New Progression Server confirmed

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
lol @ people saying this isnt how classic was...so clueless. EQ classic was never hard.

Also guilds locking down raid mobs = classic experience. Too many cazzies (casuals) used to instanced stuff
It's a valid arument though. The raid mobs are being taken down by mostly mage teams (see my SS above). I agree raids are not difficult, but they are pretty damn EZ mode with the current live pet code. That is nothing at all like classic.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, Daybreak (I feel so weird calling them that) has never re-tooled the game to replicate how it really was. That's why servers like p99 exist. Pet code is obscene. And it's that way at the high end too (last I checked) even after like 3 big nerfs. Imagine how it was before any of those nerfs landed.

Also I think pets don't push anymore (and players push a lot less than before), preventing catastrophic positioning hazards from having a lot of pets out.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
They've already got every single bit of code that I'm talking about already in game except for maybe the pet targeting - that's the only "If" part.

Zonewide auras exist in at least a dozen zones that I'm aware (probably well over that now), reducing HTH damage effects exist, reducing spell damage effects exist, reducing overall damage exists.

Adding absolutely nothing new besides an NPC in each zone to do the AE is the entirety besides using effects they already use. If any of that stuff would be breaking stuff, it would be doing it all over the place already. Heck, Prathun (I think it was him at least) over TLP2.0's buildup confirmed it would be "easily doable" - and you know how much of a pessimist he is - he just didn't like the idea of fielding the "Why does x work differently than Live" questions all the time or "Why does my spell hit less than it's written?" in the case of the casting debuff.

Period. That's the problem is confusion over the different results of abilities and such. The difficulty should be moot unless whatever dev it was back then was full of shit, which I somehow doubt things have gotten harder in 5 yrs.
Just because something is easy (read: not technically difficult) doesn't mean it is effortless. Hammering nails is easy. Building something takes a lot of effort. With the heavy handed layoffs last spring you know that they're running more of a skeleton crew than ever. They're presumably up against a deadline of delivering another expansion this fall and any effort spent customizing this server will directly impact that work (regardless of how "easy" it is).

The elephant in the room is that they knew they wouldn't need to do the effort to bring back the nostalgic players anyway. Every other post in this thread the past few days has been bitching about login queues so it's safe to say that gamble (if it can even be called that) paid off.

Make sense?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Eh, while the pet code sucks and I wish they'd have customized things better, the sooner we get to Kunark the better. Problem is, the server will probably be a ghost town by then, making Kunark somewhat unnecessary to spread players out.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
lol @ people saying this isnt how classic was...so clueless. EQ classic was never hard.

Also guilds locking down raid mobs = classic experience. Too many cazzies (casuals) used to instanced stuff
This is asinine; you needed some semblance of a proper group to do lguk/solb in classic. Now, it sounds like a mage and cleric can duo anything non-raid in the game. That is wholly unlike classic EQ.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
You never played classic if you think any group killed both dragons and Phinny two days later...
It was about 3 months in classic; First servers opened in March and Vox/Naggy went down in June, IIRC, and Phinny a little later, right? I remember the Vox killing occurring right around when I started, which was June. I don't think people figured out how strong pets were for a little while longer; when was the big hubbub over that Necro solo FD camping Guk king room?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Probably because Daybreak has said from the start there would be no GM enforcement and the server was the "wild west"?

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Ragefire in a nutshell: it's fun, but too many people are bitching about pointless crap like mage boxing, crowds, and the login queue. People seriously need to just shut up and enjoy the ride...

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Everything is proceeding exactly as forseen.

Okay, except for instant level 50's. That was damn funny.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Dude had the balls to stream while repeatedly training. WTF did he think was going to happen? Never go full retard while "testing" the rules of a game.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There are somewhere between 0 and 1 GMs assigned to/dealing with this server at any given time I'd wager, so the fast that it was <10 minutes for him to get banned is pretty hilarious. Someone clearly has the batphone number in TL.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I had a problem yesterday morning where my entire inventory, equipment, and bank was wiped out. I petitioned. Relogging restored everything but the only reason I tried that was because I wasn't being contacted by a GM. As the day went on no GM ever contacted me.

Ten minutes to get shown the door isn't done by petitioning. It's done by texting that GM you know. That's the problem people have with it. It's a server where all disputes are settled by damage races, there's limited GM involvement, they said they wouldn't be getting involved in disputes over training, and then a dude gets instantly hammered? C'mon. It's a holiday weekend.

This kind of thing bothers me more than the rest of the shit with Ragefire so far. One of the few ways to combat a mega guild is to unshackle the rest of the population. If I was the if I was the dude calling the shots at Daybreak for this I'd reinstate Kungen and make an official post that GMs will not be getting involved in those kinds of disputes.

"have at it, boys"

If the mega guild has "call a dude on the phone" levels of GM backing than who cares. There's no reason for anyone to even start another guild and try. The first time a raid mob goes down to another guild through a combination of memblur, luck, and damage a GM is going to show up and make it all better.