NAS

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Cross your fingers, but you're probably fine unless you have 2 drives completely drop out of the pool. Fast and dirty calcs say 15+ hours for 6 TB over gigabit.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It's a few days later because work interrupted me. Got all the data copied in ~12 hours, though one of my old drives indeed failed during the process. Swapped the new drives into the old NAS, imported the pool, relinked my mount points, and everything seems good to go, beyond a brief moment of panic when the NAS failed to boot because I had accidentally bumped the SATA cable to the system pool SSD.

All in all, not too bad. Now I can use the remaining functional old drives for some kind of longer-term backups. Appreciate the advice, guys.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have a QNAP TS251, pretty old at this point but still works ok. One of the drives in my RAID1 configuration is sprouting bad sectors and SMART warnings. Can I just physically replace the bad drive and the RAID1 configuration will automatically copy over without data loss? I mean, I guess this is the exact purpose of RAID1, just never actually replaced a bad drive in one.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I have a QNAP TS251, pretty old at this point but still works ok. One of the drives in my RAID1 configuration is sprouting bad sectors and SMART warnings. Can I just physically replace the bad drive and the RAID1 configuration will automatically copy over without data loss? I mean, I guess this is the exact purpose of RAID1, just never actually replaced a bad drive in one.
Yes, should be that easy if you haven't done it yet, having used QNAPs for a number of years.

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Just ordered my first proper NAS, a Synology ds1522+ and 2 * 24gb drives. Put it through my business to reclaim the 20% sales tax.

I was using a Mycloud EX2 ultra which I picked up second hand. It's technically a nas and ran Plex ok, but I could never set up the torrent feature so still used a desktop client.

I'll use this one for Plex, bitorrent and hopefully a roon server

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
So I've got my Synology Nas and installed a qbitorrent container.

I can access it through the webui but I want to save the files to a different location eg they either go in NotAutisticServer/Media/Films or NotAutisticServer/Media/TV but it's set up as NotAutisticServer/docker/qbittorrent/config/downloads

If I try to use a differnet path then the download doesn't start

1721152890962.png

Captain Suave

I don't have experience with whatever OS you're running, but it sounds like the container doesn't have access to the larger file system. There should be a way to mount your target directory inside the container.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I've got my Synology Nas and installed a qbitorrent container.

I can access it through the webui but I want to save the files to a different location eg they either go in NotAutisticServer/Media/Films or NotAutisticServer/Media/TV but it's set up as NotAutisticServer/docker/qbittorrent/config/downloads

If I try to use a differnet path then the download doesn't start

View attachment 537005

Not familiar with snyology but on my qnap Nash using containers I have to set up bind points for file system

Like the config is /config on the container pointing to /Nas/folder/config

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I've heard a lot of good about TrueNAS, but still debating. Right now my home file service is literally a windows system with an array of 8TB disks.

Unrelated... I'm wondering when these will be on market and how ludicrously expensive they will be.

• 3Mother of God
  • 1Weird Boner
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

bolok

Trakanon Raider
enterprise drives are stupid expensive. I'm not a super fan of the current arc of freenas -> truenas (linux vs freebsd) but that's a personal jihad of mine. If you are looking to run a dedicates nas, and use zfs- which are both good ideas then they are probably the most sensible option of the open source BYO options out there.

Captain Suave

Just migrated from TrueNas Core to Scale after disovering that NextCloud had stopped working a while ago. Surprisingly painless process, though I think I might have lost my Plex database despite trying to back it up.

Edit: I managed to retain the important part, which was the watched status of the libraries. My "added recently" lists are borked, but that doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider

Going to have to watch some videos about this - my Synology is coming up on 10 years old (DS1513+)