New Nexus phone & tablet

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Invite only! Fucking hipster phone.
frown.png

Turgur_sl

shitlord
I don't understand how you guys can say its price is horrible. Compared to other high end phones it isn't bad.

iPhone 6 (16GB): $649
iPhone 6 (64GB): $749
iPhone 6 (128GB): $849

iPhone 6 Plus (16GB): $749
iPhone 6 Plus (64GB): $849
iPhone 6 Plus (128GB): $949

Moto X (2014): $499

Galaxy Note 4: $699-$825 (depending on carrier)

LG G3: $599 (T-Mobile price)

Galaxy S5: $609.60 (T-mobile)

HTC One M8: $649

Keep in mind the on-contract prices haven't been announced. Are you guys saying it's overpriced because you're used to cheap Nexus phones? Because the last Nexus phone to come to Verizon was $649 off contract (Source:Verizon Galaxy Nexus retail price: $649 | Android Central) and the last several Nexus phones have not been top of the line like this one.

But yes, the thing is fucking huge. I'm going to wait to play with it in in-store before I decide if it's too big. It probably will be.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yes, it's pricing sucks compared to the previous Nexus phones. I'd rather have one that's not at the very top of the line for a reasonable price like N4 and N5. Either way, I don't want one of these big-ass phablets, so the pricing is moot.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
650 is to much for a phone in my opinion even if it's the average. That is why the companies are laughing all the way to the bank when they lock you into these 2 year phone contracts. Also why the fuck would you ever pay 649 for a previous Nexus? It was like 400 or so for the top Nexus 5 from Google.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I don't understand how you guys can say its price is horrible. Compared to other high end phones it isn't bad.

iPhone 6 (16GB): $649
iPhone 6 (64GB): $749
iPhone 6 (128GB): $849

iPhone 6 Plus (16GB): $749
iPhone 6 Plus (64GB): $849
iPhone 6 Plus (128GB): $949

Moto X (2014): $499

Galaxy Note 4: $699-$825 (depending on carrier)

LG G3: $599 (T-Mobile price)

Galaxy S5: $609.60 (T-mobile)

HTC One M8: $649

Keep in mind the on-contract prices haven't been announced. Are you guys saying it's overpriced because you're used to cheap Nexus phones? Because the last Nexus phone to come to Verizon was $649 off contract (Source:Verizon Galaxy Nexus retail price: $649 | Android Central) and the last several Nexus phones have not been top of the line like this one.

But yes, the thing is fucking huge. I'm going to wait to play with it in in-store before I decide if it's too big. It probably will be.
It has already been said in this thread. Is the price ridiculous for a feature phone? I say yes, but it is in line with current high-end phone costs. We're disappointed because the Nexus line has been just under feature phone level for a fantastic price. For no reason, Google goes and fucks off with a phone that no one really wanted outside of the Nexus niche and very few inside the Nexus niche will purchase. Since the Galaxy Nexus, I have purchased every Nexus phone as close to release day as possible. This time I'm skipping. From online sentiment, it seems this is the general consensus. It makes me sad because it is the end of an era of nice, reasonably priced phones.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Wasn't Google previously selling the Nexus line at break even to get people invested in the Android system?

Now that system is matured, Google don't need to carry on pricing the Nexus brand so low and aim more upmarket. Handsets running Android may be dominant but iPhone turns in more profit when sold.

The N6 seems to be made of a more desirable material than before too.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I very much doubt high-end aftermarket phones have a meaningful market segment in the US. They might, some day, but not if they cut off support like this.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wasn't Google previously selling the Nexus line at break even to get people invested in the Android system?

Now that system is matured
N4 released in late 2012, less than 2 years ago. The Android phone market was firmly established by then. I thought a lot of the initial reasoning was to push higher end features in to less expensive phones, with a vanilla Android experience and not the shitty skins and shit that companies were doing. Same for the Nexus 7 and the tablet market. Android tablets were established and the lower price/higher performance 7" from Amazon and B&N were creating a market there, but the N7 pushed it forward in the same price range.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I wonder whether there just wasn't much to improve on the N5 at that price point? Going from N4 to N5 added LTE, which is a pretty big deal if you're in an area that gets LTE signal. But on that screen size, do I really care about whether the resolution is 1080p or something higher? Heck, I don't even know the resolution on my N5. The phone certainly isn't struggling to run any apps, battery life is more than a day, and... not sure what else I should care about?

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Something I've been wondering - is the 649 actually the Google Play pricing? The phrases I've seen seem to sound like that is the prices the carriers will offer at, which would be similar to previous gens.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Something I've been wondering - is the 649 actually the Google Play pricing? The phrases I've seen seem to sound like that is the prices the carriers will offer at, which would be similar to previous gens.
That's a good point. I don't think I've seen a specific mention that it would be the Google Play pricing, so it's possible the Google pricing would still have a subsidized discount.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
There was a leaked AT&T listing for the N6 at $49.99, but that was believed to be a placeholder price.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
What is this 1+1?
Home - OnePlus.net

All the people bitching about the N6's price are completely missing the point that the phone actually has 100% premium features. The N5 was "dumbed" down (albeit slightly) upon release compared to other phones of it's time/genre. The N6 is a premium "phablet" and they didn't skimp on anything. It works with all carriers, will get updates faster, and not have the bloat bullshit that all the other phones get.

Nexus One: $530 (not reduced)
Nexus S: $550 (not reduced)
Galaxy Nexus: $600 (not reduced)
Nexus 4: $300 (comparatively discounted - $600 for S3)
Nexus 5: $350 (comparatively discounted, slightly below specs than peers)

So the price really isn't that out of hand. At all. And their aim is to have a straight up competitor to other flagships instead of a discounted phone that is mainly to show off the latest features of Android. At least that's what it seems. It is an awesome phone imo. Maybe I'm way off base but I think people are idiots for getting butthurt over the price.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So the price really isn't that out of hand. At all. And their aim is to have a straight up competitor to other flagships instead of a discounted phone that is mainly to show off the latest features of Android. At least that's what it seems. It is an awesome phone imo. Maybe I'm way off base but I think people are idiots for getting butthurt over the price.
Right, but a "top of the line" phone isn't what people really want out of the Nexus line. They want a phone with above average specs (with a price point to match) and a lack of bloatware. The N6 is essentially an S5 without the carrier bloatware. That's totally fine, but it just isn't what people wanted/expected out of this line of phones.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The N6 is essentially an S5 without the carrier bloatware. That's totally fine, but it just isn't what people wanted/expected out of this line of phones.
Lolwut? It isn't even the same type of phone as the S5. Maybe Note 4? I could buy that argument, absolutely. But the S5 is... like what? No. It seems like Motorola has the best line of phones that are comparable to the N4 and N5. But my point was that the Nexus line was only how you described for two iterations of it, really.

Also just noticed I was like a year late in replying on my previous post, whoops.