Motherland Rises: Putin's Grip

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Putin's power play jeopardizes Eurasian Union plans

According to Shevtsova, Kyiv is the "crown jewel" in Russia's Eurasian ambitions. A country of 45 million people, Ukraine has fertile agricultural land, an industrial base and lies right on Central Europe's doorstep.
"It was one of the key goals of Putin to get Ukraine into the orbit because a Eurasian Union.without Ukraine would have a very strong Asian face," she said.
But Moscow's intervention in Crimea could jeopardize the entire integration project. Ukraine has been driven even further into the West's arms by the de-facto Russian annexation of the Black Sea peninsula. The EU could sign the political chapters of an association agreement with Kyiv as early as March 20th.
Meanwhile, Belarus and Kazakhstan have failed to express strong public support for Moscow's position in Ukraine. Putin's doctrine of reserving the right to use military force to protect ethnic Russians might have Minsk and Astana worried. Nearly a quarter of Kazakhstan's population and eight percent of Belarus claim Russian ethnicity.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
The pain has already started...

German Chancellor Angela Merkel spelled out the danger for Russia in a speech that silenced pro-Kremlin voices in her own coalition and left no doubt that Europe is now fully behind the US on punitive measures.

?If Russia continues on its course of the past weeks, that will not only be a great catastrophe for Ukraine. It will cause massive damage to Russia, both economically and politically,? she said. ?None of us wants it to come to this, but we are determined to act. Let me be absolutely clear; the territorial integrity of Ukraine is not up for discussion.?

...Russia has threatened to retaliate with ?symmetrical sanctions? but Tim Ash, from Standard Bank, said it is a one-sided contest that Moscow cannot win. ?Russia is facing the entire West. Its economy is already very weak and this could end up being as bad as 2008-2009, when GDP contracted by 9pc,? he said.

[Sanctions] will be spearheaded by the US Securities and Exchange Commission, which will enforce compliance of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. The next step is to place Russia on the ?grey list? for money laundering. ?This would prevent global banks from dealing with Russian counterparts. Washington is tightening the noose. No bank is going to mess with the SEC,? said Mr Ash.

Chris Weafer, from the Moscow-based group Macro Advisory, said the Russian elites are becoming ?extremely nervous? but it is a two-way risk. ?There could be contagion back into the West. There are a lot of things Russia can do short of the nuclear option of cutting off gas. It could ban exports of titanium, inflicting severe disruption on Airbus and Boeing,? he said. Both jet makers rely on titanium supplies from the Russia firm VSMPO-Avisma.
Russia counts cost as West tightens sanctions noose - Telegraph

The potential impact of sanctions has been reflected in estimates showing that Russia?s 10 top billionaires have seen the value of their assets slump by $6.6bn (?3.9bn) in just the past week.

Russian companies have already switched vast sums out of western banks in anticipation of sanctions. The Federal Reserve Bank of New York has reported a drop of $104bn in treasury securities held by foreign institutions in recent days and pointed the finger at the Russian central bank.
Ukraine sanctions move upsets oligarchs - Telegraph

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure why its a shocker. From what I read anyone who would of voted no, didn't bother to show up(don't blame them, not sure I'd go vote no with russian military at voting outpost), so it was all the russian back ground that voted (granted they have the majority population iirc). And did anyone really think it would be different when russia literally controls the country for the past weeks. There's no way they would of let a No even hypothetically becoming a possibility.

Even more hilarious is the russian military still carrying on the charade of not wearing their real uniforms and carrying on with the "nope where not russian military, do you see any insignia on my uniform?".

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
What do you think the Russian military would do? Check your ballot and shoot you if you voted against joining Russia?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
kUs1S8M.png

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What do you think the Russian military would do? Check your ballot and shoot you if you voted against joining Russia?
Considering they control everything atm and you are pretty much putting your identity on paper to them, I sure as fuck wouldn't give them that if you are against them. Pretty obvious how this was going to go and it would only be allowed to go one way.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Considering they control everything atm and you are pretty much putting your identity on paper to them, I sure as fuck wouldn't give them that if you are against them. Pretty obvious how this was going to go and it would only be allowed to go one way.
You're living in a fantasy world, bro.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
The worst part about this picture is the trike he's riding. While pretty and shiny, it's the manly equivalence of peeing sitting down.

Having said that, I've pee'd sitting down many time, and would love to have that trike.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
when republicans post observers near poll stations you call it voter suppression, that sounds about right.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The worst part about this picture is the trike he's riding. While pretty and shiny, it's the manly equivalence of peeing sitting down.

Having said that, I've pee'd sitting down many time, and would love to have that trike.
What's up with the dudes on the ATV?