Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Which do you guys think is better? I currently have netflix but thinking about moving over to Amazon. I just don't really know if it would be better or worse?

Loftish

Lord Nagafen Raider
While I'm sure you are aware, don't forget about the added benefit of getting free two-day shipping using Amazon Prime. I don't do much streaming yet Amazon Prime easily pays for itself simply for all the last minute shopping I'm able to get done due to Prime.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Streaming wise Amazon is ok in a pinch but nothing like Netflix. First they lack a lot of HD stuff netflix has and on top of that Netflix has a much larger selection. I also find the UI on the Prime video boxes to be inferior is just about all ways (samsung TV / Roku etc). If you are really into network shows Hulu / Hulu plus might be a better supplement although I really don't care for much on network TV these days.

Not to say prime is useless, I use it for the shipping, streaming not so much. Definitely inferior to netflix.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I buy Prime for the shipping, I don't think I've used it a single time in 2 or 3 years for video.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I got prime for true shipping, super cheap with an .edu email address. I use the streaming occasionally but there isn't alot there mainly im just looking for when newer movies go free for a weekend or so. I will say in regards to shipping I don't use amazon nearly as much as I did before they started charging tax somehow their prices just are not that much better anymore .

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I do Amazon Prime for the shipping. The streaming experience selection is not great, and forget about using their interface on one of the streaming devices(Xbox, PS3, Roku, etc), it's trash.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Pleasantly surprised to find all the seasons of Fringe on Prime. I've never watched and am looking forward to marathoning it when I get some time.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, Fringe rules.

That said, I've never even used the streaming on Prime and I've had it for years. =\

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
I only use Amazon Prime for streaming, have used Netflix in the past but sometimes it's so fucking annoying that I"m looking for a movie and is not available AT ALL with netflix, whereas in Amazon prime, I usually can find the movie or something similar that I can at least rent for 1.99.

I also like the interface for Roku, isn't that bad, and also, you can from work or whatever go to amazon website and put stuff in your watch list so they're ready to go when you go home without having to search

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hate the UI on Amazon Prime, its always lumping the free to stream and pay to stream videos in the same categories.

Aztlan_sl

shitlord
Netflix by far is the better service. Like others have pointed out, Amazon does have the nice feature of purchasing new movies or renting it immediately, where that isn't available on Netflix.

pii199

Lord Nagafen Raider
Netflix hands down. For me there isn't much I want to watch on prime. I keep prime because I order so much junk off amazon.

silverflame_sl

shitlord
Why not both. Depending on what plan you have now, you can get the Netflix streaming for 8 bucks. I don't use Amazon that much so the shipping wouldn't be a factor in my opinion. The other alternative is hulu, either the free base selection (which is pretty good) or the plus.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Hate the UI on Amazon Prime, its always lumping the free to stream and pay to stream videos in the same categories.
IIRC, you can stream everything you can buy, which is why they lump them together. So, just "watch for free" instead of "own".

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
IIRC, you can stream everything you can buy, which is why they lump them together. So, just "watch for free" instead of "own".
No their UI is just a fucking mess. If you are looking for your prime free streaming they have fixed it so that you can narrow it down to only show free shows, but it's still terrible. TV shows aren't lumped into one season, but are strewn all over the place in no discernible order. Movies will show up multiple times in a given "genre list" in multiple formats(there is no filter to restrict anything). It's just a terrible experience that I would not recommend if Netflix is an option.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
To those wondering about Fringe and Netflix...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...ge-to-netflix/

Netflix and Warner Bros. have signed a deal that will deliver several popular shows to the streaming service.

The companies announced today that they have signed a deal that will see several Warner Bros. Television Group shows make their way to Netflix, including "Revolution," "Fringe," "The West Wing," and "666 Park Avenue." According to the companies, Netflix will be theexclusive online hometo complete prior seasons of the shows.

All told, eight shows are included in the deal, but in the future, more could be added.

Time Warner, which owns Warner Bros., has been busy lately. The company announced recently that HBO, a company that it owns, extended a licensing agreement with Comcast-controlled Universal that will see the studio's movies become exclusively available in the paid cable channel during the pay-TV window -- the period that kicks off after movies are made available for sale on download and discs.

The deal Warner Bros. has struck with Netflix will not ban Warner Bros. from making its programming available via "traditional syndication windows," the company said. Downloads and reruns also sit outside of this deal.

CNET has contacted Netflix for further details on the agreement, including information on when the programming will be made available to the streaming service. We will update this story when we have more information.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Prime is pretty great. I bought it for the shipping but it turns out they have a decent amount of movies for streaming. I don't know if I'd buy itjust forthe streaming but it is a pretty sweet little addition combined with the shipping if you buy everything from Amazon like I do.