MTG thread

RQB

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dating a girl who is interested in learning MTG but she is chinese and does not read english very well. I know china is notorious for making fake cards but I was hoping to find a place to buy legitimate chinese cards. I started with elves way back so I was going to make here this.

Budget Magic: $85 (45 tix) Modern Beatdown Elves

Last edited:

RQB

Mr. Poopybutthole
I could be mistaken but i thought the majority of fake cards are in english.

True enough. Re-reading what I wrote, derp to me.

Request still stands. TCGplayer doesn't have what I need. Not really sure where else to look since that's usually my main go to besides my local store.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Dating a girl who is interested in learning MTG but she is chinese and does not read english very well. I know china is notorious for making fake cards but I was hoping to find a place to buy legitimate chinese cards. I started with elves way back so I was going to make here this.

Budget Magic: $85 (45 tix) Modern Beatdown Elves

I Suggest http://www.mtgmintcard.com/mtg/singles - this is where I buy most of my stuff. Go to advanced search, select "chinese" and browse away.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Did 4 pre-releases over the weekend cause I'm a dork and had nothing better to do. 3-1 x3 and a 4-0 nets me 26 packs which ain't too bad. Lost one of my 3-1 rounds to a sundering titan which was pretty lol.

Some cards were unsurprisingly amazing (ridgescale tusker, aethersphere harvester, walking ballista, rhino train etc), but there were quite a few that were far better than I'd thought they'd be.

Improvise as a whole is much, much stronger that it looked initially. Gearseeker serpent is a premium pick from the kaladesh pack in draft I think, as hitting that critical mass of like 8-9 artifacts is very, very easy now. The 4/4 hexproof with improvise is similarly amazing. Uncommons have tons of great options as well with that 4/4 haste trample giant, the draw 3 sorcery, the blue flyer etc. Combine that with the 6/4 energy whale in blue, and a playable mana leak at common, and blue looks real, real strong in this.

Chandra's revolution is a goddamn house. I figured sorcery speed lightning blast would be pretty awful, but the tempo steal on the land tap is actually amazing. You can blow out entire games on the plat by throwing a revolution at their 3 drop and fucking up their curve for turn 4 and they just drop nothing.

Blue/Black expertise are easily the best, both of which can just blow out entire games. Green/white are both solid like A- cards and can potentially be amazing but by themselves won't swing the game back in your favor usually. Red one is trash because lol red got threaten and threaten has never been good.

New super-cancel and the mana leak are both totally playable in limited, go blue!

Revolt was in general harder to activate than I figured it would be going in to the set. You can't really count on being able to trade dudes in combat without offering something pretty advantageous to the opponent, so if you want cards like your skywhaler to be relevant you really need to be favoring flicker effects and sac outlets pretty highly. Like expedition map, always draft expedition maps.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Overperformers:
-Fourth Bridge Prowler (So many X/1s, and coming down after combat to kill bigger things after they've absorbed an attack (or before combat to reduce their defending power enough to safely swing with a fatty). Also cast it several times to murder itself for Revolt triggers.)
-Illusionist's Strategem (Amazing with Revolt creatures, can potentially catch people with their pants down on their attack, but they're likely to be expecting SOMETHING when you pass turn with 4+ mana up. Amazing with U/R's etb thopter makers.)
-Invigorated Rampage (Specifically in Red/Green, this thing is wild. Pushes through massive piles of damage. Also hilarious if you have Double Strikers, and to a lesser extent, Red's First Strikers.)
-Renegade Map (It's like an Evolving Wilds with tons of upside)
-Scrounging Bandar (Amazing at enabling shenanigans, whether it's loading fliers/double-strikers with counters, spreading out counters to make sure everyone gets buffed by Lifecrafter's Gift, or just by killing himself proactively during the upkeep to trigger Revolt. Also amusing, if you have a winding constrictor and two bandars out, they can just buff each other each upkeep until they're giant murder monkeys.)
-Yahenni: She's an absolute bomb if you've got removal. And even if you don't, with so many decks running small dudes/servos, she makes combat real fuckery. Got to cast Monstrous Onslaught with her on 6 Power, proceeded to swing for lethal. Fun card :D

Underperformers:
-Greenwheel Libreator (By the time you string together Revolt, he's not all that impressive. Amazing with turn 1 Renegade Map, though. This is definitely a card designed for Fetchland Formats.)
-Untethered Express (STILL GREAT. But the expectations it had to live up to were super high, so "great" is still short of "jesus christ it's a better renegade freighter!" That 1 Mana Cost is a big difference in a format this high tempo. Amazing "finisher," though, and I still played it in the base deck of every pool I opened, I just sided it out when I was on the draw in some of the aggressive matches.)

Was an interesting Sealed Format. The cards felt a bit slower than pure KLD, but Revolt encouraging people not to block seemed to cancel that out, leaving the format about as fast as pure KLD. Managed to take home 2.5 boxes over the weekend, so my EDH needs are pretty well sated :)

The two top-8 drafts we did were, as usual, a clusterfuck since half the top 8 didn't read the full set spoiler. I ended up on 4-Color Control to win one top 8, with 4 Renegade Map and 15 lands. Other top 8 draft I strung together a decent G/W deck with Sram and a million Pacifisms to cantrip off of, split the finals.

Did 4 tournaments, made the cut in two, 0-2 dropped the other two. But the 0-2 drops were weird. Had Smuggler's Copter and Verdurous Gearhulk in one of the pools, and the other was basically perfect R/G Energy Aggro. Baraal's Expertise/Yahenni's Expertise blow-outs ended both decks' hopes and dreams :) Meanwhile the mediocre pools muddled through to the top.

Standout bombs over the weekend were definitely Ridgescale Tusker and Scrapper Champion for uncommons, Baraal's Expertise at Rare, the Black Demon (as long as you had ~11-12 decent artifacts to back it), Big Dumb Game Ending Lizard, and Tezzeret "The 3-for-1er" for Mythic.

Winding Constrictor deserves a shout out, despite not being a bomb, but just for being exactly as amazing as expected.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So, with rishkar's expertise, do you get to draw the cards first, THEN cast a spell from among the ones you drew? I was thinking all the expertise stuff went off as one trigger. Therefore, with rishkar's, you'd have to choose the free spell before you looked at the new cards? Or, with yahenni's, if the free spell was one that somehow returned a creature from your graveyard when cast, it couldn't target something that dies from the -3/-3 effect.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The free spell happens as the expertise is resolving, so whatever you cast with it happens after whatever the expertise card itself does is finished. So yes, you can cast one of the cards you draw with rishkars, or dump a creature on the board with yahenis. It gets extra special fun time complicated (but still works) with stuff that has say, sac a creature, as part of the casting cost where you can pay that cost with a dude that would otherwise be dying to yahenis because state based won't get checked until yahenis is done resolving, so your 0/0 or whatever stays alive on the board long enough to pay for like an eldritch evolution as your free spell

You could indeed grave dig something yahenis killed, because it would die as a state-based when yahenis finishes resolving, then the free spell winds up on the stack and the dead guy is in the bin and is a valid target.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Don't you have to declare targets when the spell is put on the stack? also, I was thinking specifically of a 'when cast' trigger, like Ulamog's 'exile', just couldn't think if there's anything that regrowth's as a 'when cast'. If you had nothing in the graveyard, the trigger goes on stack, has nothing to target at that time, but then when it resolves there is, so it's fine?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
A dedicated spell effect like say, raise dead, I don't think will work no. The dude will still be a 0/0 waiting for state based to check when you put the raise dead on to the stack so you couldn't pick him. Something like that new g/w rallier guy or plain old gravedigger should be fine (mana cost aside), or some weirdos like necromancer or animate dead probably still work just due to how they operate.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Hey guys I need some help.

I have a shitload of cards (95% of which are Standard) that I need to offload. Problem is, I have no personal friends interested or even playing anymore and there are no brick and mortar shops that purchase cards in my area. The next obvious choice is eBay, but it would be my first time selling so my account would have no feedback. Any advice on a smart option to unload them? I would prefer to do a bulk option or atleast some sort of 25$ minimum or whatever. I *really* dont want to ship off 68 different packages containing 2 cards a piece for $4 a package.

Alternatively, if anyone here is interested in buying up some Standard I have a decent amount of the current flavor. Panharmonicon, Aethersphere Harvester, etc. almost every rare or mythic from SoI and a good bit of Eldritch Moon. Also, if anyone from FoH is interested I will cut a nice discount for a bulk order or the more expensive cards. I can provide photo proof of cards, etc.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Send me a list of your standard rares/mythics that are like >2$? I have infinite bulk rares so not a ton of interest there, but may buy up actual playable stuff.

• 1Like

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I'm on my phone right now Ronne so I might have clicked the wrong thing. I thought I was sending a PM but I started a 'conversation' with the full list. Not sure if it pops up in your alerts or not so just making you aware.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm on my phone right now Ronne so I might have clicked the wrong thing. I thought I was sending a PM but I started a 'conversation' with the full list. Not sure if it pops up in your alerts or not so just making you aware.
Yeah Conversation is PM.

I wouldn't mind the list also.

• 1Like

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Oh OK, good to know. Will do a_skeleton_03.

Saying it here publicly - first come, first serve. Strapped for cash and need to offload ASAP even though it's breaking my heart to do so. Just the way it is, boys. BibleThump

edit; I added you to the conversation as it is way easier for me than copying everything. Let me know if you can't see the earlier messages or if I need to clarify anything.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fun Sealed PPTQ today. Managed to muddle to the finals with a rareless B/U Control deck. The common and uncommon improvise dudes are pretty impressive as long as you have Maps/Servo Schematics to fuel them out early. 4/4 Hexproofs were holding down the fort all day. Lost to a deck with Verdurous Gearhulk, Smuggler's Copter, and Aethersphere Harvest, pretty well routed :D

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Card shops pushing up their pricing on Inspiring Statuary and Paradox Engine right before the tour starts. Guess we can guess what some of the store-sponsored teams are on :)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Still not convinced. The internet in general has been clamoring that inspiring statuary is going to shark the PT, but I don't buy it. Price has been creeping up as we draw closer based on rampant reddit speculation.