Monster Hunter: World

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well that FFXIV set was like bis with 4pc for the set for a long while but then they powercrept that. But yeah it's like a puzzle game where you just put the best pieces possible with the most sockets for the decorations you have to reach the skills you need(which depends on the weapon, like for example getting guard stuff for lance or getting buff duration for IG or whatever). There's automatic solvers you can find on internet where you just enter your decorations, what skills you want and it finds the most optimal ways to do that and the better your gear/decos are the more skills you can slap on so that by the end you have a lot of utility/qol skills on top of the raw dmg stuff.

For leveling though you're pretty much just gonna stick to a couple of sets, like usually early in HR/MR you'll be able to get a semi decent set of stuff going(iirc bone armor for MR? or was it HR? there were a fair few good pieces in one of these with like attack and what not, metal/bone armors are nice cause you can just run around gathering mats and then make them instead of having to fight monsters and get bitchslapped with your outdated armor). And then you ride that until later when you start getting one tapped and you just stop the story for a bit to farm something to get better armor at that tier(or you spend your armor stones to upgrade your current shit). Once you're done with the story and you can really start farming is when you start putting together the "real" stuff. There's likely guides on that or you can wing it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Whats the best way to farm. I have not unlocked that much yet but you can either go for the bounty board or expeditions?

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I guess its kinda bad sport using the Guardian Armor and Defender weapon when you start a new game? Only done the first tutorial hunt but people say its kinda endgame gear for starting Iceborn.

Not getting upgrades during the playthrough sounds boring so I should probably switch to the normal started armor?
If you want to stretch your play time the old hunter way from basic armor progression, it's probably a good time because there are tons of players to cart with at lower levels right now.
I would use defender if solo, I feel it's too much pain to endure.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So in rise I just unlocked this crafting mechanic, spend resources to get random upgrades on armor pieces. Example below, no idea what the rules are but it is nuts. Left is old, right is new, green is added, red is removed. It added a gem slot...the fuuuuuck.
mhr.JPG

Aazrael

I'll resurrect this thread for the World discussions.

I just got to the desert area and been using the Bone sword due to damage number higher = must be better but the Steel sword might be better to use? It got that crit thing and supposed to be "Sharper"?

Really enjoying the game and taking it slow doing the Optional quests as they unlock before continuing the MSQ.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'll resurrect this thread for the World discussions.

I just got to the desert area and been using the Bone sword due to damage number higher = must be better but the Steel sword might be better to use? It got that crit thing and supposed to be "Sharper"?

Really enjoying the game and taking it slow doing the Optional quests as they unlock before continuing the MSQ.
Early weapons are kinda whatever. Bone usually has more raw attack but less crit and less sharpness, but for low rank stuff it kinda doesn't matter. Sharpness becomes useful once you can hit white sharpness though because it'll ignore a bunch of the "tough armor" bounce stuff, but for Longsword iirc a bunch of moves just ignore it anyway.

I'd say once you feel you start struggling is a good time to upgrade. Another way is to wait for specific monsters to show up to farm. For example weapon wise most classes will usually benefit a lot from Nargacuga weaps, they have average damage, good sharpness and a lot of crit, so once you get to Narga, stopping to farm him a bunch to get a weapon upgrade can be a good idea. Nargacuga is only HR though iirc? Maybe. Another example is once you move to a higher rank, getting a weapon with poison early on helps because poison does a static amount of dmg which makes it very strong early in a new rank(since it updates the values based on rank) but then it falls off, so slapping a monster like Pukei-Pukei for an early upgrade can be good. But you kinda can just use whatever you find mats for and progress through the story pretty decently, usually only having to potentially grind for like the elder dragons/last boss in HR/MR.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Just started a new playthrough after having beat all content with the Switch Axe before Iceborn was even announced. Now I'm back and trying out the Charge Blade. World was my first deep dive into the franchise but I must have retained a lot of the info because I am breezing through the first few monsters and refuse to use the Defender set. We will see how this works out since I am contemplating upping the Jagras armor a few notches and then going after the Anjanth early.

• 1Like

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Thinking about getting this. There's a giant list of DLC. Is any of that necessary for gameplay content or is it all cosmetic bullshit?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thinking about getting this. There's a giant list of DLC. Is any of that necessary for gameplay content or is it all cosmetic bullshit?
Other than Iceborne, its all cosmetic. There might be some QoL stuff in there, but I never felt a need to get anything.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Iceborne is the only DLC which adds content. Rest are cosmetics. There is a high res texture pack you should get (47gb), but other than that nothing is needed. There are 10 or so free DLCs you can add, but instead of adding them one by one, I think at the bottom of the list there are some free bundles you can select which adds them all at once. They're mostly just stickers and hair styles.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Cool thanks. Base game is on sale at eTail so I'll stick with that for now. If I like it I'll get iceborne later.

Aazrael

Just got to the 3rd area after fighting the huge Magma thing for the first time. Been using white low level armor so far with fitting skill bonus thingies. I'm starting to get mats for making green Armor now so that should probably be worth switching to? They got a lot more armor for sure but the bonuses are not the same. Earplugs was a really nice thing to get even if I lost some Attack Up.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Just got to the 3rd area after fighting the huge Magma thing for the first time. Been using white low level armor so far with fitting skill bonus thingies. I'm starting to get mats for making green Armor now so that should probably be worth switching to? They got a lot more armor for sure but the bonuses are not the same. Earplugs was a really nice thing to get even if I lost some Attack Up.
Follow whatever is working, if you can’t beat a monster I would switch something up.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Is it correct to assume when an item have ??? crafting materials I have not yet encountered the right monster?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is it correct to assume when an item have ??? crafting materials I have not yet encountered the right monster?
Been a while but iirc it's both because you haven't killed the monster yet or haven't killed it in a way that can drop the item(this is mostly relevant for monsters in the Guiding Lands which is an Iceborne endgame feature where the monster drops additional special items there). I think there might be some cases where the items doesn't show if you haven't gotten one yet either(like the gems for each elder dragon).

If you see the whole thing as ??? or most of it, it's likely just the monster(the appearance/type of weapon can also clue you on the monster that drops it, like a water elem weapon is going to be Jyoratodus most likely unless it's very high tier then it's the Iceborne elder dragon I forgot the name of and so on). If you see ??? only on one item, it can be due to specific conditions for that item, best is to check a 3rd party site to figure out exactly what's missing.

Also sometimes it's gathered stuff, like metal/bone gathering in every zone will cover that usually.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Correct. Or you have not gathered something like a particular ore you might need. Usually it's because you haven't done the "story"/quest monster yet. Just keep playing. It will open up.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Started doing some SOS Special Arenas, kinda fun going in 4 people and smashing stuff that gave me trouble when I was playing solo.

Collected some mats and could now craft the Weapon I was going for. The flying bird boi that spews ice that mess up your stamina is really annoying, havent checked what potions to drink for that yet.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Started doing some SOS Special Arenas, kinda fun going in 4 people and smashing stuff that gave me trouble when I was playing solo.

Collected some mats and could now craft the Weapon I was going for. The flying bird boi that spews ice that mess up your stamina is really annoying, havent checked what potions to drink for that yet.
Nulberries.

• 1Like