MTG thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Boy that collection is all over the place lol. There's definitely parts of it I'd want, but as a whole I don't think I could swallow it. Too much random EDH stuff that's impossible to move =\

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chubzy Wombat

Silver Knight of the Realm
Boy that collection is all over the place lol. There's definitely parts of it I'd want, but as a whole I don't think I could swallow it. Too much random EDH stuff that's impossible to move =\
Lol i fully understand, and yea its everywhere for sure I play every format other than standard, and poper

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Same boat. I'd cherry pick a few things but most of it would be extra sets I can't flip.

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Lol i fully understand, and yea its everywhere for sure I play every format other than standard, and poper

I sent the link to a local guy who picks up collections, ill let you know if hes interested in a chat.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Gotta love when WotC prints out cards and then just ban them within a cycle or two.

Crappy design work.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
As far as Standard is concerned they had a decent track record up until Kaladesh. Emmy might have been able to stay in the format if it wasn't for Aetherworks Marvel.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Emrakul was a shitty market research ban because too many ultra-casual once a month FNM players didn't like getting mindslavered. Emmy was never the problem by itself, it was them shitting the bed with any kind of playable graveyard hate that led to the delirium decks being so inevitable. Emmy would be totally fine in current standard (sans Marvel) now that there are reasonable ways to keep people off getting to 6+ card types easily every game.

Then they went and undid all the careful Eldrazi cast trigger design they did by printing Marvel, and once again provided actual 0 way to interact with the energy pool to try and shut those strategies down. So now that Saheeli is dead the format is going to fall back on the next most degenerate thing you can do, which is cast turn 4 Ulamog. There's very little interaction here, and what small bit there is is extremely color-limited. Sure you can run negates and play U/x control, but that runs in to the same problem it had versus Saheeli where the rest of the Marvel deck is just a high-value midrange plan that can grind card advantage like no other.

I fully expect the PT to be Marvel vs Mardu (because Thalia) with the usual smattering of dedicated hard control players.

At least I can just slam 30 cards with type "zombie" in to a pile and win games now, so that's kinda fun?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
As far as Standard is concerned they had a decent track record up until Kaladesh. Emmy might have been able to stay in the format if it wasn't for Aetherworks Marvel.

It is funny sometimes they print cards that in standard are uneventful but completely break every other format, (mental misstep)

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Abzan Tokens looks like the perfect mix of outrageous and not-actually-good-enough to qualify as the perfect Game Day Deck.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Zombies winning was sweet sweet justice. The Marvel decks are just not fun to watch, or I assume play against.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Marvel decks invoke HS RNG too much for me personally. It's one thing to assemble a combo in hand/on board its another to rely on the top 6 being what you want in the blind. I was so happy to see Gerry win it he is an all around great guy.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I need to follow the MTG twitch stream though. I enjoyed watching it a ton these past two days and them showing the key cards so I can stop and read them was great.

SirJames

Golden Squire
Emrakul was a shitty market research ban because too many ultra-casual once a month FNM players didn't like getting mindslavered. Emmy was never the problem by itself, it was them shitting the bed with any kind of playable graveyard hate that led to the delirium decks being so inevitable. Emmy would be totally fine in current standard (sans Marvel) now that there are reasonable ways to keep people off getting to 6+ card types easily every game.

Then they went and undid all the careful Eldrazi cast trigger design they did by printing Marvel, and once again provided actual 0 way to interact with the energy pool to try and shut those strategies down. So now that Saheeli is dead the format is going to fall back on the next most degenerate thing you can do, which is cast turn 4 Ulamog. There's very little interaction here, and what small bit there is is extremely color-limited. Sure you can run negates and play U/x control, but that runs in to the same problem it had versus Saheeli where the rest of the Marvel deck is just a high-value midrange plan that can grind card advantage like no other.

I fully expect the PT to be Marvel vs Mardu (because Thalia) with the usual smattering of dedicated hard control players.

At least I can just slam 30 cards with type "zombie" in to a pile and win games now, so that's kinda fun?
So you were basically correct. Marvel wins the day overall and you can indeed slam 30 zombies into a deck and turn your cards sideways to win, even a pro tour.

You whiffed on the Mardu, but that is just because everyone was ready for them. So standard is now who get a the first aetherworks marvel on the board, yaaay.

I think this means you now 100% have to play black or red, to get access to removal and a sweeper effect for zombies and have good enough removal for ulamog.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I feel like in 10 years there's going to be a lot of looking back and saying "Thank god EDH/Eternal formats were able to stem the bleeding those 4/5 years magic blew goats. Now, are you going to trade your Gideon for my UltraPlatinumExpeditionUncommon or do I have to redeem another MTGVR set?"

Sterling

El Presidente
Standard has been fucking awful since Theros for sure.
I sort of enjoyed the Blue devotion deck when Theros first came out. The problem was after 2 additional sets the deck was still like 68/75 identical at the end of the format.