MTG thread

Lusiphur

Peasant
Dammit HT. All this talk has made me think about getting the bug again. Everything I have is in MTGO, sold all worthwhile paper last year (lots of Legacy stuff) and I prefer Modern to Standard (especially this rotation). That being said, I miss playing paper because you cant read your opponent on-line. There is a shop that does FNM here in Edinburgh but it is Standard only it seems.
Did MTGO get fixed after it went tits up last year?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I dunno, I've never gotten into MTGO. I have friends who play pauper, and I've thought about doing that just for the practice when I can't get to a shop. I only got back into the game early last year when some friends opened a hobby shop, but at this point I'm pretty deep into it again. I haven't recovered everything that I sold over the years but I'm getting where I feel like I can build most of the decks I'd want to. I still really miss all my old vintage power and dual lands, though.

I'm with you on not liking this standard very much. I love RTR, and Theros is fun in principle for in practice its very boring right now. Spoilers for the next set will start on Monday and I'm hoping for something exciting to break up the mono-blue/black monotony. In the meantime, I've been playing Modern a lot and Legacy when I'm able. There's a fairly strong Legacy scene around me, but a lot of the folks involved are the kind of players I generally avoid.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Is Goyf even played that much anymore? I thought people replaced him with Scavenging ooze.
Not even remotely. He's the most expensive card in Modern by a wide margin. Even for Legacy, he's one of the most expensive cards played. More expensive than Jace, Karakas, LED or any land that isn't Underground Sea or Tabernacle.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It is core for anyone running green creatures. Jund, RUG Delver, Shardless BUG in Legacy, and countless Modern decks. It's the second most played creature in Legacy behind Deathrite Shaman according to mtgtop8.com statistics.

Doubt

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't played since Ice Age. Used to run a five-color rainbow deck. Here's part of it...
Images in spoiler due to size.

1st pic is three moxes
2nd pic is 19 dual lands, 3-4 of them are unlimited, rest is 3rd ed.
3rd pic is a beta shivan dragon, 3rd ed.fork, spinal villain, old man of the sea,3rd ed. vussuvian doppleganger, and a beta berserk.

rrr_img_55782.jpg

rrr_img_55780.jpg

rrr_img_55781.jpg

I'd like to sell them, they are sitting in my closet with a few hundred other cards, but the only stores I can find that will buy cards want me to ship them across the country.

Xalara

Golden Squire
You can probably get more money selling to players anyway. I know a few local people that would probably buy up the lands at least. Would still require you to ship across the country but you would at least get potentially more monies. Want me to get you in touch with them?

Also, with that kind of collection you can negotiate prices with the gaming stores too.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Finally got everyone together on New Years Eve and gave them there Christmas presents. Bought my GF a deck to. So I have created at least 5 addicts, one of my buddies wives wasn't to excited but everyone else was super stoked. They all went out and spent money the next day. Mission accomplished!

Lusiphur

Peasant
I haven't played since Ice Age. Used to run a five-color rainbow deck. Here's part of it...

1st pic is three moxes
3rd pic is a beta shivan dragon, 3rd ed.fork, spinal villain, old man of the sea,3rd ed. vussuvian doppleganger, and a beta berserk.

rrr_img_55782.jpg

rrr_img_55780.jpg

rrr_img_55781.jpg

I'd like to sell them, they are sitting in my closet with a few hundred other cards, but the only stores I can find that will buy cards want me to ship them across the country.
Shops are only going to give you 50pc value, at best. If you want to realise the most value from your cards I would recommend sticking them up on Ebay individually. I did that myself with my Ice Age > Stronghold cards and made over a thousand bucks. I listed at roughly 70 pc of Starcity Games online price and sold them within a week.

For what you have there you are talking a lot of money. Check current prices first and haggle hard.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

1st pic is three moxes

rrr_img_55782.jpg

rrr_img_55780.jpg

rrr_img_55781.jpg

Wow. That is quite the prize sitting in your closet. :p I'm super jealous, I had to sell what was left of my collection (60+ revised duals) after my house flooded.

You're going to want to sell directly to other players. If you sell on ebay you're going to get maybe 70% of what they're worth, then paypal and ebay are going to take another 7% or so.

There are a LOT of players out there who want these cards right now, you just have to find them if you want top dollar.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Stores will pay more than their normal 50% buylist price for cards like moxes/duals. They list that price on the buylist, but they are willing to negotiate on them. If they buy a $20 for $10, they profit $10 if it even sells. If it doesn't, they lost $10, risk vs reward is worse on those cards. If they buy a $1,000 for $750, but they know it will sell since it's so rare, then they take that $250 profit and are happy to do so. There's almost no risk involved, so they pay more.
Hell, email ben bleiwess (Starcity's buyer) directly and he'll probably offer you a better price then every other store in this case, especially since those moxes look like they are in great condition. If any of the cards are close to flawless, you may just want to send the best cards in to get graded.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've sold cards on eBay a number of times and was able to get fair prices and never got fucked over but should you decide to go that route I would recommend not shipping anything out of the country. Some guy from Italy wants to buy your stuff? Just save your self the time and shove them up your ass now.

The huge collection of duals makes me feel more gushy inside than the moxes. Something about those Tropical Islands. Goddamn.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You should look for any Force of Will in your collection. I dunno if you stopped at Ice Age or Alliances, they run together for most people, but that card is worth as much as the duals despite being an Alliances uncommon.

Arabian Nights mountains are also worth like 50 dollars a piece.

And if you have Ice Age cards, you probably have a bunch of Ice Age Brainstorms. They were commons. And they're worth a few dollars each.

Antiquities Hurkul's Recalls went up to like 20 dollars each recently, and Candelabra of Twanos is worth quite a bit too 150. Mishra's Workshop is worth like 300 each.

Xalara

Golden Squire
I asked around at Card Kingdom (they're a big online retailer but I live near their brick and mortar store) today and there's definitely a few people willing to buy at least the Unlimited dual lands. See your private messages for contact info, Doubt.

Also, that sucks being so close Grabbit
frown.png
Hopefully you can do it. There's a PTQ in Seattle next week and I'm thinking of going to it. My choices are: Mono-black devotion or esper midrange. I feel like I should play esper midrange, but at the same time I don't have much experience with it. Where mono-black devotion I have lots of experience with.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I was there in the afternoon but I wasn't playing. I haven't done much standard lately so I just showed up to trade. Unloaded a bit of edh stuff for some modern/legacy staples. That's the shop closest to home for me so I go there fairly often for modern on Wednesdays.

The dude who won works at another place a few minutes further away where I go for FNM. Super nice guy.

Went to a Standard PTQ today in Atlanta. I was one win short of top 8'ing =(.
How many people were at that PTQ? I went to one in Columbus, OH last weekend with 338. I thought it seemed like a lot, but maybe that's normal. I started off 4-1-1 before my deck just plain gave up on me and I lost the last 3 in a row...

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
They had to turn people away from the Atlanta PTQ because they ran out of table space. Raven's Nest just isn't large enough for more people than that. It was so crowded early in the rounds that I bailed on trading and came back after the round 4 drops.

Did alright yesterday though. Picked up a set of Griselbrand, a Jitte, couple Stoneforge Mystics (which are skyrocketing right now), another Knight-Errant and a Scroll Rack. The only thing I might miss is Linvala, but I've been moving away from playing Pod at GP Richmond.

I need to settle on a Modern deck soon and stick with it to really learn all the lines. Scapeshift is pretty fun but seems very weak to certain SB cards. I've got Grixis Delver (and UR Delver by extension) built but I'm not sure that it's my style of deck.