New movies that dont deserve their own thread.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1690871700127.png

Watched this to see Dakota Johnson (pretty much will watch her in anything), quickly turned on the movie and basically hate-watched the last 90% of it.

This movie really encapsulates everything wrong with our current society and dating system. It means "single" not in the sense of being single and going your own way, but that other definition of "single" where you're sleeping with like 4 or 5 people and none of them are "serious".

It has so many opportunities to send a good message but it always seems to flip 180 and go in the opposite direction every time you think it's going to say something good.

For example, Dakota Johnson's character starts out being responsible and chill, then starts becoming a big drinker after she moves to NYC, and over the course of the movie she goes full-on alcoholic, constantly drinking and waking up with hangovers. One scene she has like 8 beers and loses count, and I thought she'd stop and realize how much she was overdoing it...nope. Another scene she meets her ex for coffee and is drinking multiple mimosas at 8:30 AM, and the guy even comments on it and declines having any because "it's...8:30 AM" and you think it's gonna say something positive...nope, it's more like he's the stodgy one. After a while she's a mess and her apartment is a mess and she's rolling out of bed in her clothes from the night before and it's played off as being cool. It was clearly negatively affecting her life more and more, and I was waiting for the movie to stop and address it, or point out that binge drinking constantly actually wasn't a virtue, but it never did. A girl I know died from heavy alcoholism so it pisses me off to see a movie like this glorifying it.

This whole movie felt like a propaganda piece in "how to make society weaker" and "act like this and fuck up your social cohesion please" and how to keep tumbling down the hole we're tumbling down. Every bad thing everyone did was rewarded, every unhealthy behavior was presented as a virtue, and it whiffed on every opportunity to teach anything better. Great movie to watch if you just want to get angry, I guess.

Also, Rebel Wilson's character is fucking gross, just an absolute Jabba the Hutt she-beast, rolling around binge-drinking and boning a different guy every two hours and occasionally going home to bathe while her 300 pound walrus-body probably stunk to high heaven. Turns out her character was rich from inheritance so "she didn't have to work" but she did anyway to meet guys. That "why do you even work then?" attitude in movies is really weird, really downplays the value of hard work and makes it entirely a means to an end to pay your bills. Some people work to keep themselves busy and work hard even if they "don't have to", maybe the 20 year old generation doesn't understand that, I don't know.

So goddamn rustled that I wasn't sure whether to put this in the rate thread, the rustled thread, or this one.

Fuck this movie and whoever wrote it and put it together

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob

out already on the high seas 🏴‍☠️ yarr prob gonna watch it this weekend. supposed to be a decent comedy and j law is full nude but i've already seen her butthole

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Light of my life - 5.5/10
I only watched this because Casey Affleck is pretty reliable, generally. It's pretty much a straight rip off of The Road with Y: the last man thrown in. Except it's a girl instead of a man. Not really worth it.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I decided to watch Limitless. Failing Bradley Cooper gets his hands on an experimental drug that boosts the power of his brain to 100%. Spoiler alert our main character is a stupid super genius because the writers are dumb as fuck. It was okay. It had actors, a budget and a premise but it really needed a better script.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I decided to watch Limitless. Failing Bradley Cooper gets his hands on an experimental drug that boosts the power of his brain to 100%. Spoiler alert our main character is a stupid super genius because the writers are dumb as fuck. It was okay. It had actors, a budget and a premise but it really needed a better script.
I liked how it ended but other than that it was one giant Deus Ex.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Limitless was also strange in that I think the TV Show was better than the movie, if I remember. Been a long time since watching though.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I liked how it ended but other than that it was one giant Deus Ex.

Me 30 minutes in - "SO HE PAID THE MOB BACK ON THAT LOAN, RIGHT." Nope, he didn't because reasons. What really bugged me is despite some of the themes being there he doesn't ever figure out to not take his cock out and put it on the table. Carl, our Jamie Dimon figure, has a little bit where he tries to explain to him that he lacks the wisdom to act like something other than a smug prick that thinks he's the smartest person in the room but it's not really part of the story.

Say you came across a drug that would change the entire world. The guy you got that drug from was murdered, you called the police, everyone knows you're the last person to see duder alive other than the people that killed him. Time to make national news by cranking out 2.4 million dollars worth of profits in a week trading stock. You just told every single person in the world that knows about the existence of this drug that you're on it. It's going to take them three minutes to figure out where it came from. There's all this room for intelligence versus wisdom or lessons about natural ability versus hard work. His learning is presented as effortless which means he isn't really working for it or anything else. How about this. His whole life he's been skating by on his natural intelligence and good looks without ever really applying himself and now that he's starting down the barrel of 40 with a book deal he was just good enough to talk a publisher in to but not good enough to actually write. His girlfriend realizes he peaked in college and leaves him. The rest of the story plays out mostly the same. At the end of the second act he realizes that even though he's on NZT-48 he's still not really trying . He's is forced to face the truth. He's still the same lazy fuck he always was. The only difference is that now the consequences are 10000x more severe than having to give an advance back to a publisher. Strung out and on the run he finds the inner strength to solve his problems with hard work, determination and guile rather than a magic pill.

I'm also bothered by Bradley Cooper's big ambitions are to jet around partying, go in to finance and then politics. You could be Tony Stark or Lex Luthor and you're running for senate? What a myopic fucking vision. Take humanity to Mars. Crack immortality. Nope! United States Senator.

But it's still alright.

• 1Worf

Goatface

Mob Land​

A sheriff tries to keep the peace when a desperate family man violently robs a pill mill with his brother-in-law, alerting an enforcer for the New Orleans mafia.

=
probably best to only watch 1st 30 seconds of trailer as it seems to go tell the whole story.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Limitless was also strange in that I think the TV Show was better than the movie, if I remember. Been a long time since watching though.
Steams my buns that the show only got one season, too. It was fucking awesome.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

lol "What if we made Life of Brian, but he's black, and its not funny at all"

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Me 30 minutes in - "SO HE PAID THE MOB BACK ON THAT LOAN, RIGHT." Nope, he didn't because reasons. What really bugged me is despite some of the themes being there he doesn't ever figure out to not take his cock out and put it on the table. Carl, our Jamie Dimon figure, has a little bit where he tries to explain to him that he lacks the wisdom to act like something other than a smug prick that thinks he's the smartest person in the room but it's not really part of the story.

Say you came across a drug that would change the entire world. The guy you got that drug from was murdered, you called the police, everyone knows you're the last person to see duder alive other than the people that killed him. Time to make national news by cranking out 2.4 million dollars worth of profits in a week trading stock. You just told every single person in the world that knows about the existence of this drug that you're on it. It's going to take them three minutes to figure out where it came from. There's all this room for intelligence versus wisdom or lessons about natural ability versus hard work. His learning is presented as effortless which means he isn't really working for it or anything else. How about this. His whole life he's been skating by on his natural intelligence and good looks without ever really applying himself and now that he's starting down the barrel of 40 with a book deal he was just good enough to talk a publisher in to but not good enough to actually write. His girlfriend realizes he peaked in college and leaves him. The rest of the story plays out mostly the same. At the end of the second act he realizes that even though he's on NZT-48 he's still not really trying . He's is forced to face the truth. He's still the same lazy fuck he always was. The only difference is that now the consequences are 10000x more severe than having to give an advance back to a publisher. Strung out and on the run he finds the inner strength to solve his problems with hard work, determination and guile rather than a magic pill.

I'm also bothered by Bradley Cooper's big ambitions are to jet around partying, go in to finance and then politics. You could be Tony Stark or Lex Luthor and you're running for senate? What a myopic fucking vision. Take humanity to Mars. Crack immortality. Nope! United States Senator.

But it's still alright.

The show and movie both had the same plot hole where there are other people who take NZT and have the same effect as on him, but nobody else seems to do anything with it. Shouldn't they all have made a side effect free version? How did nobody else think about something so obvious when they're all impossibly smart?

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
This isn't new (2019) but I saw no other place to complain. Tried to watch Little Women with my mom. Mom loved the book. I've never read it.

We couldn't hear / understand 9/10 of the words spoken. It might as well have been in French. We kept turning it up and then BOOM TAVERN MUSIC. Even when we got the volume right they kept talking over each other. Then that dork from the newish Dune movie shows up and all he ever does is mumble. I couldn't understand a goddamn word he spoke in either movie.

Why is movie audio so shit now? The scenery was lovely and I sort of half guessed a vague idea of the story so it wasn't all bad. It had Hermione Granger in it.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Think of Surviving the Game, with women, and a twist. Also, lots of gurl powa and going so overboard in making men into clownish pigs you can't help but laugh.

Kinda kills your point, though, when you only win over men because they stand around waiting to die or do incredibly stupid shit. Or forget, "Oh wait, I'm a man, I'm 6x as strong as this petite woman".

For all that, I've seen far far worse while spending a few hours sorting cards.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Think of Surviving the Game, with women, and a twist. Also, lots of gurl powa and going so overboard in making men into clownish pigs you can't help but laugh.

Kinda kills your point, though, when you only win over men because they stand around waiting to die or do incredibly stupid shit. Or forget, "Oh wait, I'm a man, I'm 6x as strong as this petite woman".

For all that, I've seen far far worse while spending a few hours sorting cards.

That looks like it was filmed on an motorola phone.

Brikker

Trump's Staff

Hollywood gonna Hollywood.

"Described as a feminist version of Frankenstein, the film follows a childlike yet adult-bodied young woman — characterized by some as a “bizarro Barbie” — brought back to life by an unorthodox scientist. “Poor Things” was given an R-rating for sexual content, graphic nudity and disturbing material."

• 1WTF
  • 1Barf

Goatface

Poor Things (2023)
imdb Parents Guide
Bella has sex with various men while working at a brothel in an extended sex montage sequence.
Bella and Duncan have sex in a montage sequence.
Bella uses a cucumber to masturbate to orgasm.
Stone is fully nude on a table during a flashback to Bella's Frankenstein-esque resurrection - however, only breasts are visible.
Finally, Bella experiments with lesbianism. She gets fondled/licked by her madam while topless on a bed, then her prostitute friend performs oral sex on her.

• 1Like

Caliane

Hollywood gonna Hollywood.

"Described as a feminist version of Frankenstein, the film follows a childlike yet adult-bodied young woman — characterized by some as a “bizarro Barbie” — brought back to life by an unorthodox scientist. “Poor Things” was given an R-rating for sexual content, graphic nudity and disturbing material."
Frankenstein was written by a women...

• 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 2 users