping right to 115. Great decision, much deeper than 125 is. And you'll get some of the best 125ers dropping down.

Though it's still women's MMA so it's basically like watching tiny amateur men fighting.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Though it's still women's MMA so it's basically like watching tiny amateur men fighting.
Haha, that seriously made me chuckle.

If you read that article I can't help but wonder if Rousey is willing to fight her at a higher weight based solely on this comment here.
"I think given everything that she's done for the sport and the pioneer that she is, I think she deserves a title shot any time," added Rousey. "There are exceptions that I would make for Gina that I wouldn't for anyone else."
Although if it is a title fight it isn't like they could fight at a higher weight class, so who knows what she is referring to. So really I don't know what the plan is. Unless Gina has been doing some serious dieting (highly doubt it) I don't know how she thinks she would fight at 135.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Wtf are you guys talking about? Ronda Rousey is the best judoka in the history of judo. At least that's what Rogan and Goldberg tell me every 5 fucking minutes.

Goatface

watching "best of WEC" on foxsports1, Rob McCullough vs Donald Cerrone,
On the front part of Rob'sshorts are 3 ads for Guns America comand they are have a huge blur covering them. they are also showing most of the fight from the camera behind Rob, very different from thetape(bad)
think it is the first time i every noticed this being done on a fighter.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Matt Brown did an AMA

I am Matt Brown... AMA : MMA

I really want to talk myself in to him as a real title contender. He's awesome and probably my favorite fighter right now because he forces every fight to be exciting. I just don't see him having the skill to do it. But hey, he's got a good gas tank now and anything can happen.

I mention the gas tank because someone linked a TUF clip and it reminded me how gassed he got there.

BTW his next fight is Erick Silva. If one of them doesn't get an Of The Night bonus I'll be shocked.

edit: Reading through and I absolutely love some of his answers. If you weren't a fan before you should be now. Though if you weren't a fan before it's because you're related to Pete Sell or you're an asshole.

Most of them are serious and thoughtful, but a few were more lighthearted.

Some faves

Q: Lately though it seems like you get mentioned more with regards to controversial comments about other fighters, wmma, etc, instead of your own accomplishments or more positive things. Do you feel like you've had to make waves and get involved with shit talking just in order to get recognition in spite of your excellent performances?

A:I just say what's on my mind. Some people don't like to hear that. I think it was Cersie from GoT that said "If you try to please everyone you'll end up the most popular dead person in town"

Q: You are picked to fight Semmy Schilt. What is your strategy?

A:Buy a really really good mouthpiece

Q: Hey Matt, how did you get the nickname The Immortal and how do you plan on negating Erick Silva's ground game?

A:I got the nickname because it is tattooed on my stomach

By ko'ing him

Fedor

<Banned>
Chael+Sonnen+Takes+Down+Wanderlei+Silva+in+TUF+Brazil+3.gif

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Jake Shields was released from the UFC yesterday, and apparently some people are actually surprised/upset about it. Not really sure why they would be though. The guy has gone 4-3-1 in the UFC, and hasn't looked great in any of those fights. I am sure his pay was a big high for a guy that was completely average in the WW division.

Goatface

it sorta surprised me, really didn't care for his fights, but he still should have been in top 10. couple sites have said he was getting $120k per.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Sure, he was probably still a top 10 fighter. However, he was never going to hold the title again and people aren't paying to see him fight because he is boring as fuck to watch. So for his price tag it just didn't make any sense to keep him around.