MTG thread

Sterling

El Presidente
I'd say it's Simian Spirit Guide and Mox Opal next up. Maybe Street Wraith if Death's Shadow decks become too dominant?
Would think Become Immense would be more likely than Street Wraith, but who knows. What Modern really needs is actual Counterspell.

Sterling

El Presidente
God Modern would be so much better if they'd just print fucking Force of Will.
Yeah, that's not going to happen. You could have Counterspell in Standard for a little bit if you make sure it's in a format without a bunch of other good counters. I mean they had Lightning Bolt in M10/11 and Thoughtseize in Theros and both of those cards are stronger than Counterspell.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't think Counterspell would even do all that much to modern the way things are currently. Mana leak is counterpsell like 90% of the time right now and it's nowhere near good enough. Remand isn't good enough and it's arguably better in some ways. Logic Knot is functionally counterspell in any deck that runs it.

It'd help but I don't think it would change the meta at all.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
WotC will fuck up soon enough and give a solid counterspell answer just like they've been fucking the goat with undercosted threats the last couple of years.

It's funny. The worse standard gets, the better it is for proper eternal formats. Sometimes modern gets a few crumbs.

rad

Lord of Guk
20170321_130826.jpg

First box out of 4... not sure I can bring myself to open the other 3

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I hate you.

Also yea, sell your other boxes. It's 100% downhill from there.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Damping Matrix is the trollest rare in the set. It took the Set # Slot of Chalice of the Void/Crucible of Worlds, and I have basically no idea who it's intended for. It's not played in modern and barely played in EDH. As a rare, it doesn't provide any compelling "counterplay" to activated-ability heavy decks (Which in this limited is... B/R Sacrifice? And maybe shutting down an opponent's Mistmeadow Witch/Sunhome 2-drop, cards which are themselves maybe 1 per draft pool), since you'll just rarely have it available as a pick.

Sterling

El Presidente
It used to see play in the old Dark Depths/ThopterSword Extended. And not literally every card is going to be 5 stars.

rad

Lord of Guk
It used to see play in the old Dark Depths/ThopterSword Extended. And not literally every card is going to be 5 stars

Agreed, crucible would have been fun though.

You do any mass cracking? What did you end up selling your boxes for?

Sterling

El Presidente
Agreed, crucible would have been fun though.

You do any mass cracking? What did you end up selling your boxes for?
We didn't open any product for singles no, we didn't get enough allotment to do that and we sold through pretty fast.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Pulled a goyf, tarn, foil lily, and a bunch of random other decent cards tonight.

Did a box at work, 6 man draft (I kept the money cards).

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So all these deck lists for Affinity are saying a single Plains or Island. Why?

Why not another land that I could tap for anything?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Because Ghost Quarter and Path to Exile are very commonly played cards in modern that have the drawback of letting the person you use them on search their deck for a basic land. So depending on which Colored Spell of Choice your version of Affinity is, having 1 basic of that type is a low-cost hedge against Paths/GQs to make sure they aren't just straight up Superior Swords to Plowshares and Strip Mine.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Because Ghost Quarter and Path to Exile are very commonly played cards in modern that have the drawback of letting the person you use them on search their deck for a basic land. So depending on which Colored Spell of Choice your version of Affinity is, having 1 basic of that type is a low-cost hedge against Paths/GQs to make sure they aren't just straight up Superior Swords to Plowshares and Strip Mine.
Got it, makes sense.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Finally broke down and ordered peasant versions of old school beta shit I can't bring myself to acquire, like $90 Elvish Archers.

The worst are chronicles City of Brass. Much shame.