Moonlight (2016)

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
1.00 star(s) Rating: 1.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Moonlight (2016)

Genre: Drama

Director: Barry Jenkins

Cast: Trevante Rhodes, André Holland, Naomie Harris, Mahershala Ali, Janelle Monae, Ashton Sanders, Jharrel Jerome, Alex Hibbert, Jaden Piner, Patrick Decile, Edson Jean, Shariff Earp, Duan Sanderson, Rudi Goblen, Herveline Moncion, Fransley Hyppolite, Larry Anderson, Tanisha Cidel, Stephon Bron, Don Seward, Justin Ebenhack

Release: 2016-09-10

Runtime: 110

Plot: The tender, heartbreaking story of a young man’s struggle to find himself, told across three defining chapters in his life as he experiences the ecstasy, pain, and beauty of falling in love, while grappling with his own sexuality.

Last edited by a moderator:

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider

Fantastic film that's getting a wider release the last few weeks.

Between this and "Fences" I would be shocked to see the Academy try to pull another whites only year.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
And why is that, Chanur? Should I have not made a joke that referenced no POC being nominated in an acting category in 2015/6? Be more specific with your butthurt.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
And why is that, Chanur? Should I have not made a joke that referenced no POC being nominated in an acting category in 2015/6? Be more specific with your butthurt.

Because it's not a fucking participation trophy. If you want an award you better be better than everyone else, not just the best POC.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Because it's not a fucking participation trophy. If you want an award you better be better than everyone else, not just the best POC.
He's right you know.

The only black man shaft last year was everything related to Beats of No Nation. Which was actually anti Netflix, not anti black man.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
He's right you know.

The only black man shaft last year was everything related to Beats of No Nation. Which was actually anti Netflix, not anti black man.

BREAKING: Message board of mostly white men don't think any POC was worthy of a NOMINATION.

Even if people didn't think Michael B. Jordan measured up in Creed, what about Ryan Coogler? Sure we can make an argument that sports movies (and comedies) don't get a fair shake with the academy, but that argument doesn't work when Sly is nominated (who should've won). And by no means do I think Coogler was as good as Iñárritu or Miller last year, but come on, he did at least as good of a job as McCarthy and McKay. The way he did the fights alone... -- And why are the only physical transformations the Academy cares about is the ones that make you obese, skinny or ugly? Because Jordan committed his body to his role as much as anyone who got fat or skinny did (different rant).

Idris was eligible to be nominated (he won a SAG). He just wasn't nominated. It wasn't a strong season for roles for POC, but also maybe that's part of the point too...

Also this was the second year in a row this happened

p.s. maybe you can defend your own point next time, Chanur.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Found the SJW!

Creed was fine. Not amazing.

Idris should've been nominated and should've won.

Can I interest you in some blue hair dye?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
It was a throw away line referencing how ridiculous it would be for it to continue a third year, because of how good this film is (and how good Fences looks) more than anything. I was pressed to defend it, so I did, that's all.

So this movie...

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
BREAKING: Message board of mostly white men don't think any POC was worthy of a NOMINATION.

Even if people didn't think Michael B. Jordan measured up in Creed, what about Ryan Coogler? Sure we can make an argument that sports movies (and comedies) don't get a fair shake with the academy, but that argument doesn't work when Sly is nominated (who should've won). And by no means do I think Coogler was as good as Iñárritu or Miller last year, but come on, he did at least as good of a job as McCarthy and McKay. The way he did the fights alone... -- And why are the only physical transformations the Academy cares about is the ones that make you obese, skinny or ugly? Because Jordan committed his body to his role as much as anyone who got fat or skinny did (different rant).

Idris was eligible to be nominated (he won a SAG). He just wasn't nominated. It wasn't a strong season for roles for POC, but also maybe that's part of the point too...

There was nothing to defend. You made a stupid racist statement and I pointed it out. You are required to defend your idiotic statement, which you tried to do so here, just poorly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
There was nothing to defend. You made a stupid racist statement and I pointed it out. You are required to defend your idiotic statement, which you tried to do so here, just poorly.

No. You just don't comprehend context. That's all. I didn't even know what your viewpoint was on my statement until someone else made it for you. I'm still not entirely sure what it is since "What a stupid thing to say" and "well put" were your contributions to this derail.

And I'm not required to do anything, so get real.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Moonlight is trash just like Manchester by the Sea. Am I a supremacist?
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. At least it's in reference to the movie. That's a lot of feelings in a 4 hour period if you watched those in the same weekend.

ham ham You are apparently required to keep being a faggot. So well done.

I think you just drove home my point. Nice argument. And I'd point out the irony of you calling me a faggot in this thread, but I think it'd be lost on you.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't seen any yet, or anything in 'oscar season' yet really. It's about to be xmas of rips soon tho.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Lets say MBJ was snubbed. How many massive snubs have happened over the years? You bring like 2 anecdotes of POSSIBLE opinions on snubs and use that to justify a blanket statement about potentially the most liberal place ON EARTH. If you can believe Hollywood is racist, at this point, what the fuck hope does anyone have of convincing you otherwise? And why should we listen, at all?

But beyond that, black people make up 12% of the domestic population, they make up 2% in Britain, and lower in the rest of the Europe. This is where most of the actors in the SAG come from. A few have filtered in directly from Africa, but the fact is, the numbers of POPULATION are low, which is why black actors, even though they are OVER represented on screen per their population, have lower quantities to choose from. If you're of the belief that the awards correctly grant to only movies one standard deviation of quality above the mean? Then the number of 'black awards' is VERY VERY small, and statistically having strike out years (Even multiple in a row) isn't that surprising.

But uhh, don't let me or my rationality from a 'white board' get in the way of believing it was racism from the same people who have turned the veneration of people of color into a cult. Because its sane to look at reality in a completely skewed way.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
oh the white guilt is so raw, you empathetic lamb, you're such a great soul.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database