Moonlight (2016)

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Is Ham, Ham and cheese? Because that would be the most interesting part of this thread. Man coffee and TV, and ham.

spronk

FPS noob
man fuck this movie, boring as fuck. i don't watch oscar movies, but everyone kept yapping about how this was the greatest movie ever made so i watched it and jesus fucking christ its so goddamn boring. might as well be called Handjob: the movie. No character learns anything, changes, and we don't even get anything beyond a small little window into 3 different people's lives. I don't even understand how Mahershala Ali won best supporting actor, he was great in the movie but he was in it for like... 4 minutes?? how the fuck does that get you an oscar.

i'm pretty sure this movie was basically just white people looking at each other after watching this movie and thinking "well... fuck... i can't say anything bad, or gay and black people will call me names. OH YEAH JAMAL ITS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER". i'm sure if you are a young, gay/black kid this movie will be inspirational and fantastic just like stand by me or star wars was for me, but for the 98% of the rest of the population its just a boring ass movie.

no hate on the acting, directing, etc its all high quality but its a stage play in movie format, thats it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
man fuck this movie, boring as fuck. i don't watch oscar movies, but everyone kept yapping about how this was the greatest movie ever made so i watched it and jesus fucking christ its so goddamn boring. might as well be called Handjob: the movie. No character learns anything, changes, and we don't even get anything beyond a small little window into 3 different people's lives. I don't even understand how Mahershala Ali won best supporting actor, he was great in the movie but he was in it for like... 4 minutes?? how the fuck does that get you an oscar.

i'm pretty sure this movie was basically just white people looking at each other after watching this movie and thinking "well... fuck... i can't say anything bad, or gay and black people will call me names. OH YEAH JAMAL ITS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER". i'm sure if you are a young, gay/black kid this movie will be inspirational and fantastic just like stand by me or star wars was for me, but for the 98% of the rest of the population its just a boring ass movie.

no hate on the acting, directing, etc its all high quality but its a stage play in movie format, thats it.

Well, Fences got nominated too and that was literally a stage play in movie format.

Also, as much as I hate the term 'privilege', this movie could be the SJW Privilege test. If you connect with 0 parts of it, you're probably a straight white person who grew up nice. I thought pretty much the same as you, the acting as good, the direction was good. I also thought the story was good and interesting at points, but it definitely dragged for me. Thinking about it later, I thought to myself "I bet this would have resonated more with me if I had been, Gay, Black, Gay and Black, Didn't know my dad, Had a shitty and/or drug addled mother 'raise', grew up in a shitty neighborhood, got picked on in school, turned on by my best friend, had a bad person do right by me and then later follow in his footsteps as an adult, and I am sure more themes that I am not thinking of right now.

However, I'm none of those things, so this was just a slice of life movie that didn't resonate with me. Similar to Boyhood a few years ago. Well, except I thought boyhood may have been one of the worst movies I have ever seen. However, talking to older people in my family and at work, those who had raised a child, had them leave home, etc, really had the movie resonate with them.

But this really doesn't explain how a bunch of old white people who I am convinced don't see more than a third of the movies nominated by the academy voted for it, I still chalk that up to white guilt. At least no one was a slave in this one.

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
The first part is OK, has good potential, then it gets progressively weirder (WTF is wrong with the guy?!?) and I kept asking myself where the hell does this lead to? They are dropping hints here and there... And yeah, like 20min before it ends it's confirmed:
he's gay.
Really? Did I have to sitting through this just to roll my eyes for 20min? Zero payoff, waste of time.

Fences was better but I really disliked Denzel's character throughout the entire movie, couldn't connect at all. In the opening part he's just talk talk talk. Man, stfu... And it only gets 'better'. He's really is just an old man stuck in the past, screwing up his family because he doesn't know better (but not all of it is bad, of course).

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Hell or High Water should have won but no black people in it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Surprised it took 3 pages before someone said this movie sucked.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Best movie of the year and its done $25mil gross domestic. Or you know just over a third of opening day of star wars for perspective. If not for suicide squad and zootopia the entirety of the other movies nominated didn't gross more than star wars.

The oscars are sjw now. Its going to be Minorities and LGBTQ from here on out. They'll hand out best picture to someone they have snubbed for 20 years every once in a while now.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Star Wars (I assume you mean Force Awakens) was a completely shit film.

Hell or Highwater was the best picture, if not that, hacksaw Ridge should of won. but you know, black people.

Nabassu

Lord Nagafen Raider
Saw this last night, felt like a cross between They Look Like People and The Wire. For an movie so focused on the intimate portrayal of its characters, I felt it was struggling against me engaging the material. For example, the camera work was mostly well done, but occasionally competently distracting from the scene.

The Witch would win best picture if it were my vote.

Szlia

I have not seen the movie yet, but I read an interview of the director a few weeks back and he mentioned the deliberate effort to have an aesthetic that is not what you would expect for this type of story. I guess a similar idea can be found in Manchester By The Sea's choice of music: the film says that the domestic tragedies of blue collar workers also deserve Albinoni and Handel. So here the film says the trials of tribulations of a gay black man in the ghetto is also worthy of a visual aesthetic on par with operatic biopics, not just some gritty fake documentary style (not that there is anything wrong with that style, but not using it here makes a statement).

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I still think the style led to a more claustrophobic and introverted situ presentation that went very well. As I posted earlier I came away relating more with his struggle with family, himself, and his own acceptance then I saw any social rejection of homosexuality or being black. The themes were there but it was more focused on him than on evil society or evil white man.

I also related very well to his relationship with his mom because mine suffered some of the same things. Her manipulation, over protection, and projection really made some parts hard to watch.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Thought it was pretty engaging but ultimately a bit of a let down, it felt like it was building up to something but fell totally flat for the last 20 minutes or so. Whoever made this movie needs a therapist, not a career in Hollywood.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Thought it was pretty engaging but ultimately a bit of a let down, it felt like it was building up to something but fell totally flat for the last 20 minutes or so. Whoever made this movie needs a therapist, not a career in Hollywood.

According to what I have read, therapy is exactly what this was. He wrote the play like 10 to 15 years ago in drama school after his mother died of AIDS and wasnt until a few years ago it was picked up for movie development.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Yeah that doesn't surprise me even a tiny bit. It could have used a bit of restructuring though.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Can't decide if this or Rogue One was the most boring, over-hyped, piece of shit made in the last 12 months.

Too close to call really.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finally got around to seeing this. It's slow and not re-watchable but cinematography and score are so well done. TBH the best actor is the chef guy in act 3. Ending was perfect.