Monster Hunter: World

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pendants are just cosmetic. You're going to want to unlock the palico gadgets for sure. The ladybug set palico weapon is the paralyze one and it is great because only like 2 of the palico weapons actually do something.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Google how to get all your boosters/mantles if you havent already. Some of them are pretty awesome and will save your ass (temporal for example). Also palico gadgets, the coral orchestra gadget is pretty awesome for giving earplugs/stun resist songs (if the assholes decide to play it). Putting a sleep/paralyze weapon your kitty can help too.

I have the Coral gadget and a paralyze weapon on the kitty.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have been upgrading the default Defender armor which just has the 2 gem slots. It's a rarity 6 armor and I seemingly can't craft better stats but should I look to craft for better bonuses?

I cleared out all the optional LR quests and may do the HR quests tonight instead of Kushala for more mats. Like I've been saying I've gotten to this point without having to really consider what I was doing or why as far as gear.
Drop the Defender armor once you're past Xeno, and get yourself some Elder Dragon armor. You just need enough Defense to survive vs. Beotodus, and Hornetaur materials to get a much much much better armor set early on in IB. The Defender weapon will last a bit longer, maybe to MR3 before you really need to get an upgraded weapon. Maybe focus on getting the Rathian / Nergi weapon trees fully done before IB drops.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So can anyone explain this game to me for someone that never touched a monster hunter game before? If this is coming to PC I might have a look at it.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So can anyone explain this game to me for someone that never touched a monster hunter game before? If this is coming to PC I might have a look at it.

Hunt dinosaurs with complex and addictive gameplay. Very deep mechanics, build possibilities, 14 different, "classes" if you will.

Hunt for mats and loot MMO style. Up to 4 man groups. Raids w/12 people. Loads of extra content. Free content released periodically in the form of new monsters, cosmetics and so on.

Microtransactions emotes and icons only.

It's awesome.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Its already on PC with the expansion launching tomorrow. Kill monsters, get parts, make gear, fight harder monsters, repeat.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Can't stress enough mkopec mkopec that each weapon is essentially it's own class and they all have subclasses/off meta classes in terms of builds you can do. There's comfort ones, high risk high reward ones, support ones and so on. It's cool as fuck.

I'm 700 hours deep and I've only really used Hammer, Lance, Heavy Bowgun/Light Bowgun, Longsword and a little Charge Blade.

I am just getting a bunch of builds together and slowly getting them to top form now.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is there matchmaking for these activities/monsters or is it form your own group type shit?

There is matchmaking via SOS flares and just searching for gathering hubs that are open to anyone. I use them all the time on PS4. But I also find groups on the MHW discord server. Since the boys here Hatorade Hatorade Janx Janx @a_skeleton_00 are all starting up PC soon you can dive in with them as much as you'd like.

Doing shit solo is also really satisfying as you go from getting wiped on a monster to killing his bitch ass in 8 minutes or less.

The game is certainly super deep and overwhelming at first though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So how do the rewards work between solo/group? Is this one of those games that punishes solo play with shit tier rewards because you dont wanna play with Timmy?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So how do the rewards work between solo/group? Is this one of those games that punishes solo play with shit tier rewards because you dont wanna play with Timmy?
No, in many respects it is actually harder in groups. Same rewards.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Generally speaking Monsters have two difficulties regardless of the, "level" of monster you're fighting. Single or Multiplayer. So monsters are easier solo as their movesets can be more predictable and they have less health but having Timmy with you can help you just because he can do dumb shit and distract it for you. But you also run the risk of Timmny dying and reducing your rewards. Most quests let you die 3 times before you fail but the harder quests have 2 or 1 (can't die, etc), time limits.

It's always faster and easier solo once you learn a monster. But group hunts are fun as hell.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So how does this control in PC, is it set up like a shooter with minimal skills?Or is it like wow with hot bars filled with skills and shit you need to perform.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Think Dark Souls or some other Action game. If you haven't played any of those not sure how to describe it. I would def use a controller to play it but some people in here are all about using MKB to play.

There are not skills per weapon but there are movesets and things like charge ups. Skills in this game are passive bonuses but many can totally change the way you play.

A lot of it is about preparation. The right skills, the right item loadout, using them correctly, identifying opportunities and so on. Like I said there is a ton going on in the game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So how does this control in PC, is it set up like a shooter with minimal skills?Or is it like wow with hot bars filled with skills and shit you need to perform.
There's items but you use them as you need them rather than on cooldown, and even then you'll generally only have a few items you'll want to use on a given hunt(healing potions obviously which come in various sizes, attack buffs that you pop before engaging the monsters, maybe some item to clear specific debuff on the monsters). Then you have mantles that you put on, 2 of them that provides utility for a set duration then go on cooldown, and palico skills if you're not playing multi(palicos are little cats that serve as like "half a player" to help you when not in a full party, you can gear them and they have special tools which come with skills). You can put all of this on a traditional mmo bar(although it's only displayed when you hold a button) or on a radial menu for gamepad, but other than that the actual combat gameplay doesn't have skills, you simply press the buttons to do thing, it's action combat. So like if you do forward+attack you get a different move than neutral attack. There's a bunch of different buttons that do different things and you combine them into a fairly wide variety of moves.

Some weapons are more complex, for example Charge Blade has 2 different modes and you have a large amount of moves for each set as well as a charging mechanic and buffing mechanic that changes some moves or gives them special properties, while others are more straightforward such as lance which is mostly straight attacks and blocks/counters, no separate ressource, no charging stuff, no self buffs, just a shield and a lance and you poke stuff and block stuff(mind you it's a very fun weapon to use since you can counter pretty much everything and it has great mobility and great precise reach).

You can kinda imagine Dark Souls, but with somewhat faster/more fluid combat(still heavy punishing combat not cancel out of every move with your spammable high iframe dodge stuff like Devil May Cry), where the focus is purely hunting bosses that are spawned in large somewhat open levels, and you can play with up to 3 other people(although DS3 you could play with like 2 or 3 other ppl with the right covenants iirc). Each monster drops their own parts, which craft their own set of armor and weapons, and you mix and match sets, hunting specific monsters until you get all the drops your need to craft the stuff you want to make your character stronger, to fight stronger monsters and so on. There's a story but the story is basically "oh no monster x is here, we should kill it, oh wait monster y showed up, let's kill that too" and so on until you've killed everything.

Last edited:

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Get the Plunderblade, if you don't have it yet. It'll be more helpful in IB, at least in the beginning.

Not at IB yet, stuck on Kushala. That's Rotten Vale right? It seems like a bit harder item to get, will have to look it up.

Drop the Defender armor once you're past Xeno, and get yourself some Elder Dragon armor. You just need enough Defense to survive vs. Beotodus, and Hornetaur materials to get a much much much better armor set early on in IB. The Defender weapon will last a bit longer, maybe to MR3 before you really need to get an upgraded weapon. Maybe focus on getting the Rathian / Nergi weapon trees fully done before IB drops.

I'm on Xbone so I do have Icebourne already :) I think once I get past Kushala I'll get to Xeno pretty quick but man, this has been a bitch.

Brando Brando did you finally slay the Steel Wind?

No, I did one try last night with the LS though that was promising and should have stuck with it. My issue was I didn't have any more flashbugs handy so switched to the HBG since I could only carry 3 at a time and that was bad as I've barely used the HBG to this point. Going to farm some bugs today to carry with to make more pods as the fight goes along and will probably down him tonight with the LS.

Edit: The other issue with HBG was it's not clear in the game that what ammo they can shoot varies by model. I only can build Defender, Bone and Iron models without farming more. All 3 of those are seemingly Spread ammo build type HBG meaning I need to be right next to Kushala to really have work. I can only carry 3 Cluster ammo and only the lvl 1 variety for instance on the Bone model whereas the Defender I can't carry any if I remember correctly. So while the weapon may seem better with the right loadout for this monster, the ones I have available probably are worse than just using my LS.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Carry 3 pods and 10 flashbugs in your inventory to craft more on the fly. You can grow flashbugs in the farm if you've unlocked that and started using it. Since you have iceborne you SHOULD be able to clutch claw which will make Kushala much less of a bitch.

What specifically has been killing you? His dive attack? The wind eating away your health?

Last edited: