NCAA Basketball- Corruption Arrests

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is it a federal law that student athletes can't get paid?

Well, more the inverse. It's all smoke and mirrors to get colleges to pay into it by claiming it's an amateur organization rather than a professional sports organization. Making it a professional sports org is the toppling of the first domino to the dismantling of the NCAA due to the removal of it's veneer as simply collegiate sports.

NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma - Wikipedia

They seem to rely on this case. This article explains more.

Court shuts down plan to pay athletes, says NCAA violates antitrust law

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Me:

IMG_0367.JPG

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Disagree. These schools making 100+ million a season for the big schools on just football. Most being state schools? Lets say 25K a year on the low end? 40k on the high end? Those ratios are all outta whack.

Plain and simple...major college sports are so large to the schools income as far as alumni donations, funding other sports etc that it's worth the risk of paying these kids on the side and taking the hit later. Rick Patino is out. Louisville would take him and his "program" back in an instant if they could regardless of how embarrassing he may be at times.

The pay doesn't need to be much. 20K a year on top of that "education"? A small percentage of the net income? Whatever. Just keep it reasonable and even across all sports and schools to shut everyone the hell up.

Fuck that, get these pieces of shit off campuses. They have no interest in being there and no reason to be there. Let athletes go to farm leagues and the pros etc at 18.

This shit has pervaded our educational system. Its a huge fucking problem and mess. And there is zero benefit to it. Yeah yeah, money. So by that logic, the schools are higher quality with all this money? But we all know they aren't.

I don't know what the solution is, but paying these fucking momos to go to school is not it. That does nothing to further the goal of higher education. It just incentivizes crap you don't want and brings in a bunch of shit bags that have no interest in learning.

Let the shit bags go catch balls at 18 for money. Let universities go back to educating.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Louis

Trakanon Raider
NBA would have to change their rules for any of that to become reality and that's most likely not going to happen. Players are not going to go to farm leagues/overseas with zero exposure over college when they have a choice between the two.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
NBA would have to change their rules for any of that to become reality and that's most likely not going to happen. Players are not going to go to farm leagues/overseas with zero exposure over college when they have a choice between the two.

Watch the draft, there's plenty of overseas exposure. The NBA will find good players. There are players that have and will continue to go overseas to play instead of college.

Drafted 21st this year. Just the easiest example I could think of:
Terrance Ferguson - Wikipedia

Now you may ask, why haven't more kids done this? Because they are able to play here in the states and get paid (through black market), so why wouldn't they stay? If that market evaporates, I guarantee more and more top tier talent will make their way overseas and make money while they wait for the draft.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Watch the draft, there's plenty of overseas exposure. The NBA will find good players. There are players that have and will continue to go overseas to play instead of college.

Drafted 21st this year. Just the easiest example I could think of:
Terrance Ferguson - Wikipedia

Now you may ask, why haven't more kids done this? Because they are able to play here in the states and get paid (through black market), so why wouldn't they stay? If that market evaporates, I guarantee more and more top tier talent will make their way overseas and make money while they wait for the draft.

Good luck with that market evaporating.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Good luck with that market evaporating.

If the FBI starts dropping the hammer and makes it harder/more punitive to pay these kids under the table, then it may make more sense to go overseas.

I'm not really arguing with anyone, I love college sports and basketball in particular. I'm in the camp that wants college sports to thrive. We just need to stop with the pretense that these are amateurs, especially considering that everyone around the athletes is making money except the athletes. Remove the unnecessary amateur label and let things happen out in the open.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's not college sports.

It's professional sports using indentured servant college age athletes who LARP as legitimate academics.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If you take the students/alumni out of the equation, you loose probably over half of the people wanting to watch these indentured servant athletes.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If you take the students/alumni out of the equation, you loose probably over half of the people wanting to watch these indentured servant athletes.

"But if we free the slaves, who will pick our cotton!?"

"But if we stop illegal immigration, who will pick our strawberries!?"

"But if we stop indentured athletes, who will play in our games!?"

• 1Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Fuck that, get these pieces of shit off campuses. They have no interest in being there and no reason to be there. Let athletes go to farm leagues and the pros etc at 18.

This shit has pervaded our educational system. Its a huge fucking problem and mess. And there is zero benefit to it. Yeah yeah, money. So by that logic, the schools are higher quality with all this money? But we all know they aren't.

I don't know what the solution is, but paying these fucking momos to go to school is not it. That does nothing to further the goal of higher education. It just incentivizes crap you don't want and brings in a bunch of shit bags that have no interest in learning.

Let the shit bags go catch balls at 18 for money. Let universities go back to educating.

Easier said than done, because the schools are the ones getting the most out of this scenario - not the student athletes. You think OU opened up this state of the art bleeding edge art museum full of Picasso's, Monet's, Van Gogh's in Norman Oklahoma, free of charge no less, because of tuition? Education? Bob Stoops and Toby fuckface Keith paid for that thing with football exposure and increased athletics revenue.

It has nothing to do with education, or quality of education due to increased money - that was the guise it took, but the truth is the AD's, Presidents, Coaches, etc ALL are complicit and ALL are taking a share of this revenue in increased salaries, better retirement plans, etc. They ALL have real financial interests in keeping this thing going just the way it is, and it will never change unless REAL heads start to roll (AD's, Presidents, etc) at MAJOR universities (SMU = LOL), on a massive scale. This will probably get swept up under the rug as it usually does, but my glimmer of hope here is the guy at Okie State throws everyone at OSU under the buss, including Brad fuckface Underwood (quit the DAY AFTER LOSING HIS TOURNEY GAME THIS YEAR, and directly hired the guy the FBI is prosecuting at OSU), and that piece of shit gets actual jail time.

Bilas has a few interviews doing the rounds that hits the nail square on the head, and I can't stand Dookies or Bilas usually...

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

What is this huge problem? It's a problem upon itself only. It allows for better institutions all around because of the crazy cash flow. Bringing in peoples outside cash to better the in schools are worth a trade off of a few "shit bags".

• 1Picard

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Easier said than done, because the schools are the ones getting the most out of this scenario - not the student athletes. You think OU opened up this state of the art bleeding edge art museum full of Picasso's, Monet's, Van Gogh's in Norman Oklahoma, free of charge no less, because of tuition? Education? Bob Stoops and Toby fuckface Keith paid for that thing with football exposure and increased athletics revenue.

It has nothing to do with education, or quality of education due to increased money - that was the guise it took, but the truth is the AD's, Presidents, Coaches, etc ALL are complicit and ALL are taking a share of this revenue in increased salaries, better retirement plans, etc. They ALL have real financial interests in keeping this thing going just the way it is, and it will never change unless REAL heads start to roll (AD's, Presidents, etc) at MAJOR universities (SMU = LOL), on a massive scale. This will probably get swept up under the rug as it usually does, but my glimmer of hope here is the guy at Okie State throws everyone at OSU under the buss, including Brad fuckface Underwood (quit the DAY AFTER LOSING HIS TOURNEY GAME THIS YEAR, and directly hired the guy the FBI is prosecuting at OSU), and that piece of shit gets actual jail time.

Bilas has a few interviews doing the rounds that hits the nail square on the head, and I can't stand Dookies or Bilas usually...

What this man said...

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I guess if you dont care about parity. The cash in some of these conferences are being split unevenly to the better schools. Add in all this collusion and bribery just making it worse. I guess if you dont care about competition its fine.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What is this huge problem? It's a problem upon itself only. It allows for better institutions all around because of the crazy cash flow. Bringing in peoples outside cash to better the in schools are worth a trade off of a few "shit bags".

So why have tuition prices risen 1-30% over inflation each year? Shouldn't all the big sports schools (especially state ones) be free?

In the AZ constitution, ASU needs to be "as free as possible", but all this money coming in for stadiums and sports related expenses and tuition continues to skyrocket.

Hmmmm

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I guess if you dont care about parity. The cash in some of these conferences are being split unevenly to the better schools. Add in all this collusion and bribery just making it worse. I guess if you dont care about competition its fine.

Lol competition!

There is competition between the top 10% of schools with the occasional outlier sneaking in.

The small schools aren't even in the mix for the top tier prospects football or basketball.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Lol competition!

There is competition between the top 10% of schools with the occasional outlier sneaking in.

The small schools aren't even in the mix for the top tier prospects football or basketball.

What drives that lack of competition I wonder.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
So why have tuition prices risen 1-30% over inflation each year? Shouldn't all the big sports schools (especially state ones) be free?

In the AZ constitution, ASU needs to be "as free as possible", but all this money coming in for stadiums and sports related expenses and tuition continues to skyrocket.

Hmmmm

Think of the cost without the sport money rolling in.

Schools are competing for students so they are building ridiculous facilities to entice students. And it's basically a war of escalation just to keep up. But seeing as they have a blank check from the government, as long as students are willing to take on the debt, there's no stopping what these schools will build and then charge. Never mind administrative departments that don't do shit, but will continue to justify their existence and expense.

Big education is a scam and the left is more than happy to perpetuate that scam because it is the church of the left.

And that's entirely parallel to what going on in the athletic departments.