MTG thread

Sterling

El Presidente
Drafted twice today. First draft was mono rares. Draft started Resto Angel, Deadeye Navigator, Thragtusk, Arcane Sanctum, Master Splicer. Ended up with Damnation and Sphinx's Rev as well, Esper splashing Thragtusk, Terminate and Pyroclasm. 17 Lands (8 Non Basic), 2 Signets. Second Draft was 15 land mono red with Hellrider as my only 4 drop and 4 Burning Tree Emissary. 3-0 both drafts, but did get run over a couple of times with the first one, and ended some games at absurd lifetotals in others. The red deck just rolled everyone over in 4-6 turns every game, was pretty insane.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea mono red lists or like R/b lists are very scary. My closest games were vs those. Spike Jester is just such a beating if your early game isn't on point.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Took down our Modern Masters Sealed PPTQ today. Had a great R/G Tokens sealed pool, but my spider senses (and my midnight drafting experience) told me that R/G tokens is a horrible trap, so I avoided it by going 4 Color Blink with my 3 terrible Shimmering Grottos of Awfulness, my 4 signets, and my other 5 nonbasic lands. 4-0'd the first 4 rounds of the swiss, and drew into the top 8 in 7th place. Knowing I would never go first, I immediately abandoned any hope of aggressive game play and went full durdle control. Drafted a very solid esper blink deck, with a nice Mystical Teachings package, as well as a Terminus and 2 Cower in Terror (the reason R/G, and some configurations of B/R, is a trap). Smothered my opponents to death by flickering Urbis Protectors and Grixis Slavers. Cower in Terror 5-for-1'd at least twice in the top 8.

Momentary Blink is a bonkers, bonkers magic card (for a common) if you have any kind of board presence. I was shocked when I got passed two of them (although I didn't use the second one because my final creature count was rather low).

Beat B/R aggro in the finals by throwing Azure Mage under the bus, digging her back out of the grave, throwing her back under the bus, unearthing her again, throwing her back under the bus, then Exarching her back into my hand and into play again. When I played Azure Mage in game 2 he threw up his hands and proclaimed "THAT CARD GIVES ME PTSD" :D

MVP of the finals was my opponent's Goblin Guide handing me land every single time it attacked.

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Foil Tarn, 3 Lilis, 1 Tarmogoyf, 2 Blood Moons, 2 Marsh Flats, 1 Misty, 1 Arid Mesa, 1 normal Tarn, 1 Damnation were the standouts from the prize support.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Jesus what was your prize support for that?

I did 5 drafts this weekend. x4 2-0 split for 3 packs each, one 2-1 for a single pack. 28 packs total and my "money" pulls were foil sphinxs rev and foil domri rade. Literally bricked on more than a box and burned 150$ this weekend. Feelsbadman.

I felt the closest thing to biblical envy I think I've ever felt in my life yesterday when to the left of me the kid opened a goyf and a foil catacombs, and to the right of me was a scalding tarn and damnation. Just sitting there holding my zealous conscripts and a mountain of salt.

Worst. Set. Ever.

Sterling

El Presidente
Jesus what was your prize support for that?

I did 5 drafts this weekend. x4 2-0 split for 3 packs each, one 2-1 for a single pack. 28 packs total and my "money" pulls were foil sphinxs rev and foil domri rade. Literally bricked on more than a box and burned 150$ this weekend. Feelsbadman.

I felt the closest thing to biblical envy I think I've ever felt in my life yesterday when to the left of me the kid opened a goyf and a foil catacombs, and to the right of me was a scalding tarn and damnation. Just sitting there holding my zealous conscripts and a mountain of salt.

Worst. Set. Ever.
Yeah I got shipped a Damnation because the dude opened a Foil Liliana. In the 6 packs I opened Foil Sphinx's Rev and a Restoration Angel were as close to money cards as I got. Not ideal for my store's singles wall!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Prize support was 51 packs for first, +3 packs for the t8 draft, +6 packs for the entry pool, for $60. I think it was 3-4 packs into the t8 prize pool per player entry. Two stores work together to run the Lincoln PPTQ, so as far as I can tell they pretty much run it at cost or at a slight loss, in order to drive player attendance and sell a bunch of singles.

This set's really uneven if you get one of the 10% of boxes that just flat out doesn't have fetches. On the plus side, the mythic prices seem to be relatively stable right now, as the sudden surge of people wanting to buy them is slowing the rate of decay. Prices will probably reach their low point sometime during Amonkhet Previews.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I kept trying to split prize, but people kept thinking they were going first and had a better draft deck than me. They were wrong on the second point :). Miracle-ing Terminus against aggro decks is just as bullshit as it ever was.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Bought a box of MM to draft at work for four of us.

Opened twelve myself and will do the rest Wednesday night. First pack was a Snapcaster, second was a Tarn, third was a Grisel. Also pulled voice, inquisition, path, and decay.

Probably $150 in value from half the box, not bad. My last half will be hot steaming garbage I just know it.

Local shop managed to pull together Affinity for me at the same price it would have been from tcgplayer and local place I have seen their cards and they are in good condition. They are tracking down one last opal and citadel for me tonight and I will pick up tomorrow.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Affinity is a good deck, but takes a lot more grinding than some other decks to do well with. There's a lot more decision making in it than some other decks in terms of what order to run out threats, how many resources to commit to a board, etc.

Sterling

El Presidente
Affinity is a good deck, but takes a lot more grinding than some other decks to do well with. There's a lot more decision making in it than some other decks in terms of what order to run out threats, how many resources to commit to a board, etc.
Yeah sequencing is really big with the robots.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Watched plenty of kids on good affinity lists just get ass-blasted by overplaying their hand in to a sweeper and running out of gas.

Very fine line to walk between walking in to a blowout and presenting enough pressure to win before opponents can stabilize or get their own gameplan online for a win.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd say it's Simian Spirit Guide and Mox Opal next up. Maybe Street Wraith if Death's Shadow decks become too dominant?