MTG thread

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So, noob question here...What's my best route for selling off some old Magic cards? Is there even a market for them anymore? Do I just try some random FLGS or is there somewhere online that's better? I don't really want to go an Ebay type route where i lose 20% of my money off the top.

I played heavily in 1995-1997, so I have 3rd,4th edition, tons of Ice Age and the other expansions I can't recall the names of from around that time. I do know I have a full 3rd edition set (Though I did trade one or two of the dual lands I never used for dual lands that I did use ). Cards are all in great condition. I played with them but always sleeved, and stored them in nice solid cardboard card boxes. I've basically had them stored for 15 years, figure it would be nice to part with some (or all) and put the money towards new hobbies. I loved playing the game back in the day but don't think I'll ever pick iut back up again.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Someone here might buy them. I sold my cards to Heylel a while back. Hell these days I might buy them since I'm a fucking addict and can't actually quit.

If you do have a full set of revised you've got at least a fair chunk of money in the duals and wheel of fortune. Ice age is a bit of a brick, but alliances has force of will which is $$ still. Very least you'll want to look through it (post a list here if it's feasible) and we can give you a good idea of a ballpark figure.

Notable things to look for from that era are like:

alliances: force of will, helm of obedience, lake of the dead
ice age: brushland I think? Necropotence probably worth at least a little bit. lots of middling like 2-5$ stuff.
visions: vampiric tutor, natural order, rest are all <10$ individually
mirage: lions eye diamond (big one, over 100$), phyrexian dreadnaught, most of the tutors
weatherlight: null rod, bunch of random like 5-10$ stuff like firestorm, lotus vale
tempest: lots here, wasteland, scroll rack, earthcraft, intuition, uhm, ancient tomb, aluren? maybe a few more
stronghold: mox diamond, sliver queen, ensaring bridge, earthcraft, i'm sure there's more here but those are probably the biggest
exodus: city of traitors and survival of the fittest are pretty big, i'm sure there's a bunch more ~10$ stuff

Anything older like dark/antiquities/legends etc is mostly all worth at least something just due to age.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'll buy random beta or arabian / antiquities / legends stuff. Literally anything beta is worth picking up for old school.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Cool, I may be able to go through them in the next week or so, but I'm moving in a month so may get busy. Either way I will post a list here first. Thanks for the info.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Desolator Magic is threatening to quit magic and youtube over this set. This would make it one of the best sets ever.
I have never really watched him, what's his problem with this set? Looks fine so far.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Des loaths good cards, and netdeckers, and everything involved with magic. He has like 20 rant videos about how Cryptolith Rite will completely destroy magic forever. And somehow, despite lacking any understanding of the game or competition, he's one of the higher subbed/viewed magic youtubers.

Last edited:

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, ok. I've seen similar comments about him in random places. So, good, hope he does quit then.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
hmm.. interesting. Might fit into a jeskai control deck as a win condition? Or maybe just a deck dedicated to finding the combo mostly. An infinite combo on turn 4 in standard hasn't happened in awhile. The color requirements aren't strict on either card.

Still, I can't imagine it'll dominate standard enough that Saheeli keeps a high price. Since she isn't played in other decks and is two colors, the deck needs to be clearly the best deck in standard for it to effect her price much long term. I'd likely sell into the hype before the set comes out unless play testing of the deck backs up the idea.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amusingly, the other infinite damage attack combo (Crackdown Construct+Wandering Fumarole) is also in Jeskai colors. Will probably be a pretty fun FNM deck using both.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
oh, cool. Might actually be a real deck, ala 'lucky charms' from RTR era standard. If the deck can function without the combos, and then just sometimes wins out of nowhere with them. Crackdown construct is the only iffy part, that doesn't do much on it's own, potentially.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The construct combo is only slightly interesting because you can EOT tutor the construct out with the new blue UUU instant tutor thing, so maybe get a surprise swing for infinity that way. Otherwise it's not that exciting due to 0 evasion and being relatively frail, while the construct itself is a 4 mana 2/2 which is pretty trash tier.

Personally I'm much more interested in playing consulate dreadnaughts and start your engines and winning via memes. Start your engines makes them 9/11s and I can name the deck Jet Fuel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The "U-Unblockable and draw a card" and "R-Haste and draw a card" spells are both still legal if folks want to get super jank :D

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Oh, I do. It's going to be so glorious when I EOT tutor for my one of construct and win exactly one game before ending up 1-4 at FNM.

If I actually get to dome people with an army of engined dreadnaughts then this whole set will be worth it.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Banned and Restricted List moved up a week out of nowhere, speculators going nuts.

Sterling

El Presidente
Banned and Restricted List moved up a week out of nowhere, speculators going nuts.
Would like to see some unbannings in Modern, but I doubt they'd push up the announcement for that. Maybe Emrakul gets banned in Standard, that card is straight awful.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No unbannings.

Standard:
Smuggler's Copter Banned (Lame, it's high prevalence, but rewards good magic play)
Reflector Mage Banned (This ban is so 2016 I was surprised CoCo wasn't on the banlist too!)
Emrakul Banned (Bye bye Mindslaver)

Modern
Gitaxian Probe (BEST BAN. Fuck combo decks having Gitaxian Probe as free-cycling hand-knowledge to remove the risk portion of playing a combo deck)
Golgari Grave Troll (Well, at least shitty GY decks will be playable again, since this should cause some folks to sideline their hate cards again)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I understand maybe kicking Emmy out of the format as people absolutely fucking hate being mindslavered but I'm confused about the other two Standard bans.

Sterling

El Presidente
Entirely likely that once Emrakul gets banned that 99 percent of decks will end up as various Copter decks. That's what happens when you print really good cheap colorless cards. The Reflector Mage thing is pretty mind boggling though, it plays the same as it did when it was first printed and there's no longer Company to do it at instant speed. Losing Copter already is going to hurt the flash deck quite a lot so it seems pretty odd.

As for the Modern bannings, I get the Probe one. Phyrexian mana is just a stupid mechanic, but I sort of expected it to be Become Immense. Banning Probe sort of indirectly hits Become Immense anyways, so that might just work out anyways. Troll makes sense I guess too I guess, I don't really care that much either way about this one. I'd have liked to see some unbannings though. Jace/Bloodbraid being unbanned together would have been nice.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I doubt you'll ever see a JTMS unban, for purely PR reasons. Regardless of its strength or lack thereof. They also just re-banned Golgari Grave Troll, so they got burned pretty hard by at least one unban :)