New Nexus phone & tablet

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I meant in the sense that it has "top of the line" specs, not necessarily adirectcomparison.

And even if the Nexus was only how I described for two iterations, it was the most recent two, and thus what consumers were "expecting" out of the N6. I'm not saying Google pulled the wool over anyone's eyes, they just aren't releasing a product that most people who liked the Nexus line for what it was want.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
N6 is a Note 4 without the stylus.
Well almost
Nexus 6 comes without bloatware (I think. Nice positive)
Stock Android (Not touchwiz bullshit also positive)
Without Stylus (may or may not be an issue for each person. I could survive just fine without one on my note)
Without External Storage (BIG BIG negative for me personally)
Some camera differences (I give 0 fucks about but this either way some people really care about this)
Better pricing (but it is getting a price increase over previous generations)

For me the kicker is external storage. I have a huge high quality audio book library that I keep on my sd card and while I don't listen to all of them at once I do like to have that readily available when I am in the mood to listen to my favorites. I tried uploading them to google music and listening to them on demand but that just drained my battery and caused AT&T to start bandwidth throttling.

Also it seems like the lack of support for external storage is just a money grab from device creators when they do it. Otherwise going from 32gb to 64gb internal storage would raise the cost of the phone by like $10 bucks.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Enough about the phone. Do we think the tablet is going to be ok for looking at comics (my only use case for a larger tablet)?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Enough about the phone. Do we think the tablet is going to be ok for looking at comics (my only use case for a larger tablet)?
Sure. Standard comic pages are 6.625" x 10.25". A 10" tablet is ideal, but 9" won't be bad. Especially if the app lets you pan around conveniently.

But if it's mainly for comics you really do want a 10" so it's a full size page in portrait mode. The bright side is you don't need a lot of horsepower for this. If you can find a cheap Nexus 10 or Tab 10.1 or something like that you'd be golden as far as comics go.

9" will be lighter though, quite possibly worth the trade off for a slightly smaller screen. Folks say they have no problem reading on a 9 either so there's that.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
I think people are missing the point while arguing about minutia.

It's AS expensive as every other phone out there. Thus there is nothing setting it apart.

The reason the Nexus line was a success was the price point.

When someone goes into a store, they are probably going to gloss over this phone and get a Galaxy Note.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
^ true. People who are pretty big tech geeks probably won't gloss over it, but the general public I would imagine will. And it isn't even cheaper than the Note 4 if you consider the (basically) $200 off Samsung is running right now.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think people are missing the point while arguing about minutia.

It's AS expensive as every other phone out there. Thus there is nothing setting it apart.
Ignoring it? It was pretty much the first thing discussed. Should the entire thread just be endless posts about the price or are we allowed to move on to other points?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
We can move on to other points on Wednesday, October 22nd. Please continue to discuss the price frustration. Thank you.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The price is so frustrating that I came and shit at the same time. I mean, that's not healthy right? I couldn't even tell which action was more pleasurable.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I would say it's only unhealthy if it's coming out the same hole. Who doesn't enjoy a good dump and pump once in a while?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The more I think about it, the more sure I become that I'll get the N6. It's got the specs to keep me happy for 2-3 years, but the most important bit is this:

Network
2G/3G/4G LTE
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/8
LTE: Bands: 2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/41
CA DL: Bands: B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-29, B4-B5, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29

All those radios in 1 device. As a prepaid user this is a fucking godsend. Barring manufacturing/design flaws being exposed after it releases, I will be buying this as soon as I can afford it.

Essentially, the last week for me has been this:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Nope, but options are always good, especially if I plan on staying with this phone for over 2 years. If I ever see LTE in my area I'd probably switch carriers to whoever has it if the rates are reasonable. Hell, if a carrier finally eliminates the dead zones I encounter on the drive to work I might switch.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looks like my speculation that the 649 price was only the carrier price was wrong, at least according to articles I've seen Play has it for the same price. Also unusually I haven't seen it on the Canadian Play store.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, it is up on the Play Store now for $649 for 32gb and $699 for 64gb. Still can't actually order it yet, but it is showing on there.