MMA Thread

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I really can't get behind this either. I am excited to see GSP back, and see what he will be able to do. However, he in no way is deserving of a title shot right away, especially in a division he has never fought before.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
IMO being undefeated for a decade gives you a bit of pull...
Last fight he loss was 2007.
2004 was the previous loss to Matt Hughes.
dude was the undefeated champ for 7 years and retired as the champ

not to mention the king kong size PPV draw this will be.

Nester

Vyemm Raider

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They probably want to squeeze one fight out of GSP before feeding him to Yoel.

Bingo. One fight to make him champ against a beatable opponent and then hype for days before he rides off in to the sunset on his shield. Or whatever is left of him after he goes through Soldier of God's digestive tract.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Don't forget he has a 33 round streak on all 3 judges scorecards. He was the Mayweather of MMA.

He is also a former P4P. This fight absolutely makes sense.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't know, but Tim Kennedy was carrying a ridiculous amount of mass for that division too.

Seems to be just a structural thing that allows it. Some guys have the right weight distribution to fight at the best weight class possible for them.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know, but Tim Kennedy was carrying a ridiculous amount of mass for that division too.

Seems to be just a structural thing that allows it. Some guys have the right weight distribution to fight at the best weight class possible for them.

The honky is a lightweight...

xlj4eZg.jpg

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
GSP at middleweight talk was always funny.

As mentioned, there are huge variations in size and height and muscularity in that division. I think you could argue welterweight to middleweight is the biggest leap a fighter can make (Lets face it, a lot of LHW could probably best Cain and JDS). USADA was able to shrink some guys up like Weidman and Vitor-- but Yoel really is the soldier of god.

I haven't checked Rockhold out since July 2016 too much, but I'm sure he's shrunk a bit as well. Not nearly enough for GSP to compete in that division.

Last edited:

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Apparently Khabib is at the hospital. "His involvement in tomorrow's card is in doubt." Per Ariel Helwani.

He's got 31 minutes to weigh-in.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
read on twitter they had to end up giving him IV fluids so even if he fights and wins hes not eligible to fight for the title