MTG thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Fucking pro tour steam is triggering me so hard with this:

2. No personal attacks, making fun of anyone featured on the stream, or generally misogynistic comments

Chat rules are fine, and I know it doesn't really matter, but it specifically calling out misogynistic comments is fucking REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Not good enough to have a global "don't be an asshole" rule, no no no, women are special snowflakes and must be specifically protected at all times lest we be accused of being misogynists ourselves.

Are there even any women at the pro tour? God why is this fucking rustling me so badly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean, they banned a guy for posing next to buttcracks, they obviously don't care what gender is involved as long as it doesn't end up on the front page of reddit and hurt their PR :D

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Why do you hate your wallet so badly.

Am super jelly though.

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wolverines.png

The VS System tournament's in the other hall, dude.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sad Magic-related smiles this week. My Dad passed away friday, and I found my original DCI card worn and faded in his wallet; he'd kept it ever since he registered me for our first DCI-sanctioned event as a wee lad back in the mid-90s, moving it from wallet to wallet over the years.

Also, he apparently bought the Beta Mox Emerald that had been in Cosmic Comics' card case way back when I was a kid for $50 after telling me that was too damn expensive for a piece of cardboard, and was keeping it in a bank box all these years.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 6Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's how fathers (parents in general) should be. Those are some heart-warming gestures. Happy and sorry for you, Kuro.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So, Magic Digital Next looks like it is just Magic Duels with a full rules engine. Acceptable.

MagicNext.jpg

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Here's to hoping it's just MTGO 2.0 and has a realistic price model with no physical redemption or any of that bullshit. Let me run drafts in 2.0 for 5$ or something, give voucher for packs in your physical packs ala Pokemon, give people a "f2p" option with a free draft once a week or something, enjoy your massive money piles wotc.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I saw the StartCity Richmond and I really like the Torrential Gearhulk 4 color Saheli deck. The winner one.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea so far MM17 looks pretty sweet. There's still obviously plenty of room for duds (at least value wise), but with what's been spoiled already + inevitable snapcaster and liliana reprints it looks like the value will be there for sure.

I'm mostly just excited by the full suite of guildgates + shard lands for drafting; should let you build some hilarious value piles.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Depends on whether the modern masters run is as massive as the early rumors said. Prices will do their standard dip, then rise, but will take longer to rise based on how much product there is. You aren't going to get $12 fetches out of this like you did with Khans, but it should be a severe blow to where their prices were a month ago.
I'd guesstimate the basement on Misty and Tarn at $30. Arid Mesa and Verdant Catacomb around 25. Marsh Flats around 20. And then it'll climb back up over time.

Damnation might be a sneaky long-term investment if you wait for it to bottom out. It'll drop hard now, but the casual demand for that card is real and huge, and will likely still outstrip the supply.

The fetch-lands alone are almost half the EV of the set, so I'd expect the price-depression effect on the other rares and mythics to be more pronounced than usual, since they're fighting for a smaller slice of the pie than normal.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Depends on how wild wotc goes with the rest of it. If they pull their usual 25% amazing 75% dollar bin thing then yea you'll see a lot of like 2-5$ cards hit 50 cents pretty fast.

Maybe we'll be in for a treat this time and it won't be full of a bunch of chaff, but I doubt it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yea so far MM17 looks pretty sweet. There's still obviously plenty of room for duds (at least value wise), but with what's been spoiled already + inevitable snapcaster and liliana reprints it looks like the value will be there for sure.

I'm mostly just excited by the full suite of guildgates + shard lands for drafting; should let you build some hilarious value piles.
It still won't be as ridiculous as 3xKTK drafts. That also had uncommon tri-lands and the gain 1 life on the duals made a huge difference.

Then again, there will probably be way more overpowered multcolored cards in this, so who knows. I'm a huge fan of limited formats where 4-5 color decks are possible; they also generally tend to be my strongest limited formats, so I might have to actually play some fucking magic for the first time in a long time.

If I play on MTGO I'll post up some galleries of my most bonkers drafts like I did in KTK.