Nepal 7.9 Earthquake

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I hope you fucking homos who are saying Everest is so easy have climbed it yourself without oxygen or guides, to show us lazy bros how easy it is.
Did your strawman do it without oxygen or guides?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Everest is still a serious fucking risk. People die every single year on that mountain, Sherpas included. Clueless fucking forum warriors in this thread.

List of people who died climbing Mount Everest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Add to the fact, that nearly all of the bodies are just left there for eternity. Once in the "death zone", you are fighting for your own life for each and every breath. No one is risking their life hauling down corpses. Honestly something like 200+ bodies on the mountain out of the 250'ish deaths.

Over 200 Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

But yea, whatever forum bros... it's just a walk up a cold hill. *rolleyes*
It's a risk. People die. But in mountaineering circles, it's not difficult to climb.

How many strawmen have died in this earthquake?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I hope you fucking homos who are saying Everest is so easy have climbed it yourself without oxygen or guides, to show us lazy bros how easy it is.
Think the idea is "in comparison to other 8000m peaks, Everest is easy." Considering other 8,000 meter+ peaks have a 20% or great mortality rate for those who attempt to climb it, its fair to say relatively speaking its pretty easy.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like reading about high altitude mountaineering and watching videos too. I'm not a climber or have any inclination but it just fascinates me and blows my mind, especially K2. I think "easy" is the wrong way to look at it. Just that by comparison, K2 or Annapurna are orders of magnitude more dangerous and technically challenging, but Everest gets all the attention because its the highest. K2 is not that much lower yet scarier in every way. But that doesn't mean climbing Everest is just some walk in the park that anyone with money can just jump off the couch and handle.

Hell even Kilimanjaro, which is literally a walk to the top, can be tough on people just from altitude and that doesn't even involve the freezing ass death temps. No eight thousander is "easy".

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...Hell even Kilimanjaro, which is literally a walk to the top, can be tough on people just from altitude and that doesn't even involve the freezing ass temps with ice and snow. No eight thousander is "easy".
Good point. I have a friend here who is on attempt #3 at Kili. First time was just shitty luck and caught a cold on the flight over. Did not complete. Second attempt was turned back by altitude sickness.

God damn altitude sickness, levels the playing field. You could be a world class olympic athlete and be crippled by it or in less than optimal shape and be perfectly fine. No rhyme or reason to it. Just have to take things incredibly slow and climb high / sleep low, optimally with some rest and acclimatization days mixed in.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sure if you live in high altitudes it helps. But I think part of the thing with Kili is youcanmove pretty quick due to the relative ease of the actual route. But that means you're going to be moving to higher altitudes faster than you can adjust. People do shit like live at base camp in the alpine mountains for a week or some shit to acclimate. People who aren't high altitude climbers go after Kili in less than a week of hiking and it leads quickly to the sickness.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Killi also has more than half a dozen routes of varying length and difficulty. Just depends on what you want to do.

Generally speaking though, you are right. If you don't know any better, one could blaze up the easier routes and get fucked by the altitude.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'd spend a few weeks in someplace like Denver before even attempting a Himalayan trek to LOOK at Annapurna.

But here I am ... sitting at 100 feet above sea level
frown.png

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A trek to look would be amazing in its own right I'm sure. Unless you got avalanched by an earthquake or something.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Just back to the difficulty of Everest. Many deaths have happened because there's a fuckin' lineup on the Hillary Step. People's oxygen run out, they get too cold, it pushes their summit return into the night, etc. Dying because of a fucking lineup!
tumblr_mo08vqxYPo1qjmafro9_1280.jpg

A-photograph-of-a-line-of-008.jpg

Dying because K2's serac at the bottleneck falls on your head is much more badass.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd spend a few weeks in someplace like Denver before even attempting a Himalayan trek to LOOK at Annapurna.

But here I am ... sitting at 100 feet above sea level
frown.png
I am right at sea level and did a section of the Annapurna Circuit a few years back. Again, it really just depends on your suscepibility and hiking methods. Having access to altitude prior to a trip would be hugely beneficial, of course.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dying because K2's serac at the bottleneck falls on your head is much more badass.
Didn't a bunch of people die above the bottleneck after a serac broke the fixed lines and they were stuck in the death zone with no way to descend back down through it?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Didn't a bunch of people die above the bottleneck after a serac broke the fixed lines and they were stuck in the death zone with no way to descend back down through it?

It's on Netflix I believe. The doc itself is a little disjointed, but great footage and will keep you on the edge of your seat.