Nepal 7.9 Earthquake

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Over 1,000 dead and the area has been completely leveled. I'm surprised at how little coverage it's getting on the news networks(CNN, BBC News).

Nepal earthquake: Death toll passes 1,000 - BBC News

Tons of landmarks have been completely destroyed.

_82566884_tower-better.jpg

_82559447_026909100-1.jpg

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Rofl proof that there is a caring and kind god. I mean what better way to improve the lives of the people who live in one of the shittiest placest on Earth than by an extremely powerful earthquake???

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No one has cared about Nepal since that crazy son killed his whole family so he could be king. Thats why so little press coverage.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No one gives a fuck about Haiti but everyone and their mom was down there doing news coverage.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Listening to their emergency net via ham radio on 14.210 Mhz and the net operator is giving a lot of info but he gives out locations that don't mean much to me and google didn't help much. Probably lost in the translation or noise.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
So I'm kind of an Everest nerd. I love docs on 8000er climbing.

I'm surprised the Everest deaths were mostly at base camp. I've always assumed base camp was at a safe distance from avalanche danger. I'd love to get more details on where the avalanches originated from.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The thing about the Everest deaths, in my view, yes they are a tragedy, but people going into that excursion are fully cognizant that things like this can happen, so its sorta like "Well, you knew that there is at least the potential things like this can happen, so it sucks but at the same time, I'm not going to be losing sleep over it".

The deaths across the rest of the region, the destruction of all the temples and the historically relevant structures in the region, and the deaths of all the poverty stricken citizens of Nepal are a little more important/tragic, yet probably won't get as much coverage as the Google exec who died in the avalanche on Everest.

Not saying its not a tragedy, of course it is. Just, they knew the risks that were involved. People still die on the excursion to the mountaintop as well on the regs, and end up being left there because its too expensive/difficult/dangerous to get them back down.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Crazy. Apparently came from the mountains behind them.

rrr_img_95718.jpg

rrr_img_95719.jpg
Man that sucks, in a rich white person on an expedition kind of way. I've been doing some reading on K2/Everest lately myself. Can you imagine the pants shitting that would happen if you were doing the Hillary Step and a motherfucking 7.9 decides to shake the mountain? Hell even doing the Khumbu during one of those would be enough to make me question my sanity.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Everest climbers already know that what they are doing is the complete opposite of safe. its why climbing all the way to the top is considered a major achievement. at least those people died in a kickass way doing what they loved instead of dying like a dog with a hundred other people in some crappy hotel.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Everest climbers already know that what they are doing is the complete opposite of safe. its why climbing all the way to the top is considered a major achievement. at least those people died in a kickass way doing what they loved instead of dying like a dog with a hundred other people in some crappy hotel.
Yet in the end, the people dead in the crappy hotel are just as dead as the people attemping to climb a mountain. Dead is dead.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As someone who went to Nepal a few years back and did some trekking, you sound like dicks dismissing the Base Camp deaths as rich white people deaths. That's absolutely not true. The Base Camp trek does not require money or significant mountaineering skills at all. Just a moderate level of physical fitness. There are loads of school / university trips to Base Camp from around the world. People from all walks of life do that trek. Beyond Base Camp up into Camp 1 (past the khumbu icefall), Camp 2, and the summit are the hardcore and big $ expeditions.

Those Base Camp deaths are far more likely to be average joes just like you and I.

The entire thing is a tragedy and the poor of Nepal will suffer for this for years to come.

If you want, Oxfam is a great and reputable charity that is collecting relief money. I highly recommend them.

Oxfam America

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yet in the end, the people dead in the crappy hotel are just as dead as the people attemping to climb a mountain. Dead is dead.
we are all going to die, if you had to choose the way you want to go, dying while climbing mount everest is probably a few rungs higher than dying with a hundred other people because you all picked the wrong hotel to stay in.